Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Well, no, you aren't being slammed because you are new; you are being slammed because you came on here apparently with an agenda, and went on to accuse anyone not agreeing with you of being at best, misinformed, or at worst, liars. Generally speaking, not the best way to win friends and influence people. Oh, unless you are a politician running for president.

If you had an infected port and walked into an ER for treatment or went to your family doctor, you're telling me you were denied treatment? That honestly sounds more like bull than any of the "coyote" (aren't they the ones who transport illegal aliens over the border? What does that have to do with getting surgery in Mexico?) accusations.

I was banded in Mexico, without a problem one.

Prior to being banded, I made extensive arrangements for follow up care. I live in a rural area, and there are in fact no more Dr.'s in my state doing lap band---the last one had his medical license revoked.....

So with the assistance of the coordinator, and the surgeon himself, we made more local arrangements for follow up care. But even then the surgeon doing my fills is 6 hours away 1 way. So my surgeon, was still not happy----he had me contact a local surgeon looking for someone willing to do an emergency unfill on me if necessary. I eventually found someone, in my former oncologist.

Once all those plans were in place, and only then, did he agree to band me.

For 2 years all went well. Then a couple of weeks ago, I got sick, with a virus, and ended up with my stoma swollen closed. My "local" band doc was out of town----and my fall back on my oncologist, was teaching a class at mayo clinic in Scottsdale AZ. Leave it to me to get sick during Spring Break!!!

Through the help of my band surgeons office, and the office of my fill Dr. they referred me to Fill Centers USA. They did not EVER say a single bad thing about Mexican Dr.'s. I had several hours drive to get to any of the Fill Centers--but they were going to come in on the weekend, and accomodate me in any way. They actually had one of the Dr.'s from another office call and discuss my issues. My original surgeon, called and talked over my problems. Slowly but surely the swelling subsided, and I have been fine ever since.

When this happen I called my insurance company and talked things over with them. Back 2 years ago when I was banded---my policy DID cover lap band----but due to some serious hoop jumping, I chose to go to a Dr. of my choice, and went to Mexicali, MX. instead. BUT the insurance company has since relaxed many of their policies regarding lap banding, and any complications requiring medical care, will be covered. If I were to ever require removal and chose to have it done in the states it would be covered. If I use a MX Dr. who has been approved, I can apply to have my medical expenses reimbursed. If I would have had to travel for treatment of my band, I can even claim some of that!

I do not now, nor have I EVER work for any surgeon, in the USA or in Mexico. I do not receive any kickbacks from anyone for saying positive things about my experience.

Much of how ANY surgery goes is up to the patient. Eating burgers following surgery---waiting when there is an obvious infection----both are obvious NO's!!!

If I had been able to find a Dr. who had the experience and credentials of the surgeon I used, and he were down the road 20 minutes, and I could have afforded it---hell yeah I would have been there! BUT that was not an option. I planned it well, and made arrangement in case something did come up----and I went.

You should have had aftercare in the USA set up long before surgery, not when you come back with an infection already going. If I were to go to a local Dr. for stitches in my hand, and let it get infected-------no other local Dr. is going to want to suddenly assume liability of me either! They are going to suggest I go back to the other Dr. and let him follow up.

I do know there is a bias among Dr.'s and the medical field often about Mexican medical treatments-----but I would be willing to bet many of them were trained by the very Dr.'s we used.

I would go back---and I have recommended and sent several to my surgeon--and will continue to do so with a clear conscience----but an empty wallet!!!

Kat

1. Rodriguez is a very average Mexican doctor.

2. I worked in Tampico for 4 years. Three weeks there & Three weeks here. I never said I lived there. 1980 to 1984.

3. Dr. Rod took 2 hrs longer than the 1 1/2 hrs. scheduled. I'm convinced the band was on too tight. Most of what I read now days points to The surgeon putting the band on too tight as the reason for erosion.

The beauty of it is "we'll never know". Because it was done in Mexico. It's dead & stinkin, South of the border. Thats where it'll stay, and my money with it.

I'll give you one thing, You sure know how to spell Coyote.

Cosmos,

We are not attacking you because you are new. There are just some questions we have about your post. In one post, you say you had your surgery, got pneumonia, and then had to wait 6 months to get fills. Then, in another post, you say you only had your lapband 3 months and then had to have it removed due to faulty installation. Then, again in another post, you say that you went to Monterrey serveral times, when on your price list, you just list two trips to Mexico. This is your story, so you would think you could get it straight.

I'm sorry. How careless of me.

Call Dr. Rodriguez and I can assure you he has all the facts.

Why get them from me. For some reason unknown to me I might be telling you a big ole LIE.

As soon as you figure out why I'm lieing to you about this, please let me know.

I'm sorry. How careless of me.

Call Dr. Rodriguez and I can assure you he has all the facts.

Why get them from me. For some reason unknown to me I might be telling you a big ole LIE.

