Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Not quite fat enough

Hello, I am totally new to this forum but I have read about it for 18 months now. I have been trying to lose weight and every year I gain more. I am a male 5'11" and weigh 245. When I asked my doctor about losing weight he put me on a 1800 calorie diet plan. If i could follow the plan I would be skinnier but I can't. I think I want to get the lapband but I am not quite obest yet so I will probably have to pay for it myself. I want to take action now before my health deteriorates. Is this the right thing to do?

Yes, If you know you need help, get it now. Don't let your life slip away while you gain more every year. Go fo it !

The comment I see most on these boards is: "I wish I would've done this sooner". If you have the means to pay for the Lapband procedure yourself, go for it!

welcome tcl28, I too was not quite fat enough to qualify for the surgery to be covered as my BMI was not high enough nor did I have any co morbidities but I opted to pay it out of pocket since the reality is most of us can lose the weight it is keeping it off that is an issue, I have gained and lost 112lbs (basically my mom)or some variation of that amount over the years, I decided I was done with such a struggle every single day, if you can have a tool that helps to make it a little easier to maintain your losses, then why not? My surgeon was Dr. Ortiz in mexico and and long as you have 40lbs to lose, he will do the surgery, but it is not an easy way out, keep that in mind when making your decision. Are you unable to follow the diet plan that your doc perscribed because you feel too restricted or like your not getting enough nutrition, or are you making poor choices with that 1800 cals? The band is not a free ticket to have a free for all with the food, it's being aware of everything you put in your mouth and accepting the consequences, it does not mean lisc. to drink milkshakes 24/7.

Good luck to you,

Hello, I am totally new to this forum but I have read about it for 18 months now. I have been trying to lose weight and every year I gain more. I am a male 5'11" and weigh 245. When I asked my doctor about losing weight he put me on a 1800 calorie diet plan. If i could follow the plan I would be skinnier but I can't. I think I want to get the lapband but I am not quite obest yet so I will probably have to pay for it myself. I want to take action now before my health deteriorates. Is this the right thing to do?

First question: Do you have any health problems now? Diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, sleep apnea?

Second: are you sure you are 5'11"?

Lots of people overestimate how tall they are and an inch makes a difference in your BMI number. With a BMI of 35 and two co-morbidities ( health problems) your ins. if it's covered under your policy might pay.

If it turned out your closer to five feet 10 and at your current weight you are very close to a BMI of 35. Weighing in at the surgeons with clothes and shoes on, you're there.

If you have no co-morbidities, then most likely you'll have to self pay.

Many people on the forum have gone to Mexico and been very satisifed. Prices are much cheaper, but a lot depends on where you live for receiving good after care for fills etc.

Keep reading on the forum and you'll get lots of info. There are sections based on what state you live in (you could get a reference to a Dr from someone in your state) and sections for checking out Dr's and hospitals and sections about insurance.