Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Why do manufacturers do this ???

So I went and bought myself a weeks worth of single serving Cereal bowls - I know it would be 'cheaper' if I just bought the large box and separated everything myself, but I'm still not comfortable with my portion selections.

ANYWAY - I had gone with the intention of picking up some Special K cereal (thinking it would be healthiest) and while I was there I picked up some rice crispies (my FAVORITE) figuring having them as a treat wouldn't be HORRIBLE ... well lo and behold when I turned them over to compare and prepare myself for how HORRIBLE those crispies are when I noticed that the Special K was MUCH worse.

So I figured I'd pick up the HEALTHIEST cereal there - Kellogg's Smart Start - well it had 7x the sugar vs the rice crispies. More carbs, more calories, more EVERYTHING.

I wonder if for years I wasn't making the "wrong" decisions while THINKING I was doing the right thing.

Label info for your comparison (this is based on the single serving cup) :

Calories in Kellogg's Smart Start - Nutrition Facts, and Healthy Alternatives - The Daily Plate Calorie Counter

Calories in Kellogg's Rice Crispies Cereal Cup - Nutrition Facts, and Healthy Alternatives - The Daily Plate Calorie Counter

Holy cow! That is quite the difference - I too would have thought that Rice Crispies would be worse...

I think it's because of what people put on the krispies that make them so horrible ;) With the right knowledge of what to add and not add and eating it in moderation you'll be fine.

Well, what made you think that the smart start would be the healthiest? Was it advertised as the healthiest or something? (I don't know, I don't watch much tv).

Well, what made you think that the smart start would be the healthiest? Was it advertised as the healthiest or something? (I don't know, I don't watch much tv).

I've never seen it advertised - but the packaging has the whole "heart smart" thing going on.

Kellogg's® Smart Start®

Rice Krispies, I thought, were sugary and just all around "bad" for you.

But side by side (assuming that you're using the same amount of the same milk in each) it appears that the 'sugary kids cereal' is better for you.

I think many food providers, and in particular cereal makers, are trying to cash in on the high fibre, higher Protein craze that is supposed to satisfy you longer and make you feel fuller. They are also trying to get into the "snack" market, pretty successfully as far as I can tell.

For example, your serving of the smart start has 6 grams of fibre and 8 grams of Protein compared to you rice krispies that has 0 fibre and 2 grams of protein. Unfortunately, just like when you start working with the products, you usually replace one ingrediant for another. Low fat products are notorious for replacing fat with sugar. What is better or worse for you?

What is irritating me is oatmeal. I eat a package of instant oatmeal every day (I am too lazy to make from scratch and I usually eat it at the office). Anyways Quaker sells 12 packages of regular oatmeal, 10 packages of 33% less sugar oatmeal and 6 packages of weight control oatmeal - all for the exact same price!!!!! The weight control oatmeal has only slightly more protein (6 compared to 4), and slightly more fibre (6 compared to 3) and a little less sodium, but costs almost double. The marketing people have it all figured out let me tell you! :redface:

I dont know why people insist on thinking Special K is healthy! Assuming Special K here is the same as special K there, its just processed white carbs - its low on fibre, has a tiny bit of added Protein and doesnt offer anything more than any other processed cereal.

Stick with oatmeal or muesli, those are GOOD carbs. And by oatmeal I mean the stuff you put in a saucepan and cook, not something processed into a mush that cooks in 1 minute in the microwave. Your body and your weight will thank you for it. If you pop your muesli bowl in the microwave for 30 seconds after you've put the milk in, its nice and hot. Or eat it cold. Or pour some boiling Water on it out of the kettle, let it sit for a few minutes to absorb, then eat it with yogurt.

Otherwise, avoid cereal and have some good wholegrain toast instead, or something else entirely.

Sorry for the lecture, lol, but you wont find a really healthy cereal amongst those sorts of choices, you've got to eat the grains in their natural state.

Manufacturers will put on the packages whatever spin will sell the product - e.g. "heartsmart".

You can't make a good decision until you read the label and know what you are looking for. I was amazed at the difference in fibre cereals. So far the winner is Fiber One with 60 calories for 1/2 cup.

The smart start cereal is NOT diet food. However, compared to the rice crispies, which has NO Fiber and only 2 grams of Protein per serving, the smart start has 6 grams of fiber and 8 grams of Protein. Yes, it also has added sugar, probably to mask the taste of those "healthy additives".

And I'm not sure why you are under the impression that rice krispies are a "sugary kid's cereal" They're not sweet at all, and have very little if any added sugar. This is why we need to read labels.

Mcanns Irish Oatmeal is whole grain steel cut and instant. Sometimes I add flax meal to it for extra fibre and some splenda. Also raspberries add extra fibre and very delicious.

p.s. I thought we weren't suuposed to eat and drink at the same time- how is anyone eating cereal unless its dry???????