As soon as you figure out why I'm lieing to you about this, please let me know.

Sounds to me like you are trying to trash Dr. Rodriguez. You eroded and zog forbid, he charged you for surgery. People do all kinds of things around here. They pose as patients who went to another doctor and claim they got an infection... this stuff happens daily. You aren't the first to come up with this idea.

The other poster is correct, you can't even get your own story straight. Actually, you can't get any of your stories straight.

Tell you what, why don't you pick a story. You know, the one you want to stick with and get back to us. K?

My experience with Dr Kuri and his medical team was excellent!!! I have lost 82 pounds and quit smoking in this past year!!!! Life is good!!! I want to loose another 20 or 30 pounds and feel it will come off in the next 3 to 4 months.

I paid a local doctor to take me as a patient!!! $2225 and have had only 2 fills and 1 slight unfill. USA FILL CENTERS were too unreliable for me to chance their cancelling appointments as I was 5 minutes away after a 2 hour drive.

I would return to Mexico in a heart beat if something happened to my band.

Good luck on your journey!!!

My doctor was Dr. Gabriel Guttierrez from Tijuana. Their website is ww.obesitychoices.com.

Well, I have been researching for Doctors in Arkansas that will do fills if you go to Mexico. Of course I live in one of the few states that Fill Centers does not have any. My Dad checked with his band doctor today. BTW his band was the 4th of April and he has lost 26 pounds... Well his doctor told him under no circumstance would he do fills on some one who did not have the band with him. He also went on to say NO ONE in Arkansas will. I am guess he means with out a referral from another doctor in the US. Because the way he says it, on one who ever has or ever will have the band done can ever move away from the doctor who did it. What crap!!!. So unless can find a doctor who will do the fill I am out of luck. Unless I wish to come up with $16K for a doctor here to do it.

Have you searched to find out how far away the nearest Fill Center is?

I am in a state with NO lap band surgeons at all!!! My closest band Dr. is 6 hours away---but I made it work......and it has been worth it. Plus, if you do go to a Fill Center, say in a bordering state, and in 2 years they put one in near you, your fees have all been paid, and you can go to the new center.....and they are expanding all the time.

There is a survey going right now about new possible locations for a Fill Center USA---go vote for where you want it!!

Good Luck---

Kat

Dear Kat87

When I had a Mexican Lapband I didn't have much trouble getting a fill but I live close to Houston.

My problems started when I had complications. A leaking Port. Erosion. Debanding. Doctors here in the states would look at it but touch it not. Fill Centers USA told me staright out that I would have to go back to Mexico.

I think People need to know that up front.

A lot of that depends on your insurance. I recently was sick as I said and had to use a different Dr. I use a Dr. here in the states for my fills etc. He has no issue dealing with me and my band, and he accepts my insurance which does cover it. It would have paid for the band, I opted to quit trying to jump through their hoops, back when I was banded.

My insurance covers complications from the band. If I opt to go back to my MX surgeon if I have a complication, I can submit to the insurance my costs, and recover a small portion of them.

But you are right, every aspect needs to be looked into. And it is also my understanding that some of the centers --in fact MOST of the Fill Centers USA- do not have operating surgeons at all----simply Dr.'s to do the fills. I know the one in Albq. NM does not do lap bands, but he does follow up.

I have also heard of people moving within the company my DH works for and having a hard time locating a new Dr. One of the guys he works with -his wife has been banded for almost 2 years, she was banded in Washington State, and is now in NM---and is freaking out she has to drive over 6 hours to get to a band Dr. and he only took her on, because she knew me----he is swamped and not taking new patients.

It is kinda scary!! Excellent point though---hope you are recovering!

Kat

Before you have surgery anywhere ---- all these things need to be looked into--I agree!

Does anyone have a suggestion for a doctor in Mexico? Please - I am trying to do my research. I just feel so lost.

Thanks!!:tt1:

I am also looking for a good value in Mexico.

I've read lots of posts and feel that I've done a decent job of understanding the risks but I'm comfortable with the decision to have the procedure done in Mexico so what I'm asking for is a balanced recommendation. I'm not necessarily looking for the "cheapest" price but I am looking for experienced doctors available at the best price.

The doctor's office I'm currently the most likely to use is in Mexicali and they quoted $7,900. Since there appears to be a lot of competition for these types of surgery (I understand that some of those bargain prices come from inexperienced doctors), I'm just asking if anyone else has paid considerably less but is just as happy with the whole experience as if they'd paid thousands more... If you're only a couple hundred less I'll probably still go with this well respected doc but in the off-chance that I haven't discovered the best value, I figure that I might as well pse the question.

If you don't want to post the cost for your procedure on the open forum please PM me the info.

Thanks in advance! :)

By the way, I live in San Diego which is next-door to Tijuana so that would be my first choice to find a good alternative.

I paid slightly less than that 2 years ago, but I loved Dr. Aceves, and would recommend him highly---I have sent several local friends his way!!!

Kat