Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just want to talk...

It's been a bad week here. We had to take my Mom to the hospital on Sunday, had a 104.5 temp and bad stomach pains. Turned out it was diverticulitis. She was only supposed to be there a day or two but there's been complications with bleeding and heart irregularities. So I'm at the hospital 2 - 3 times a day, and also trying to fit work in. On top of all this I'm trying like hell to stay on the semi-soft diet, but I can never remember to bring my shakes with me. Ahhhhhh, it just seems like I can't catch my breath, you know? And to make matters worse, I've only lost 1 pound in the last 2 weeks. I know I'm not getting enough excercise, unless you count walking the halls of the hospital excercise. I know this will all resolve soon, but this is just sheer hell right now.

Thanks for letting me vent, hope I didn't babble too much!:redface:

I'm sorry to hear about your mom. Make sure she eats right as to not get any flare ups. I know this is a rough time, but hang in there. :redface:

Sorry you're having such a rough time. I do know what you're going thru though and maybe I can give some help. 4 days after my surgery I had to rush my husband to the emergency room with a brain tumor. They put him in ICU and operated 3 days later. Running back and forth to a hospital that's about 20 miles away was a pain. The best thing I did was pull out a tote bag so I remembered to take my shakes. I'd just make up some ziploc sandwich bags with enough for a shake in it. I'd get a carton of skim milk from the nurses or cafeteria to mix it. Found that SF pudding was the easiest food to transport. Also, most hospital cafeterias have low fat yogurt and Soups. I carried a little 2 oz scoop from my Protein Shakes to measure food. Hope that helps some. Hope your mom is feeling better soon.

Sorry you're having such a rough time. I do know what you're going thru though and maybe I can give some help. 4 days after my surgery I had to rush my husband to the emergency room with a brain tumor. They put him in ICU and operated 3 days later. Running back and forth to a hospital that's about 20 miles away was a pain. The best thing I did was pull out a tote bag so I remembered to take my shakes. I'd just make up some ziploc sandwich bags with enough for a shake in it. I'd get a carton of skim milk from the nurses or cafeteria to mix it. Found that SF pudding was the easiest food to transport. Also, most hospital cafeterias have low fat yogurt and Soups. I carried a little 2 oz scoop from my Protein shakes to measure food. Hope that helps some. Hope your mom is feeling better soon.

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll give it a try. Have had the Soup in the hospital cafeteria the last 2 nights - neither of them low-fat. Good luck to you and your hubby. You'll be in my prayers!!

Bexter, I'm so sorry you are under such terrible stress. Your mom must have been in so much pain. I hope she is on the mend.

You sound like you are doing well on your eating, even without the shakes. It would be so easy to eat out of machines and drink coffee all day long or grab something at a fast food restaurant but you are doing the best you can under the circumstances. Better than lots of people would do. Try to remember your shakes. Maybe you could bring a few Slim Fast Optima or Atkins canned shakes and keep them in your Mom's room or at the nurses station. sugar free Jello and SF Jello puddings are great to carry around if you have a big purse. Those yogurt to go drink things are good. They ALWAYS have beef and chicken broth at the hospitals. You could always ask to have some sent to your moms room. Throw some bullion cubes in a zippy bag and keep in your purse.I think there is a cream of chicken cup a Soup that you just mix with hot Water. You might be able to have that in a pinch.

You have the rest of your life to work with the band. Right now you just do what you have to do to get by.

Hugs for you and your mom.

Jena