Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Totally freaked out now!!!

In my continuing investigation (pre-surgery) I came across this website-

- The Mini Gastric Bypass

It talks about eventually (10 years out from banding) most everyone will have had to have another surgery. It also shows a film of someone having the band taken out and a mini gastric bypass done. She had to have the band removed because of the scar tissue that developed after several years on her stomach and the fact that the tube grew into her liver.

I am terrified. I want to think this is just this MDs site trying to get new patients but...

I need to hear from those of you who have had the band for many years (10 or so) to know what the long-term consequences are. As I am 36, I am likely to have the band for 40 years or so.

Please advise,

Melissa

Well, I haven't had the band personally for that long, but I do have a good friend who has, who has had one port revision, and that was it. She's had it for 8.5 years.

Every person is different... I'll be interested in people responding to this one too...

I'm not banded yet, but I have a comment. :ohmy: I've seen this Dr.'s videos on YouTube. It seems like he is the ONLY one who speaks about LapBand removal and mini bypass (on YouTube anyway). Now, I read in my book that not very many surgeons are doing the mini bypass b/c it's not "proven" yet. :)

This "mini bypass" reminds me of the gastric sleeve. Although it may be a great surgery and even may have been a better choice for me, it is just too new and too scary. I am not willing to have my insides rerouted and/or completely removed until I know for sure what the long term effects will be. The lapband may indeed have to be converted to something else 10 years down the road. I sleep better at night knowing I will have that option when the time comes, since it is reversible!

My surgeon, who is one of the top Bariactric Surgeons in the country, told me that people in Europe and Australia have had their bands for 20+ years with no problems. It hasnt been approved by the FDA all that long here, in the US. I had asked him about "long term".

Id be curious to see if there any 10+ year bandsters on here!

I am aware of the MGB because I live in Las Vegas and that is one of the 2 locales where this surgery is done. The surgery is not really new - in fact it is about 20+ years old and is considered dangerous and fraught with risk by main stream physicians. I was surprised at the two different lap band seminars I attended - both of the surgeons addressed this surgery and cautioned to avoid it at all costs. Note that no insurance will pay for this procedure and all of the MGB patients are self-pay. According to a local bariatric surgeon of some repute, the Doctor performing these surgeries in Las Vegas was run out of South Carolina and California. So, as in so many things - let the buyer (patient) beware.

Mary :ohmy: