Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Am I the only one the band isn't helping?

I was banded in June of 07. I lost about 20lbs before the banding, 13 of which was from the liver shrinking diet I was on for 2 weeks. I lost another five after because I was starving on sugar free Jello and broth. Now it is April and I have gained back all but 11 pounds. I do not want to go back in because the surgeon and the clinicians will not be happy with me. I feel very little restricition after 3 fills. I have vomited only once from eating raw carrots. Some breads, rice, and well done hamburger do not go down well but other than that and my carrot episode I can eat pretty much like always.

So has anyone been there or is anyone there right now? I need some advice!

Well, I haven't actually gained back any weight, but I have sure had my plateaus. Your doc may be upset if you go back and have gained back 11 pounds, but they are gonna be VERY upset if you wait and go in with a 30 pound gain! Your floors aren't gonna get clean if you set the mop in the bucket and watch it - you have to participate! Your band isn't gonna work if you have it put in and don't do what needs to be done! The amount of fills a person needs until they get to the sweet spot, is different for all of us. YOU NEED A FILL!! You are gonna KNOW when you have good restriction. Surely your doc gave you guidelines. Are you having to pay for your own fills? Is that why you didn't continue to go in until you were adjusted correctly? If you weren't prepared for the maintenance costs, you should have been. Good luck to you. Get in there and talk to your doc/nut!!! Get a fill scheduled!!!! Keep going back for more until it is right!!!

First your band has to be adjusted properly and then YOU have to work WITH your band.

So see the Dr. and discuss with them the kinds of food and the quantity of those foods you are eating and then discuss together if a fill is needed. Then do your part to help your band. If there are unhealthy foods in your house, get rid of them and bring healthy foods in. Start counting your calories to see how much your consuming and track your Protein to be sure you are getting enough. Get back on the band track.

I would not be afraid the Dr or staff is going to be mad at me. Just talk to them honestly. Tell them you need their advice and help. That's what they are there for. Many people fall off track, it's unlikely you will be their first patient that came in with a weight gain.

i seriously do not think your doctor is going to yell at you.

you need proper restriction for this tool to work. try to schedule a fill asap. once you are properly restricted, it gets easier.

best of luck to you