Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm back from NYU!

The surgery was Monday, with the original time of admission at 11 a.m. (with surgery scheduled to take place by 12:30 or so). However, there were some delays, and I didn't get into the O.R. until 3:30 or so, which was fine. Dr. Ren came to see me twice before surgery, in between operations, to let me know how things were moving along and to see how I (and others) were doing. She truly is a treasure.

My husband stayed with me until a bit after 1 p.m., until he needed to leave to be home for the kids when they came home from school. There was a lovely family in another pre-surgery room right next to mine, and I spent some time with them, and they with me. The daughter and father were both having gastric bypass (roux en y) laparascopically. The mom is also considering it, but since someone needed to be able to take care of them both, post-surgery, hers will take place at a later date, should she decide. It was comforting having them there while I waited.

I walked to the operating room, which without my glasses reminded me of something akin to "behind the scenes at Disney," what with all the strange looking (to me) equipment. I got on the operating table, stretched out my arms on extensions that were on either side of the table (bringing to mind a cross, which was a bit weird), and after a few pleasant introductions and questions, the sedation began. I remember saying, "Now THAT feels nice..." and the next thing I knew, I was being woken up in the recovery room.

I did have some gas pain (and am having a bit right now, in fact), quite a bit of nausea (I was given four different medications for that), and incision pain. I didn't sleep much, since I had to urinate literally every hour during the night. Since I was in a step-down unit, there was a nurse in the room all the time, and each time I had to go to the bathroom, she needed to unhook a number of monitoring devices, as well as oxygen -- and then hook them up again after I was done. The nurses were WONDERFUL. Dr. Ren also came to visit. It was an overwhelmingly positive experience.

Once I came home, I slept like crazy. Today, after a shower (which makes you feel like a new person!), I wrote out some bills and took a walk to the mailbox, and then around the block. I'm going to take another walk shortly. I'm also remembering to do my breathing exercises. Not only does that help with preventing pneumonia (which is why they're encouraged), but being able to fill my lungs fully is harder than I thought post-surgery, and actually feels good (if a wee bit painful).

Yesterday, I did experience some strong feelings of remorse -- like, "What the hell was I thinking?" -- but even today feel a bit more rational about having had the surgery. I am terribly fearful of what it will be like to eat, and am convinced that everyone who says it's fine is trying to convince themselves as well as share the company of misery (as in "misery loves company"), but at the same time am pretty sure (pretty sure, mind you, lol) that these feelings, too, will pass. I also have fears of the tubing floating around and becoming tangled up in my intestines, which -- if I remember correctly -- was never listed as one of the possible complications. But then again, I'm an amazing worst-case scenario builder!

Cheryl- Sounds like it was a relative breeze. I had hand surgery at NYU and they really are great there ( the view from the room wasn't too bad either :) ).

Are you hungry at all? How are you able to sleep at home? Are you in your bed?

hugs!

I'll be right behind you in less than 2w! :sigh:

-m

Well, there is some pain -- abdominal and a bit of shoulder again (gas) -- but walking relieves it a bit. I find that if I sit too long, my stomach hurts when I try to stand and straighten up.

I slept well last night, and was even on my sides a couple of times.

As far as feeling hungry -- yes! But it's more of an empty feeling (like an achy, gassy space that wants for food, if that makes any sense). At the same time, the idea of food nauseates me.

I'm sure that too, shall pass, lol!

Two weeks! Good for you. I will surely be thinking of you. Who is your surgeon, by the way?

I had the same fear about the tubing floating around and strangling my intestines too. LOL. That's funny. If I can remember though, my doc said he cut it to fit my body, so I don't think it floats around in there much.

Having second thoughts is pretty normal actually... I think most of us went through that..

Good luck!

Cherly,

I also was banded at NYU. Dr. Fielding did mine and they are great there. I had the same feelings the first two or three days but they pass. Just keep walking. As far as eating goes, I can eat just about anything i want and have never gotten sick(almost). For some reason since being banded I find I have more will power. Like I said I can eat just about anything but just don't want to anymore. Maybe it was the feeling I had when I came home and said to myself that i'm going to make this work and I didn't so all this for nothing or maybe it's just the band giving me that little something more I needed to get the job done this time. What ever it is, I want you to know I felt the same way you did two days after and now 10 weeks or so I feel the band is one of the best things I ever did for myself and I'm sure 10 weeks down the road you will feel that too. Congrats!!

Well, there is some pain -- abdominal and a bit of shoulder again (gas) -- but walking relieves it a bit. I find that if I sit too long, my stomach hurts when I try to stand and straighten up.

I slept well last night, and was even on my sides a couple of times.

As far as feeling hungry -- yes! But it's more of an empty feeling (like an achy, gassy space that wants for food, if that makes any sense). At the same time, the idea of food nauseates me.

I'm sure that too, shall pass, lol!

Two weeks! Good for you. I will surely be thinking of you. Who is your surgeon, by the way?

Feteiha is doing my surgery at Overlook Hospital in Summit. :thumbup:

-m

I too was banded at NYU Dr. Ren is great i had my frist fill yesterday by Dr. Ren, all is well. I think i should be losing LOTS of weight, since 2/18/08 30 pounds i was banded on 3/3/08. I feel kinda restricted but I don't know am hungery most of the time.

Viviananna, I'm curious -- how many CCs were you filled that first time? I will have my first fill in about a month, so am wondering how much yours got filled.

Hi

I have a 14cc band Dr. Ren put in 2cc the day of surgery and on 4/8/08 she put in another 3cc's so far ok.

Its Dr. Ren great?

viv

Congrats!!!.

I too will be using Dr. FIelding. I am scheduled for 5/22. I can't wait.

Best of luck.

Yes, Dr. Ren is wonderful. She has such a way about her. I found out about her (and the lap band) through my new dentist (she and her husband took over my old dentist's practive when he retired).

I remember being so nervous about having a new dentist -- but just look at the great things that have happened since! (Not to mention having a really great dentist!)

I still feel no restrictions, so when you go ask Dr. Ren

1-did she do a herina repaier

2 the size of your LB

3 how many cc are there in now, and how many is she putting in

if she says 3, try to go higher, total of 5 seems to me to be a waste of time in a 14cc band (if this is the size you have) -I only thought about this on my way home to poughkeepsie from NYU

thanks

viv

Congrats!!!.

I too will be using Dr. FIelding. I am scheduled for 5/22. I can't wait.

Best of luck.

Just wondering if you'd mind sharing what insurance you have, and when you had your surgical consult so I have an idea of what sort of waiting period inbetween I am looking at. I know it depends on insurance approval, but it would be nice to have some sort of idea....

Viviananna, Dr. Ren did do a hiatal hernia repair (that I know). The other questions, I will be sure to ask her. Thanks so much.

Isn't this all unreal?