Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New girl on the blog

Hi! I have been wanting to get on a forum for awhile, but haven't had the time... or so I say. Anyways, I had the lapband done 3 years ago and have only lost about 40 lbs, and am gaining.

I wanted to get on a forum to get some tips on how to keep up the weight loss. I had my surgery done in Mexico by Dr Ortiz (who is AMAZING, by the way) so I can't really contact him with my issues anymore. I had my last fill in Jan of 07, and as far as I am concerned, I don't think I need another one. I still get things stuck quite often, so I don't think I need it tighter. I do have a problem drinking while I eat, and I don't mean alcohol. I don't "drink" like that at all. But it seems impossible for me to eat and not have a glass of tea. Is this really what's stopping my weight loss? I know that talked a lot about not eating and drinking at the same time.

Anyone have any suggestions? I would LOVE to cross this 200lb fence I am strattling.

Thanks!

Are you drinking more than twenty minutes before you eat? What does your Water intake each day look like? Have you considerd eating Soups or something that is a bit more liquidy?

I drink A LOT of Water everday and continually throughout the day. So, yes I would say that I am definitely drinking some water before I eat. I have heard that going back on a liquid diet would shrink up the stomach muscle I have stretched out. Do you think this is true?

I have heard that it is possible, but the whole "getting back to basics" (as far as restarting the liquid/mushie/solid stages) in my opinion is really about getting your mind back into the concept of being banded. You say you drink tea with meals, is it sweet tea? Or is it sweetened with artificial sugar? Sweet tea is what really halts my weight loss. You really need to pay attention to the liquid "empty" calories you consume on a daily basis. I know this is hard as I am a sweet tea addict...well reformed sweet tea addict. I have finally gotten used to splenda in my tea. If you do decide to go back to the basics and start on the liquids phase again watch out for Soups. They have huge amounts of sodium that will make you retain Water. Plus creamy soups have high fat contents as well. Have you thought about trying Weight Watcher. I used to cringe when people would suggest that to me preband days because I was always hungry and never lost weight to my satisfaction. Now post band I find that weight watchers is soooo much easier for me because it doesn't take larger amounts to fill me up anymore. If you are not comfortable going to meetings you could always do it online, however the meetings may help you since there is alot of moral support there and people who you can talk to about your weight loss struggles. Hope everything works out for you!!

Thank you so much! Actually, my sister and I have tried Weight Watchers. I have all the books and when I am faithful to it, it really does work... faithful being the operative word... I think I was expecting this to be a "Miracle Band" and not take any extra work. But I see that I will always have to work at weight loss : )

Oh, and I don't drink sweet tea, so that's not a problem. I drink tea with sweet n low.

Thank you for you time! I really appreciate that help.

One thing that has really helped me get back in gear when I faltered for awhile was to "recommit" to the banding guidelines, plus writing down everything I eat.

So:

- You can get a free account on one of the sites that lets you log all your food, like TheDailyPlate.com or FitDay.com to document everything you eat. Set a target # of calories if that will help you. Between 1000-1200 works for most average-sized women, but tailor it to what works for you.

- Bandster Guidelines (off the top of my head, so I hope I don't forget one):

1) Eat Protein first, then produce. If you have room, you can add in whole grains. Typical meal would be 2-3 oz of Protein and 1/2 C of produce.

2) No drinking with meals or for at least an hour after you eat.

3) 30 min of exercise at least 3x a week.

4) At least 64 oz of non-caloric liquids per day. Exception: up to 16 oz of milk.

5) No mushy foods or liquid calories. Exception: if you are too tight in the morning to eat solid food, you need to have something for Breakfast. Yogurt, a latte, a protein drink...

6) Daily Multi-Vitamin.< /p>

7) No junk food & avoid starchy foods like rice, bread, potatoes, Pasta.

I'm sure now that I'm missing something. :rolleyes:

Drinking with meals: You could try sipping just tiny amounts of tea instead of drinking, to see if that gives you the taste you want without actually washing the food through. But if you're having issues with eating too much or feeling hungry too soon after a bandster-sized meal, then you might want to wean yourself off the tea. :redface:

It's great to come back & recommit yourself though! I stalled for a long time and am now back on track losing again... you can be too!!

Hi. My name is Paula. Although I am no expert yet, I agree with what has been said so far. The no drinking with a meal is a basic fundamental. The way it was explained to me, the food needs to stay in your little stomach for a while. If you drink with a meal, you are just pushing it on through the pouch and you will get hungrier sooner, hence you will be eating more. Eating more means more calories, which means it is easier to gain.

Again, I am only 5 weeks into this process, but I have lost 19 pounds so far. My daughter had the surgery on 11-19-07, and she had lost 60 pounds so far. We do not drink with our meals.

Good luck with getting back on the losing track. God bless you.

Paula

Hi Camnick!

Ok while I am not yet banded I do have alot of knowledge from different places concerning the diet and the band.

First theres basic rules to follow (off top of my head help me if I miss some.. anyone)

1. Do not drink 30 minutes before or after a meal
  2. take atleast 30 minutes to eat a meal
  3. chew your food very very well (Doc says 30x)
  4. take a couple bites and wait to see if a couple minutes to see if you're full
  5. Measure all your food and liquid
  6. Be aware of liquid calories
  7. get all your Protein from either powder drinks or Lean meats daily
  8. Exercise period... If you're not moving you're not burning.
  9. Vitamins.. Multi atleast. I take alot more than that though.

When you say that you don't think you need a fill because things can still get stuck is this after chewing very well? I am not banded and if I swallow a bite big enough I can manage to stick some.

Just a few things that I know is keeping me on the right track even pre banded I follow these rules.