Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

LapBand found my cancer

Turler, Thank you for sharing your story. You are such a lucky girl to have started the lap band process and to have your cancer discovered. Someone was looking down on you from above. With no symptoms, one can only guess when it would have been discovered.

Will be thinking of you tomorrow and wishing you a quick recovery. You are going to be another success story. Can just tell by your attitude. I am sure that there is nothing you take for granted in your life after what you have been through. God Bless and may all your dreams come true. Karen...hugs

I had uterine cancer of the endometrial lining.

I currently have 2 remaining tumors in my body--1 in my fibula (shin bone) and one in the mastoid ( a bony like gland just below and behind your ear). I had a bone scan done today to check the possible growth factor in the mastoid tumor. Hoping to get good news.

My 5 year mark will be up in September.

Good Luck with your band--mine has made an amazing difference in my life. I know I am in much better health if ever I have to face anything like it again.

Kat

Kat, thinking of you and congrats on your 5 years.

Well, it's finally a reality! I was successfully banded on April 10th. I'm home and healing! I am looking forward to a bright new future of health and happiness. I am eager to get started on this 'Band Wagon' and begin to enjoy the benefits.

Thank you all for caring so much and giving me so much support. I look forward to sharing more of the journey with all of you!

~Carol

Carol, I knew when we met that you had a special light about you that people are drawn to. You are so caring and fun to talk to, that strangers instantly feel like life-long friends!

I am so proud of you for staying strong and fighting your way back to here... now...cancer free and taking the proactive road of banding! I know this is the beginning of an amazing journey and friendship! Thanks for sharing!

Hugs,

n.

Carol, I knew when we met that you had a special light about you that people are drawn to. You are so caring and fun to talk to, that strangers instantly feel like life-long friends!

I am so proud of you for staying strong and fighting your way back to here... now...cancer free and taking the proactive road of banding! I know this is the beginning of an amazing journey and friendship! Thanks for sharing!

Hugs,

n.

Wow Nikki. That is probably the kindest thing anyone has ever said to me. You brought me to tears. Thank you so much!

I just searched Malt Lymphoma today as I just received results from my EGD test . I am already in my last month and was due for lap-band surgery on 3/30. Results show I have H.Pylori and as many others I have to be on the 14 day prev-pac.Total of 112 pills. But I found it strange that the DR wanted to post-pone my surgery (as I saw on lap band talk that many who were disgnosed with H.pylori continued with their surgery.) He then mentioned signs of Malt Lymphoma showing on my results. I was ignorants to all these words he threw at me and decided to log down the words I did not understand much about and look them p on the net when I got home. Well Malt Lymphoma is a cancer mainly caused by H. pylori. I am sure I am in the early stages and hopefully with the prev-pac it will go into remission . But I am upset about post-poning the Lap-band.... I am not sure what to think or do at this point as I see many here disgnosed with H.pylori but no mention of Malt Lymphoma .

Hi Jmone,

Haven't seen this thread alive in a while.

Yes, MALT Lymphoma is relatively rare. It is most often associated with H. pylori although that is not always the case. I did not have H. pylori, but they treated me for it anyway. I also had to go through chemo. I was caught in the very early stages, so I did not have to have radiation.

I really hope everything goes very well for you. Better to postpone and be healthy, than to rush anything. I know the wait is hard, it's the worst. I waited a very long time for my band, and now I'm facing losing mine. Not at all cancer related, but I've slipped and it's most likely coming out.

Good luck, and I'll be happy to answer any questions I can for you if you need!

~C

I want to share my unique journey...

I was diagnosed with insulin resistance by my GYN doctor. After several failed diets and workout programs, she suggested I go to the Bariatric clinic to see if they had some other options for me. At first I was so hurt that I was viewed as "big" enough to need Bariatrics. I actually had already met the surgeon as I am a nurse and worked with him regularly. I agreed to see him as a patient.

