Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The Tapping Technique by Paul McKenna

1. I want you get the biggest desire for a food that you can right now. If you don’t have a big enough craving, put this technique to one side and come back to it when you’re really feeling it.

2. Focus on this craving for a moment, and when you’ve thought of that I’d like you to rate your desire for a food on a scale of 1-10, with 1 being the lowest and 10 the highest. This is important, because in a moment we want to know how much you’ve reduced it.

3. On a scale of 1- 10, how strong is your craving? Remember, if you’re not really craving a bite (i.e. your craving is not at least a 7), come back to this technique later.

4. Now take two fingers of either hand and tap about ten times under your collarbone while you continue to think about eating.

5. Now tap under your eye ten times.

6. Now tap under your collarbone again.

7. Place your other hand in front of you and tap on the back of it between your ring finger and your little finger. Continue to think about your desire for food as you do this and each of the steps which follow:

• Close your eyes and open them.

• Keep your head still, keep tapping and look down to the right then down to the left.

• Keep tapping and rotate your eyes round 360 degrees clockwise, and now 360 degrees anti-clockwise.

Remember to keep thinking about the food you were craving as you do this!

• Now hum the first few lines of ‘Happy Birthday’ out loud.

• Count out loud from 1 to 5.

• Once again hum the first few lines of ‘Happy Birthday’ out loud.

8. Stop and check – on a scale from 1 to 10, what number is your craving at now?

If it hasn’t completely gone yet, just repeat this sequence again until it does.

Sure it will probably work. I've been doing things that work for 40 years, and I've been hungry for 40 years!:Dancing_wub:

Thanks for posting the method! I am going to try it, but think I will wait until I get home. I somehow think attempting this in front of a classroom full of highschoolers would not be wise. :Dancing_wub:

My co-worker has been watching the show and she also said his techiques are working for her.

What I don't get is when he asks someone what their level of craving is for a certain food on a scale of 1-10...the people always give him a high number. Then he has them poke at their face, sing a little song and then he asks them again and suddenly they no longer crave poptarts, or whatever....is that scientific or the power of suggestion ?

I dunno...can I just take my fork and poke my face as I'm eating the poptart ??? Just wondering.....:thumbup:

Hey - that fork thing - now that's a good idea! The face pain will make you forget all about the second poptart (have to finish the first, though).:Dancing_wub: