Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Exercise- ab work

Hello all shamrocks...I was banded 3/25..little over 2 weeks out. I started my ellipitical this week- 20 min/2 miles...wasn't sure if I should be doing ab work yet?? Dr's office said no restrictions?? but I am not sure...what do you think??

Wow Michelle.....I was banded the same day and am still healing on the inside. My doc said no work like that until 5-6 weeks out. If you do it, I'd be real careful. I wouldn't want to pull anything on the inside.

I was told nothing but walking or treadmill for 4 weeks, I am still sore in the port area. Reached out to shut the care door the other day and hurt myself so bad I cried!

Just wanted to add a note here. I was banded on 3/11. Down 30lbs post op. 50lbs including pre-op loss. I have been doing wonderfully until yesterday. My abs and shoulders are killing me the past two days. I started working out this last Sunday. Just walking and dancing for weight loss. Monday I was lifting a fairly heavy box though. I didn't feel pain until Tuesday. Still hurting today, but not as bad. I'm hoping I just pulled some muscles. I guess I'll give it one more day. I know when I used to work out in the past I would hurt for 2 days after a hard workout. Hoping all is good. My fill appt is Monday the 14th of April. I'm hoping nothing is wrong.

i'd double check with your doc AND listen to how your body really feels.

i was banded on 3/3 and got conflicting messages from my doctor(s). pre-op i played competitive tennis 2-3 times a week and was concerned that i'd be out of commission for a long time. (i was concerned enuf that i even asked my surgeon (chief of the obesity program at lennox hill hospital in nyc) to place my port on my left side rather than on my right so as not to interfere with my forehand!) anyways, despite the fact that tennis uses a lot of one's core muscles, he told me it would fine to play a week after surgery. i was in no way ready to do that and actually e-mailed him to tell him he was nuts to give me the all clear. it has since become a running joke between us. i did manage to play 2 weeks out. i sucked, but i played.

having said all that, my doc also told me not to lift more than 20lbs at a time and refrain from ab work. his orders were easy to follow, since i really didn't feel like lifting weights. instead i used resistance bands to keep my shoulders and biceps strong.

an update: had my second fill today and am cleared to start lifting weights and get some ab work in. am looking forward to it, but plan to take it a little slow.

this is my rather long winded way of saying, check-in with your doctor, but listen to how your body responds when you ask it to move in ways that it's not accustomed to. sorry for the rambling post!

I'll give my doc a call tomorrow. See what he thinks. I really think it is just sore muscles. I drink Water with no problems. I drink Soup with no problems. I have a nice cold popsickle with no problems. BTW - My doc still has me on a liquid diet until the 14th. Uhg... Thats why I am hoping nothing is wrong on the inside. My shoulders are still sore, as well as my abs. Although as I said, today is much better than yesterday. I'm drinking twice the amount of Protein that my doc advised to try to get more protein in my system. Hoping that will help. Not sure. Thanks for the advice though.

Also banded on 3/25 and definitely not ready for any type of exercise like that - still in quite a bit of pain! Be careful!!!:redface:

Thanks for all the suggestions...I emailed the dr's office yesterday and my doctor said to go ahead as long as I feel comfortable! I did a about 10 sit ups today...baby steps!!! :thumbup: