Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pre-bander questions for those at Goal?

So I am getting my surgery in a little over a month and am thrilled. I really want this to be as effective as possible and want to try to get to my goal in the shortest time possible. I am realistic but hopeful. So a few questions for those who are near or at their goal.

1. How much weight did you have to lose and how long did it take you to get there?

2. What have you found to be most effective things to do to lose the weight? excercise? certain foods? any good tips? etc?

3. Did you lose the most in the beginning, over time, when?

Thanks for your imput. I hope one day I can give others advice when I get to my goals.

Edited by MollyTaMolly

So I am getting my surgery in a little over a month and am thrilled. I really want this to be as effective as possible and want to try to get to my goal in the shortest time possible. I am realistic but hopeful. So a few questions for those who are near or at their goal.

1. How much weight did you have to lose and how long did it take you to get there?

100 pounds and I have lost 91 is just under 8 months. I revised my goal because my doc did not want me sacrificing muscle mass when I was going to most likely lose the rest of my weight with my Tummy Tuck.< /span>

2. What have you found to be most effective things to do to lose the weight? excercise? certain foods? any good tips? etc?

I exercise 5 days week for a minimum of 1/2 hour but most of the time it is 1 hour to 1.5 hours. I am a rule follower so if I set the rule, I follow it. I only ate at 6:30, 10:30, 2:30, and 6:30. That is very rigid for most people but it is what worked for me. I ate about 1 cup of food and always ate my Protein first. I went very low carb but that is because I am an Atkins girl. Plus I don't feel as energized if I eat a lot of carbs. That is not the same for everyone. I had fruit instead of dessert and I REFUSE to eat at fast food. I have never once taken a drink of anything with my meals (but like I said I am a rule follower:rolleyes2:). I stayed away from anything that would cause me to binge. If I would try something and then kept going back to it because of the impulses I felt, in the garbage it would go. I did not keep junk food or any unhealthy items in the house at all. If my DH wanted something that I shouldn't eat then he put it someplace out of sight. I became lactose intolerant after surgery so I didn't have to worry about ice cream. I know this will be harder if you have kids, but it would be good to transition them to healthier Snacks anyways.

Another thing that I found is that if you are too tight and can only get down crap foods (chips, candy, only mushie carbs) that you will not lose as well. I lost best when I could eat the solid protenis and the dense complex carbs. Being too tight can slow down our weightloss because you can't eat the right foods, and it also made me feel hungrier!

My only other piece of advice, is to the take this advice with a grain of salt. We are all individuals and you will find that while it is good to have friends to support you, this is a very individual journey. You need to find what works for you and even if it sounds crazy to someone else, as long as it is HEALTHY, then that is fine. My nutritionist is not happy with what I am eating at maintenance because it doesn't fit into the norm, but nutiritionally it is still healthy and I am not hurting myself.

I lost very steadily over the entire journey. I averaged over 3 pounds per week.

Thanks for your imput. I hope one day I can give others advice when I get to my goals.

Good luck with your journey. This was by far the best thing that I have ever done for myself.

I wanted to lose about 85lb, it took me pretty much 18 months to do that, then I've lost about another 15lb in the last 6 months. Most of that 85 I lost in the first year.

For me, I eat a balanced diet, carbs included. I dont do Protein first. For me that is a moderate, sustainable diet for life, there's no diet to fall "off". I have treats occasionally.

By far the biggest weapon is exercise, I run and I go to the gym. I'm really super fit these days, and I really believe that achieving that, rather than being satisfied with moderate exercise effort has been the key to success for me. I really put in with regard to exercise, to me a 4mile walk is active leisure, not an exercise session. That comes with time though of course, you have to start with what you can manage.

I lost most of it in the first year.

I had 120 pounds to lose from my high (285). I'm aiming at 165. I'm not quite there yet, and have been banded just over 10 months. For various reasons I was unfilled for the past 3 months.

Exercise, exercise, exercise, and eating right. When I got too tight I started eating crap, and the weight loss slowed. I like lifting weights over cardio, because I like the body reshaping that comes with the lifting.

Dropped quite a bit early, then it flattened. I did have some plateaus, but during those times the body was still reshaping itself. Make sure you're taking regular pictures, and taking measurements. You won't want to take those early pics, but you'll love having them later.

I have been reading everyones responses, after reading various posts,on this question and others I noticed YOU have to combine a few things together -- your head,you have to be motivated, what you eat, and excercise. You need to do all not just one to get the results you want, and it can be done!!

I have been reading everyones responses, after reading various posts,on this question and others I noticed YOU have to combine a few things together -- your head,you have to be motivated, what you eat, and excercise. You need to do all not just one to get the results you want, and it can be done!!

You are absolutely right and you listed the most important thing first...YOUR HEAD. You can't do this well if you are not mentally ready. For me I woke up the morning that I decided to have this surgery and I was ready. For some people that day comes a day, a week, a month, a year after being banded. But I think when you finally get to the point that you realize that we are STRONGER that the food that we put in our mouth, that is when you reach success.

Hi

I had my surgery on 12/06/02, I weighed 19st 2 lb on that day, today I weigh 9st 5lb and have done since 2004, I found the most effective way to lose the weight was in the last 6 months when I knew the band was too tight yet kept the Fluid in until the weight came off, i knew this wasnt healthy or right but at least i lost 129% of my excess weight when they only guaranteed 50% and the weight has stayed off now even thouh i have had Fluid removed. I would still do it all the same as now the weight is off facing a diet if i put a few pound on isnt so bad as i havent got that 10stone mountain to face, but everyone is different. Best wishes to you, and enjoy the life you have yet to experience its amazing!!! x

I have to lose 100 pound. I am 14 pounds away form my goal and it took me about 18 months, mostly because I don't exercise as I should. but that is a new goal I have set to find the time to excercise properly.

I try to exercise but let me tell you that I don't do it on a regular basis. After you are banded (at least it happened to me), you will find there are foods that are easy to eat and digest, I mostly stick to that kinds of food. As Jachut said, I also had my treats.

At the beginning. And I have found very hard to lose those las 14 pounds.

I whish you the best!!!