Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

6 mo Bandiversary - My Story

Yesterday was my six month bandiversary and I wanted to share a few of my thoughts on my journey so far. This is for all the 'researchers' out there who scan these boards while trying to decide if the band is for them and for all of those newly banded who want to know what to expect.

Note: this is my personal experience - I know that everyone is different.

1) I was a self-payer, on a whim, it was less than 3 weeks from my initial call and surgery. I do not regret it or the $$$ spent. I was also not required to do liquid diets etc.

2) I started at 222 pounds (5'4")and lost weight at every fill appointment. I did go 6 weeks with a plateu but NEVER a gain, unbelieveable. I have lost 34 pounds in 30 weeks.

3) I have never PB'd, slimed or thrown up - thankfully

4) I have the ability to eat what I want with no issues, just much smaller amounts - this is amazing, as I have not had a binge but been able to satisfy a craving if need be with just a bite.

5) I am still on the illusive search for that ultimate sweet spot. I am at 8.5cc in a 10cc band. Dr is happy with my weightloss and has offered to do the next fill under flor to ease any concerns that I may have about slippage.

6) Even with no sweet spot I am really thrilled with my ability to eat less. I had to learn the difference between STUFFED and Full and Not Hungry, in the past I tried to always be STUFFED, eating large meals and then snacking 1 hour later, now I know what satisfied is and that it a blessing.

7) My scars are barely noticable

8) Fills are no big deal at all - and I hate needles

9) Exercise is coming into my life and I am enjoying it. I have not done anything on a regular basis so it has not played a role in the weight loss. I know that I need to step up as the next six months will require more diligence.

10) I have travelled the world for business and to Hawaii and Mexico for pleasure and made it through the holidays with the band. Never an issue and never a concern, it has been easy.

11) I have given up beer and soda of any kind, of course the dr recommended it but I also read the carbonation leads to cellulite (I need all the help that I can get) so it has been out of my life for six months and I can not believe how easy it has been. I have begun to 'appreciate' wine and that has contributed to my slower loss, oh well.

12) The NSV's are too many to mention - but come to me on a weekly basis and affirm my decision to get the band.

I worked myself into a frezy seeing all of the major losses from people on this board, it took a while for me to be happy for them (you) and realize that I am on my own journey and that we are all successful in our own way. I could not be more thrilled with the process and the support I have been given from all of you on LBT.

Here is to another 6 months of losses!!!

Tina

Congrats, I like your approach too. Me, I don't worry about what other people are losing. As long as I am maintaining a number, or losing I don't care how slow it goes. I didn't get fat in one year, so I can't expect to be skinny in one.

Good luck on continued success.

Congrats Tina! Thanks for sharing your story.

Our stories are similar except that I researched the band and fought with insurance for 2 years before I decided to self-pay. I've never PB'd or slimed. I have 4.5 cc's in a 10 cc band. I've recently started excercising and I am enjoying. The inches are coming off faster and the pounds slower.

Good luck over the next 6 months! I know you will reach your goal. :)

I like your attitude as well. It is an individual's journey. Comparison against others isn't good in any way.

Congrats. You're an inspiration.