Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Frustration With Doctor

I posted on 3/21 that I had been approved. However, I called my doctor several days before and told his nurse. Too date, I have not heard from them and left several messages about getting some of the testing set up or at least coming in to see him. I have not had a return call and am feeling a little frustrated. How I realize all things take time, but I was wondering how many of you heard right away from your doctor once you were approved and am I expecting too much? I am at 12 days with no response...HELP!

Hi Grammi,

Every doctor's office is different and unfortunately they're not often in as much of a rush as their patients are. In lots of cases, though, the surgery date is actually chosen before the request for precertification is even submitted.

Sorry I don't have any concrete suggestions for you. Keep pestering them, I guess!

I am a self-pay, so the day I went in to talk to the doctor, my surgery was scheduled that very day.....I knew when I walked out of the office that my surgery would be on 4/6/07....they gave me the date to start my two week liquid diet and that was it....

I was self-pay and they were very responsive. I had done my research and I WAS GOING TO GET THE BAND NO MATTER WHAT. So I said, I'm self-pay, I want this done TOMORROW-but I know that's not realistic, so lets get everything done I need. So they scheduled me for my pre-op requirements that the doctor requires (evaluation, meeting, consultation thing.. psychological exam..) did that about 2 weeks later, and we scheduled my surgery that day. I am very lucky and GLAD I did not have to sit on this for a while. Once I set my mind to something, I'm anxious.. Even the month (I think that's the total time it took me from my first meeting to surgery) it took before the surgery, I was wishing I could have gone any day in between!

Keep pestering!! :)

I felt the same frustration as you, Grammi. I was approved 2 weeks after the request was submitted (they use a dummy date on the pre-certs). I only had to do bloodwork and a sleep study. The sleep study to forever to schedule and even longer to get the results out to the Dr. (I had to go there and request a copy so that I could send it out).

Anyway, at the time, I opted for the RNY. As the time kept passing, I started to learn more about the lap band. I changed my mind and my nurse was furious. She questioned my new decision. Well...I kindly told her that it was my body, my insurance, my business! A new request had to be submitted to my insurance co but I had already contacted the ins co and asked. No problem. That only took two weeks for the new pre-cert.

I started the process in May '05. I requested the lap band in Nov '05. I did not get contacted about a date until Feb. Had my surgery March 15, 2007.

So yes...Its very frustrating and sometimes you feel like you want to yell at them. But, in the long run, its well worth the wait. Hang in there!!!