Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The Mental Part

So most of us here are here because we could not control the eating on our own - usually tied to some issue that we're trying to cover up. Or at least I know that's how it is for me. I'm an emotional eater and everything from happiness to depression to boredom is associated with food for me. We I've had my surgery and things have gone very well so far. I'm down 31 pounds (yeah!!) but now I'm starting to have to deal with the yucky stuff now that some of the glam is going away. For the last couple of days I've been a nice combination of tired and a little depressed - which worries me because I don't want to go out and do something stupid like binge. I've added more Protein to what I was eating, and that helped with the fatigue, but not so much with the depression. It's not bad yet, but does anyone have any suggestions for helping get through this part of it? Am I the only one going through this?

Thanks,

Depression as in clinical depression - or do you mean just a little down in the dumps?

If the second I think that is sort of a normal let down from the hype and the newness wearing off. If the first, then see your doc.

I went through a depression very early on. My husband and I were having some communication issues, and the whole surgery thing was overwhelming for me. I had kids leaving for college, the holidays, etc. and it all hit at once. The doc asked me if I wanted an anti-depressant, but I felt I actually had legitimate reasons at the time and wanted to work it out for myself. I promised that if it went more than a couple months I would take the pills. Luckily for me it didn't. It passed and I felt a lot better. But for some it doesn't. Don't mess around with that. Depression can affect you physically as well as emotionally, and you're trying to get healthy right now. If this doesn't pass in a few weeks, CALL YOUR DOCTOR!!! Depression can be triggered from other things as well, and you want to rule those out. ie: thyroid issues, Vitamin deficiencies, hormone imbalances..... Pay close attention to what your body is telling you. Good luck sweetie. If you need to pout, vent, cry, lament, etc. we are all here for you.

thanks for the input...it's gotten a little better - so i'm thinking more down in the dumps than clinical depression. Just taking it one day at a time. I've noticed that the more Protein I have in my system the more energy I have and the less depressed I feel. So right now I'm taking it one day at a time and actively working on keeping my protein and spirits up. Thanks again for the support it's much appreciated!

Your hormones go a little crazy when you have a rapid weight loss. Our fat stores estrogen and when we burn fat, that estrogen can be released and affect our mood as well as our periods and other stuff. I think a lot of people go through this down-in-the-dumps phase after the initial excitement wears off and we have lost some weight. Doing regular exercise can help your mood and help get some of the excess stuff out of your body. There can be other reasons, too, of course, and for a lot of people it's a really good idea to work with a therapist who is experienced in issues of obesity and emotional eating to help get through these things. So much of this process is mental--the band only does a small part of the work. Good luck and I hope you are feeling better very soon!

Hi:

I think that keeping active helps with being down in the dumps too. Exercise with some good music on.

Another thing, if you're physically tired, that doesn't help. Try to get to bed a little bit earlier because you're still healing and need extra rest. And, make sure you're taking a Multivitamin.

Hope you feel better soon.

Sue