Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

"Difficult" foods

Hi, I haven't been banded yet but I have been reading a lot about eating post-op to get an idea of what it will be like. I know that everyone is different, and fill level has an effect on what people can eat but there is SO much contradictory information out there--it's confusing!

Basically, I know that bread and Pasta should be avoided because they can get stuck but some post-op eating guides I've read say that rice is fine, and some say not. How about rice in sauce (like Indian food) or Soup? I was also curious about wraps or tortillas? I know that they are high in carbs and should be avoided for that reason but what about the "stuck" factor?

Also: eggs. This is a confusing one too. Almost all of the post-op eating guides I've read seem to really push eggs as a great band friendly source of Protein and yet here I see that a lot of people seem to have serious problems with them. It's especially confusing because eggs are so soft--I don't understand how they could get stuck!

Veggies: I LOVE asparagus and it's one of the few veggies that I eat because I like it rather than in an attempt to balance my diet (not that I hate veggies, and there are lots that I enjoy but asparagus is the only one I ever seek out, you know?). Sadly, many of the plans specifically mention asparagus as a food to be avoided though. I realize that it's stringy and that's why it gets stuck but what about if you chop it up into very small pieces (like 1/2 inch) and it's very well cooked? Anyone have any experience with asparagus?

Finally, meat. I love meat. It's really my one true "crave" food (red meat anyway). I've read that fish, dark poultry and ground red meat is fine. True or not? I am willing to give up (grudgingly) steak and non-ground lamb and such, but I am curious to know if anyone IS able to eat that kind of stuff. I don't expect to eat a steak for dinner every night, or even every month but it would be nice to have the option.

Also, for those on maintainence--if you've gotten unfilled do you find that you can eat just about anything but in smaller quantities or not? That honestly would be my ideal--to be able to eat all "normal" foods but in very moderate quantities. Again, I don't expect it to be this way but I have heard that some people can and that would be great if I could too.

Thanks for enduring my long post! And thanks in advance for sharing your experiences.

I have no food intolerances. The only foods I can think of that have given me trouble more than once are Peanut Butter and potato chips. This is because I tend to swallow too much at once.

I can eat rice and tortillas. eggs, even though scrambled sometimes hurt (they go down). I eat asparagus at least 2x week, it's my favorite. Had it last night in fact. Worst case scenario - I get a particularly tough piece and spit it out. Duh, if you can't chew it, you don't swallow it. pineapple is the same way because it's so fibrous. Sometimes I can chew it enough, sometimes I can't, in which case I just spit it out.

I do not eat red meat, a personal choice based mainly on the effort it took to chew it well enough. I eat chicken, turkey and fish mainly, soy Proteins, crustacean, etc. Lamb when I can find it (my family is Greek so it's a staple for gatherings). I don't eat steak, but I can.

For me, I can eat whatever I want, as long as I'm smart about it) if a drink of Water is hanging around, I'm not going to try to down some turkey), take my time, pay attention, and don't push things.

HTH

I have problems with eggs in the morning but not any other time. I have been able to eat small amounts of both Pasta and rice, but I have not tried oriental sticky rice as in sushi. Again, I do not eat these often. I avoid soft bread and that is about it.

The only things I have a problem with are chicken Breast and Pork. Its just too dry for me, and just when I think ive chewed it enough to go down, It says, "Think again"

I eat eggs all the time...I just chew and they go down great.

Something to maybe think of...

My Dr had said that if you're able to actually eat something for Breakfast, then you are not tight enough. He said as the day goes on, you tend to get more loose. Perhaps some of the trouble eggs get is that they're usually a morning food? I dont know...just something he said..

I had problems with flour tortillas (soft ones), eggs and one time w/ tuna, but I think the tuna was a fluke. I've not had any problem w/ meat of any kind, thus far. The worst, by far, was the tortilla. I truly thought I was dying, it hurt so badly. I've eaten rice in Soups, but I haven't had bread in nearly 2 years and I don't eat Pasta either. I've got 'band' friends who do eat 1/2 piece of toast occasionally.

I can eat all meats as long as they are not dry. I can eat a small amount of bread and have to go slow, that includes tortillas. I love asparagus and like Wheetsin if it is tough then I spit it out. I can basically eat anything but some things just go down smoother than others. Everyone is so different.

I can eat anything I want. I haven't tried pizza in a long time, but I bet I could eat it now. I had half a jr whooper not too long ago.

I am eat small amounts of anything- as long as I chew well. by well, I mean I chew until it's liquid in my mouth.

I can eat almost everything. The only foods that I have had a problem with are french fries and tater tots (which I don't really need anyway...I can usually get by with eating 2 or 3 but more than that causes me pain).

I don't really eat tortillas b/c they take too much effort. When we go to a Mexican food resturant, I'll order fajitas, and just eat the steak and chicken and veggies and my husband & daughter will eat the tortillas.

eggs....I have only PB'd 2 times since I have had my band and one time was on a fried egg (the other time was a dry piece of chicken). Totally my fault though...chewed it twice, and swallowed it (I was so hungry and reverted to my old habits). It sure came right back up. But, as long as I pay attention and chew well, I can do eggs (fried and scrambled). I acutally usually eat 1 egg for Breakfast almost everyday.

As far as bread goes, I don't really eat that either. I was just too scared to try it after I got my band so I pretty much stay away from it. I LOVED bread before, but don't really care much about it now that I don't eat it. I can eat pizza w/o problems. Usually only one piece, and it takes forever!

Red meat....I eat red meat w/o problems providing I am chewing well. If we go out for steak, I'll usually order a baked potato and salad, then my husband will give me some of the steak he orders. It is just enough to satisfy my craving, but not enough for me to get in trouble with.

All in all, as long as you chew well and don't let yourself get to hungry so that you are rushing to eat, I think you will be surprised at what you can still eat. I would stay away from anything too dry though!

I only have an intolerance to rice and beef. Neither will stay down no matter what I do to them. I think everyone is different and only experimenting will tell you what you can and cannot have.

I agree with Shiela. chicken breast and pork are difficult. They are both to dry. chicken thighs are just fine. I can't eat bread with a sandwhich, but if I eat it like plain toast, it goes down okay. Other than that, at 4 1/2 months out and two fills, those are the only problems I have so far.

The only problem foods that I've had are things I shouldn't be eating anyway!

French fries: don't even try them any more. Everytime even before my first fill, pain.

Crackers: I try and turn them to mush, I guess I probably swallow too much at one time.

Shrimp: Too rubbery.

Bread: Doesn't like to go down since last fill. Thats okay though I don't need it anyway.

No problems with red meat or chicken. If its tough I do like Wheetsin said and try to discreetly spit it out.

I have a problem with eggs, they just don't go down well for me and also rice.. tried it once and that was all it took to let me know that I can't have that again!! the only other thing is broccoli.. not sure why but I just can't do it. I however can eat bread if I wanted to but I don't. I may have a piece of toast every now and again and it goes down fine.

I guess I am lucky I have no problem with any foods. The problem I have is getting my medications down.