Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi! i have begun the weight loss surgery process andI can't decide whether to do lap band or bypass. Can someone please help me out? I would rather do the band but I am worried about slipping and port infection. I have diabetes and hypertension, so I want to reverse these ASAP! I would love if someone could give me details on banding like how much weight you loose and recovery and such. Thanks!:rolleyes:

some people's dr's recommend bypass if they are super obese and have alot of comorbitities like diabetes etc......people who need to lose weight NOW for severe health problems and cannot wait because the lap band tends to be a little slower than gp. i am happy with the slower weight loss myself. have u gone to any seminars? that is a great way to get info on both procedures.

Hi! i have begun the weight loss surgery process andI can't decide whether to do lap band or bypass. Can someone please help me out? I would rather do the band but I am worried about slipping and port infection. I have diabetes and hypertension, so I want to reverse these ASAP! I would love if someone could give me details on banding like how much weight you loose and recovery and such. Thanks!:rolleyes:

Here's a link to my experience. I'm very happy with the decision I made to go with the lapband but I didn't have many co-morbities, just high cholesterol and obese, as if that isn't enough. I have a friend who has diabetes and she chose the band and wants to lose about 80 lbs. It is a personal choice tho. No port infections on any of my 5 new friends who did this surgery on the same day as me. I go for my barium swallow next week to get a baseline for the band. I'm nearly 4 wks post op this Fri.

http://www.lapbandtalk.com/f18/new-happy-camper-57493/

yes I have gone to the seminar that is required here. I have also completed my first nutrition appt. I just keep hearing things against the banding, which is also my first choice. My BMI is 38, and I feel i need to loose 80-100 lbs too. The more I hear from actual people who have had the surgery, the better i feel. I just think that maybe bypass is so drastic. thanks for the advice!

yes I have gone to the seminar that is required here. I have also completed my first nutrition appt. I just keep hearing things against the banding, which is also my first choice. My BMI is 38, and I feel i need to loose 80-100 lbs too. The more I hear from actual people who have had the surgery, the better i feel. I just think that maybe bypass is so drastic. thanks for the advice!

That was my thinking too, the other options just seemed waaaaay to invasive for me which means it could be more risky. If we aren't happy with the band for whatever reason, we can have it removed, I don't think you can reverse the others. I hope I never have to remove it cuz I'm very happy I did this. It was either this or keep gaining weight and at my size I needed something to help me. I know it will be a great tool and already is.

In October I had my banding done at the University of Virginia by Doctor Schrimmer. It went well I am doing okay. Not real fast lost but I knew it would be that way. I am 1/2 way tightened up. Any problems I have incurred are my fault. Not having enough Protein - only eating 3 meals a day etc. Thought that was what I was suppose to do. Since going on the web I realize I should be eating many small meals and taking my protein. Due to gas expense I don't attend the support group at UVA, so I depend on what I read. I have lost 30 lbs. About 5 lbs. a month. Was walking at first but due to extreme cold had to stop. Ready to get back to this and know that is what is slowing me down. My health is improving and that is what is most important. Do not have my own web site. Looking forward to hearing how everyone else is doing. Blondie.

thanks for the replies, this is making me feel much better. Has anyone heard of which insurance companies make you loose weight prior to surgery?

Hi there,

As for insurance companies, they are all different and specific to your employer too. My insurance covers Lapband procedures my my employer shose to have it excluded. So there you go. Most Doctors have you show weight loss attempts. Dr supervised and not (Jenny Craig, Weight Watchers etc...)

As for my 2 cents on Lapband vs. Bypass - Lapband is safer, less risks, and is reversable for what ever reason you may need that. I also HAD co-morbid I say had beacuse 2 motnhs after surgery I came off my Blood Pressure medication, and only ahve to use my asthma inhaler as needed now. Instead of everday.

Weight loss mya be a little slower, but without the side effects of bypass, you actuall absorb nutrients from your food and have less of a chance of malnutrition.

Good luck on whatever you chose.

Hi! There is a load of information here about the band. Have you been finding out what you needed to know? You can always post a question of not and there is usually someone hanging around who can answer it for you. Good luck and let us know how it's going!