Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Starting the process, looking for support

Hi, everyone!

After waiting for over a year, I received notification of my first appointment to start the process for Lap Band surgery. It's been a long, long wait.

Three years ago, I started the process for gastric bypass surgery but backed out after going through quite a few appointments because the risks scared the heck out of me. I also know of several people who have had gastric bypass and some have also had a host of gastro-intestinal issues. They all lost a great deal of weight, but some just aren't healthy anymore despite the weight loss. So I declined continuing towards that surgery.

After discussing my finding with my doctor, she suggested the Lap Band and we started the process all over again. Finally! I have my first appointment scheduled for May 9th.

A little about me - I'm a 45 years old, female, and work in the medical insurance field. I'm looking forward to meeting some people who are also waiting for the Lap Band or who have already gone through the process and are on their way to becoming "big losers." :Dancing_wub: See you on the forum.

HI Paisley,

Good luck on your lap band journey. I am awaitng insurance approval. ALready did my psych eval, lab work, consulatation......everything really except for nutrional counseling which I do on THursday. I'm hoping for a MAY DAY!!:Dancing_wub:

Hi Paisley! I am pre-op as well. All of my testing is done and I meet with the doctor this Friday. After that, it's all up to the insurance company! Good luck to you and keep us posted!!

Thank you for the welcome. Until I can figure out how to set up a fancy signature line like many of you have, I'll tell you where I'm at.

I currently weigh about 305 (I'm 5'7"). I've lost over 60 lbs in the last year trying to get myself adjusted to a lifelong eating plan that I know I'll have to stick to post-surgery. I'm also a Type II diabetic, so eating right is important.

Having eaten like a teenager for thirty years, changes come hard. Learning to try and actually like healthy foods is a constant challenge for me. But I'm getting there, slow but sure.

Part of me wishes the wait in my area (Portland, ME) wasn't so long.....but the other part of me believes that I needed this time to get my 'stuff' together and prepare myself for post-surgery life. Everything happens for a reason, I guess. :Dancing_wub:

Hi Paisley and Others....

I have my first app't on May 1st and am excited and a bit nervous. I have studied this and am looking forward to this procedure. I am so thrilled for this lap band vs the gastric bypass, which I would not even consider. I have a BMI of 49 and I will be 58 yrs old in a couple of weeks. I am keeping my eye on the prize, good health and a longer life!! ChristyC in Michigan :ohmy:

Hello All,

I haven't checked in for a while. I went to a seminar on Valentines' Day and then have been going to appointments ( nurse, group dietician, one on one dietician, and finally psych eval). The next appointment will be with the surgeon. I am not sure how long I will have to wait for surgery. I want to wait until at least July, for work logistics problems and for personal reasons. I have to get myself educated on all the post-op diet options. The dietician has been very helpful. So have all of you. It is great that you share your experiences. It will help me and others in more ways than you know.

My family and friends have been very understanding. And very supportive. I have started to make positive changes in my life style, including cutting out second helpings, adding exercise, and trying different planned activities to stay away from snacking/grazing.

I am ready for this new tool in my life. I know I can use it to it's fullest advantage.

Thanks to all of you for sharing. I intend to do the same.:ohmy:

Hi there! I'm new to the process too. I just found out that it will be covered. I have already done the 6 month weight loss program (I didn't know at the time that I would go this route) so I'm getting my paperwork and going to my PC on Friday.

Good luck to you, and I'll look for your postings

Molly

I got a call from the Bariactric Center today. I have an appointment w/ my surgeon on May 6th at 2 pm. I am very excited...though I still don't have a surgery date. Hopefully, I will know more after that appointment.

I am really looking forward to this appointment. Any one know how long it usually takes after the surgeon appt, until the surgery? Still would like to wait until July or so.

Barb:smile2:

Dear Paisley and others:

My name is Paula and I was banded March 4th. After 5 weeks I am down 19 pounds and feeling great. I go for my first fill this upcoming Monday (Apr. 14). I wish you all the best in the beginning stages of your journey. I was fortunate not to have the 6-month waiting period. My daughter also had the procedure done back on Nov. 19th and she has lost 60 pounds thus far! The BAND is wonderful and so very worth it!!

Have a great day to all.

Paula

P.S. I've got to learn how to get a cute name fixed up too!

Hi Paisley,

My name is Karen, waiting to get approval. Question. Did you have to do a 6 month program before the dr. appt. or after? Thanks

Karen