Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Stupid Sleep Apnea!!!

Just got off the phone with Dr. Kim Scmitt's office and they insist on 5-7 hours of documentation (from the card in the machine) a night. I honestly have tried and tried and tried to use that machine, but end up ripping it off at about 2am. I do not rest at all with it. So now they have agreed that if I give them 5 nights worth of data (5-7 hours a night), then they will release me for the surgery! So please pray for me to be able to tolerate this machine for at least 5 days! Any tips on how to make it would be greatly appreciated!!

=)

Shawna

Naps count! Also, it doesn't know if you're sleeping. Use it while you're watching TV. I had the same problem. Just keep thinking of the end result!

You need to give it a chance. I have been on my cpap machine for 3 yrs now. I love it! Once I lose another 20 lbs. I'll have another sleep study done and maybe I can get off of it then. It saved my life! After I am off the machine, I plan to donate it.

Good Luck!!!

I love my CPAP too. Before I got it I would get so tired during the day that I would have to nap or I litterly couldn't stay awake. Is there something that is uncomfortable on the mask? Maybe it's too tight. I keep mine as loose as possible to still maintain a seal. Tell your RT whay it's bothering you. There are lots of different mask types and nasal pillows. Keep trying.

In my case, I first tried the nasal pillows which were more comfortable, but by morning my nose was all pushed up and HURT for a couple hours. So, I switched to a mask, just to complete the test. It kept me from sleeping soundly. It fit, I just like to sleep on my stomach and just couldn't do it. But, I completed the test and it's now in the closet waiting for surgergy.

Thanks for all the support!! LOL! Well I struggled through it last night. I put it on at 10 and woke up at 12am, 1am and 3am and at about 3:30 I pulled that sucker off and got in 1 hour of sleep without it. I had to be at work at 6 this morning. 1 down and 4 to go. I also sleep on my stomach or side and I have long hair and there is no way to put it up comfortably with the mask. But I am keeping those positive thoughts, it is worth the end result!

I just love this group!

I love my CPAP. I feel so horrible without it that I can't imagine doing without it.

I was never able to use the nose pillows, but I sleep with the mask that covers mouth and nose, I have super long hair, and I sleep on my side. I guess it's what you get used to.

I pull my hair up in a ponytail on the top of my head at night, then just slip the pony through the top opening when I put it own, and slide right into it.

It did take me a bit to figure out how to sleep on my side with it, but I figured out that if I sleep with two pillows and angle one slightly, so that my head is actually cradled by both of them, the tube goes up and over the pillows and I'm happy as a clam.

I'm sorry you have such a hard time with yours.

bamab,

My mask covers my nose and sits above my mouth and I can't sleep without it either. I flip the hose above my head, it's now more like my "trunk". I put my hair in a ponytail too on top of my head and I sleep on my side. At one time I tried taking a large size hair clip and attaching the hose to my ponytail, but it's really not necessary. I go to CPAPtalk.com when ever I have probs with the machine and that seems to help.

bamab,

My mask covers my nose and sits above my mouth and I can't sleep without it either. I flip the hose above my head, it's now more like my "trunk". I put my hair in a ponytail too on top of my head and I sleep on my side. At one time I tried taking a large size hair clip and attaching the hose to my ponytail, but it's really not necessary. I go to CPAPtalk.com when ever I have probs with the machine and that seems to help.

I used to have the one that sat above my mouth, and I was given the full mouth/nose one to try and I loveloveLOVE it. DH calls my hose my trunk, which I think is funny. Somehow I wound up with an extra long piece that goes from mask to machine, so I never have any problems with reach, or whatever.