Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Scared & Embarassed

Hi All-

I have been reading quite a bit these days and I have some thoughts I would like to share. I am pretty far along with my preparations for surgery. I am scheduled for April 29th, which is right around the corner and besides that I will be on vacation next week with my family. Here's where I am at - I am scared about the surgery. I know I can do it, but on the other hand I am worried about all the food that I will have to give up. Quite frankly - I love food. I know I have to do this though and I know it has to be a life change. As much as I love food, I hate feeling uncomfortable. I am very self conscious about my body image and have been for years. I have only told a select handfull of people about the surgery - I didn't even tell my entire family because as we all know, some of the thin people will simply not understand. I am embarrassed & ashamed because I can't do it myself. Does anyone else feel that way? My wife is very supportive and thinks I have nothing to be ashamed of. I will propbably tell more people afterwards, but I don't want to hear the negative opinions right now. I don't even think my in-laws will understand.

Let me know what you think. Thanks

You'll probably feel more comfortable talking about being banded after you've seen some significant weight loss. Do what works for you if you're not comfortable discussing it. You don't need negative vibes, so come to this site for support and you'll find comfort and positive vibes here.

My biggest regret with the band is that I waited until 2007 to get it done. Had I known about it before then I would have done it before. So glad I'm banded and am successfully losing alot of weight.

Best wishes to you. Don't think of it as being the "easy" way out. Because it isn't. The band is a tool that helps you if you eat small quantities and exercise.

Take care.

Sue

Hi Whip. I go for my last weigh in this friday, then my surgery will be scheduled after the ins. approval comes in. Surgery will probably be around the first of May---fingers crossed---Yes, I am also scarred and embarrassed, but I try and think about the future. I think about what I will gain, not what i will lose(except weight). I just keep telling myself that i CAN do it and i WILL do it. It will be hard at first, but hopefully the results will pay off and it will make it easier and easier. I have told quite afew people and they were very supportive. I know 3 people who have had it done recently and they have been very successful so far. Only surround yourself with positive people. If you do not feel comfortable telling certain people, then don't tell them. Remember, this is you life, not their's. You do what you need to do to make you life better for yourself and your family. Other people can not make you feel bad about yourself unless you let them and other people can not make you feel good about yourself, you have to do that. Good Luck and let us know how it goes.

Take Care,

Steph

Hey Whip, as another dude, I can totally relate. What really struck me when I was on the liquid pre-op diet was how much of my socializing was tied in to eating one way or another. I guess I kind of had to "mourn" the fact that my old way of life was no longer going to be feasable. That's the worst thing, but also the best thing, if you think about it.

I feel pretty confident that very few people could match MY love of food. During my initial doctor visit, they did a metabolism test on me. The results showed that I have a very high metabolism. At first, I thought the test was flawed (it showed I could maintain weight if I ingested 4000 calories / day), because how could I have gotten so fat if my metabolism was so high? When I really thought about it, the answer is that I was taking in an enourmous amount of calories........The point is, I love to eat. I'm almost 7 weeks post-band, lost around 45 lbs so far, and have never felt hungry, or like I was denying myself anything!

If I can do it, you can do it, my friend....