Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Some Banders I met online Discouraged me :(

Guest BikiniBeachy

I met a woman today who has lost TWELVE pounds since her surgery ten weeks ago.

Anyone ever meet people like this, and how do you feel about it, and how do you feel about your LapBand experience? Thanks for listening...

You make it sound like this is a bad thing, why? The band is designed for us to lose a healthy 1-2 pounds per week. 12 pounds in ten weeks is about 1.2 pounds per week, which is right on track. I would applaud her for that and tell her what a wonderful job she is doing.

As for the rest of the post, I agree.

Guest BikiniBeachy

Hey I'm from Jacksonville, near the beach, I miss it...Hope the weather is nice!

Anyway...I knew I would get a post like this...Let me explain a little more clearly, I was actually leaving out a lot of details about this person who had told me that they "We're trying to start exercising" and when I asked if they changed their diet stated,

I left out these details in case someone in this similar situation (I have newly discovered people who have never dieted, never willing to, and did self pay and are now not losing weight) would read this post.

I have researched this surgery and know, yes, 1-2 pounds is normal, that is normal and healthy for any weight loss, Weight Watchers, this, that etc., but there are considerable exceptions for pre and post op liquid diets and ten weeks*, correct?

I do not believe that this woman a great applause, and although if I wanted to insult her, I would do it directly, I posted this to vent and see if anyone else feels similar about those who attempt to take advantage of the bariatric surgery option. Of course I still believe she is doing something wonderful for at least 'trying'. I hope that makes more sense.

You get what you pay for... not this time.

You get out, what you put in... totally!

I follow all the rules some of the time,

and most of the rules most of the time.

I am successful one day, and one choice, at a time.

I used to be a failure all day, every day.

Good luck and great health to all!!!!

WELL SAID!!!

Guest BikiniBeachy

Wow, I just wanted to say thanks and I was on the before and after pix all night last night and I totally know who you are, lol. Thanks for your words, and you look great, keep up the amazing work!

Hi:

I'm not at the point that Jachut is, but I can testify that it does work if you follow the program. I think it is a committment to yourself that has to be made before you can be succesful. I think that's why my surgeon's group does the psych test beforehand - to make sure you're mentally ready and committed to make change.

I love my band because I'm almost a "normal-sized" person again. I've lost 119 pounds since last April 23rd. I did a modified weight watcher's type of plan for three months prior to surgery. I just couldn't stand carrying around the excess weight anymore!

Sometimes I go back and forth between being disgusted at how big I let myself get to be, to being proud at how much I've lost. I do try to focus on the positive though because I think it's better for my own personal morale.

This can work if you use it as a tool. However, the biggest tool is the one between your ears! I don't think I would be as succesful without exercise, so that's another committment I made to myself. I really think it's important to exercise and change your diet drastically. My band doesn't remind me to exercise, like it reminds me not to overeat. But so far my head's been in the game, and I think I'm winning right now.

Good luck. I hope that you can win the battle too.

Sue