Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

OMG!!! Liquid Diet

Hi Katerzz, Sorry you're feeling so blue. It's gonna get better. When you first start the liquids, just the thought of it even hurts your heart (smile). But then you find after a couple of days that it's really not as bad as you may have thought. I used the Atkins Protein mix and incorporated some other liquids in between (broth, Jello, popsicles, fruit 2-0...) to help ease the boredom. I know you can do it!! The best to you!!!

aaawwww, i feel soooo bad for u. I once went to a doctor who put me on a medical watched liquid diet for three weeks and it was L-A-M-E. The worst part wasnt even the hunger, it was those awful things they made me drink. If i could have picked my own liquids, like Soup or whatever, it would have been ok. But those awful shakes...PUKE!!!

Remember its only 2 weeks....its only 2 weeks...its only 2 weeks...hang in there!!!

They won't let you mix it with milk? I have the same exact stuff and tried it with Water and about gagged! But when I mix it with milk it tastes fine to me.

I just make sure that I use 1% or 1/2% milk to mix it with. I don't see why they'd have a problem with that?

Good luck to you, and hopefully you'll adjust to everything ok. I agree that it was nasty of them to spring this on you so suddenly and not let you know ahead of time. That would suck! :)

Katie, this whole thing sucks. Yes, your band will be worth it, but your doctor's office has been irresponsible, telling you about the liquid diet at the very last minute, demanding that you go on $200 supplements, then -- only when you insisted -- saying that it was OK to use a cheaper version after all.

EAS makes a halfway decent shake (not the clear liquid) in berry and orange flavors, but the chocolate one tastes just as chalky as the strawberry stuff you described. And the Atkins powder is just plain nasty.

You WILL get through this. It won't be easy, but we're all here for you. Even those of us who didn't have to follow liquid diets before surgery still had to stick to liquids after banding. And I'm sure I'm not the only one who tried all kinds of horrible liquid diets in (futile) pre-band attempts to lose weight. I like Tina's idea of making this your own personal Fear Factor. . . the band, and eventually a smaller body, will be your reward. You might want to search the food forum for other Protein drink suggestions. Good luck!

okay.. i went and took the strawberry kind back and got mango peach..

all i can tell you is that its like eating the biggest cheeseburger in the world compared to that other stuff

so.. if anyone needs Isopure DONT get strawberry!!! lol

I did cheat a little today tho.. I drank one serving (200 calories) and had 1 saltine cracker (14 calories) and for the first time all day i finally feel full!!

well ive had 3 glasses of 200 calories each of the mango stuff..

i doubt its the drink itself maybe its being SO hungry but if i drink Water i gag and i feel like im going to puke.

my poor hubby made himself dinner tonight and i had to go bury my head in bed because the smell was making me sick.

im seriously starting to doubt my decision i know its just nerves and feeling but this is hard and im only on day one. i would assume its easier AFTER the surgery when u dont have a big ole tummy crying out hunger

ok after much talk with my husband I decided to go to the store tonight and get some sugar free Jello and popsicles along with some chicken broth.

Ive decided to take out one of the servings (200 calories) a daya nd replace it with broth since broth fills me up a LOT better and its not even 100 calories a can.

so now ill do two 1 scoop servings of Isopure (100 calories each, 6 oz of water) and two 2 scoop servings (200 calories each, 12 oz of water)

so itll be

1 - 1scooper - 100 calories

1 - 2scooper - 200 calories

1 - 1 scooper - 100 calories

1 - 2 scooper - 200 calories

1 - can of chicken broth - 50 calories

1 - can of chicken broth - 50 calories

and then to get my last 100 calories i figure ill do popsicles/jello/pudding all sugar free and low on carbs.

ill tell u.. just having one can of chicken broth has made me feel 100000000 times better.

Put it in a blender and whip the dickens out of it throw in some ice cubes. I would have bought vanilla and then you can put your own flavoring in it. Almond etc, Instant coffee etc. You can do this. As may MIL always tells me when I need pep talk "And this to shall pass" No one said this is going to be easy, but once it is over and you have your band and the weight is coming off you will look back at it and say "Yeah, I did it"

Well guys I spoke to my dietcian today and shes absolutely FLOORED that this is what my surgeons office did.

She pointed out that first of all that much Isopure in a day for 2 weeks they will end up canceling the procedure because of a Vitamin overdose. She noted that i already had symptoms (metallic taste, bathroom issues, weakness, shaking) And at this rate i will be not able to go through with the surgery.

So here is what she did:

instead of 800 calories of isopure, i go down to 400 per day. And i dont have to use isopure.. i can use ANY Protein drink and there is MUCH cheaper stuff than isopure. (sometimes i think the surgeons office do get kickbacks!!)

The other 400 calories i can figure out myself.. as long as i stay with mushy/liquid ill be fine and if i go over 800 im fine just dont go over 1200 and stay away from fried/high calorie stuff.

YEY! i can handle this!! omg i can soooo deal with this lol so when my hubby gets home were going to get Soup and liquidy stuff like pudding and such. she told me if im starving.. to eat.

she said theres two problems that the surgeons nurse didnt address...

-that much protein/vitamins will cause a person who doesnt take Vitamins to become very ill and get dehydrated

-if i get sick in any form before the surgery, it will be canceled and if im not well during the surgery and as healthy as can be recovery will be very bad

soooooooooooooooooooooooooooo im not stressed anymore i feel good (other than i gotta pee every 5 mins it seems) and tonight im making Soup and eating dinner with my hubby!!!

now.. as for the surgeons office im a little worried now i mean this is kinda a big screw up on their part.. so when i go to preop i will be discussing my concerns with the surgeon because something like this could definately screw everything ive worked so hard for up.

I guess i learned a very important lesson.. if things dont seem right or settle well with you, get a second opinion!