We met in his office where he explained my options: Optifast, RNY and LapBand. I barely qualified at that time for the surgeries and couldn't see myself living on a liquid diet so I sort of nixed the idea all together. I was already familiar with RNY patients and knew that was not an option for me. I had heard of LapBand, but not met any patients yet with one but thought it was worth looking into. I started the 6 month required diet and visits with the nutritionist and all the other ancillary staff necessary to make these things happen. He wanted to go ahead with the initial testing such as labs and an EGD (upper endoscopy). I agreed and scheduled my test a few months later on November 8, 2006. The procedure went off without a hitch. Apparently I needed a hefty dose of sedation medication as I kept trying to push the surgeon out of the way so I could see the monitor!!

I returned to work the next day. I felt great, was becoming excited about my decision to get the LapBand. The following day, my surgeon told me we had to repeat the EGD because there was a problem. Problem? What kind of problem? He said, "it appears as though you have cancer".

Cancer??? What?? What do you mean? I thought he was looking for H. Pylori like all the other patients!! He said, "the cells came back as Lymphoma and it's very rare and we must do the test again to be sure". I was 35 years old.

I didn't hear anything else he may have said to me after that. I simply nodded my head and thanked him for his visit and agreed to see him the next day to repeat the scope. As before, the test was easy. I was in a daze and felt like my head was spinning. The lab confirmed the cells were lymphoma very quickly that day, but decided to forward them on to a medical college and from there they were sent to the mayo Clinic. I was diagnosed with MALT Lymphoma. It's an unusual form of Lymphoma that rarely affects women and is usually found when a person is in their 60's-70's. It is normally associated with H. Pylori, but I tested negative on three different tests. I was immediately sent to an oncologist that gave me a list of treatment options -radiation, chemo and partial/total gastrectomy! I got a second and a third opinion as the treatment options for this kind of cancer are not agreed upon by all onocologists. I wanted someone who dealt with it often enough to give me the best outcome possible. Ultimately, it was decided that I'd receive chemotherapy but not radiation at this point (I was too young--would wait and see if chemo worked). I was treated for the H. Pylori anyway, just in case it was there and just not showing up on the tests. The doctors said I most likely had it at some point. I was given a port (a "permanent" IV) to receive my chemo once weekly. I started chemo in January of 2007 and finished at the end of March. In the mean time, all of my weight loss efforts stopped. I did not lose any weight with my chemo (I got to have a very specific kind that only attacked my cancer cells, not the rest of my body), and I didn't lose my hair. I was very tired and my hair thinned, but I was able to continue working (barely--I needed to save my FMLA in case I had to change to anothe chemo that would keep me from working). It was brutal and I was so scared. Mostly for my children and my husband.

In August of 2007, I asked if we could resume the Quest for the LapBand and after much deliberating amongst my two oncologists, GYN, PCP, Endocrinologist and my Bariatric surgeon they agreed. They all agreed that because my cancer attacked at such a young age and we are finally under control (with caution), that it is in my best interest to lose weight and get healthy. I restarted the entire program with many more doctors on board this time. Since my initial appointment, I'd gained approximately 40 more pounds and was feeling pretty bad about the unfortunate turn of events in my life. I went through all the emotions and fear as you'd expect and to this day not sure that I will ever be the same person that I was before. Cancer changes you forever. I needed to have this surgery. I am definitely never a candidate for the RNY now and the doctors all agreed that this option (Lap Band) would be the most benefical without interfering with any future tests or maintainence chemotherapy.

It is unknown whether this particular kind of cancer "could" be related to obesity, but because the band is adjustable, they feel that if my cancer comes back or I need a different treatment, they can work with that. My own school of thought is that had I not been obese, I wouldn't have developed GERD which gave me an ersoion that allowed bacteria in that turned to cancer. Hmmmph. Who knows.

I just know that to receive the LapBand is truely a life saving measure for me. I realize that it is the same for so many of you that have other health conditions that could eventually cause death. I just wanted to share my story with you. I just got another EGD 2 weeks ago and this one is the first one to come back without cancer cells!!!! I am so relieved to be going into this surgery "healthy".

I am looking forward to a new start in life like so many of you. Had I never been referred to the Bariatric clinic, they might never have found my cancer so early (I had NO symptoms). I see this as a strange kind of blessing that I went through all of this never knowing it would literally save my life. So you see, getting banded is my reconstruction, my new beginning, my GIFT!

Just as a breast cancer survivor gets her new breast I get my band on April 10th 2008.

~Carol

You hit the lottery!