Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

LapBand found my cancer

I want to share my unique journey...

I was diagnosed with insulin resistance by my GYN doctor. After several failed diets and workout programs, she suggested I go to the Bariatric clinic to see if they had some other options for me. At first I was so hurt that I was viewed as "big" enough to need Bariatrics. I actually had already met the surgeon as I am a nurse and worked with him regularly. I agreed to see him as a patient.

We met in his office where he explained my options: Optifast, RNY and LapBand. I barely qualified at that time for the surgeries and couldn't see myself living on a liquid diet so I sort of nixed the idea all together. I was already familiar with RNY patients and knew that was not an option for me. I had heard of LapBand, but not met any patients yet with one but thought it was worth looking into. I started the 6 month required diet and visits with the nutritionist and all the other ancillary staff necessary to make these things happen. He wanted to go ahead with the initial testing such as labs and an EGD (upper endoscopy). I agreed and scheduled my test a few months later on November 8, 2006. The procedure went off without a hitch. Apparently I needed a hefty dose of sedation medication as I kept trying to push the surgeon out of the way so I could see the monitor!!

I returned to work the next day. I felt great, was becoming excited about my decision to get the LapBand. The following day, my surgeon told me we had to repeat the EGD because there was a problem. Problem? What kind of problem? He said, "it appears as though you have cancer".

Cancer??? What?? What do you mean? I thought he was looking for H. Pylori like all the other patients!! He said, "the cells came back as Lymphoma and it's very rare and we must do the test again to be sure". I was 35 years old.

I didn't hear anything else he may have said to me after that. I simply nodded my head and thanked him for his visit and agreed to see him the next day to repeat the scope. As before, the test was easy. I was in a daze and felt like my head was spinning. The lab confirmed the cells were lymphoma very quickly that day, but decided to forward them on to a medical college and from there they were sent to the mayo Clinic. I was diagnosed with MALT Lymphoma. It's an unusual form of Lymphoma that rarely affects women and is usually found when a person is in their 60's-70's. It is normally associated with H. Pylori, but I tested negative on three different tests. I was immediately sent to an oncologist that gave me a list of treatment options -radiation, chemo and partial/total gastrectomy! I got a second and a third opinion as the treatment options for this kind of cancer are not agreed upon by all onocologists. I wanted someone who dealt with it often enough to give me the best outcome possible. Ultimately, it was decided that I'd receive chemotherapy but not radiation at this point (I was too young--would wait and see if chemo worked). I was treated for the H. Pylori anyway, just in case it was there and just not showing up on the tests. The doctors said I most likely had it at some point. I was given a port (a "permanent" IV) to receive my chemo once weekly. I started chemo in January of 2007 and finished at the end of March. In the mean time, all of my weight loss efforts stopped. I did not lose any weight with my chemo (I got to have a very specific kind that only attacked my cancer cells, not the rest of my body), and I didn't lose my hair. I was very tired and my hair thinned, but I was able to continue working (barely--I needed to save my FMLA in case I had to change to anothe chemo that would keep me from working). It was brutal and I was so scared. Mostly for my children and my husband.

In August of 2007, I asked if we could resume the Quest for the LapBand and after much deliberating amongst my two oncologists, GYN, PCP, Endocrinologist and my Bariatric surgeon they agreed. They all agreed that because my cancer attacked at such a young age and we are finally under control (with caution), that it is in my best interest to lose weight and get healthy. I restarted the entire program with many more doctors on board this time. Since my initial appointment, I'd gained approximately 40 more pounds and was feeling pretty bad about the unfortunate turn of events in my life. I went through all the emotions and fear as you'd expect and to this day not sure that I will ever be the same person that I was before. Cancer changes you forever. I needed to have this surgery. I am definitely never a candidate for the RNY now and the doctors all agreed that this option (Lap Band) would be the most benefical without interfering with any future tests or maintainence chemotherapy.

It is unknown whether this particular kind of cancer "could" be related to obesity, but because the band is adjustable, they feel that if my cancer comes back or I need a different treatment, they can work with that. My own school of thought is that had I not been obese, I wouldn't have developed GERD which gave me an ersoion that allowed bacteria in that turned to cancer. Hmmmph. Who knows.

I just know that to receive the LapBand is truely a life saving measure for me. I realize that it is the same for so many of you that have other health conditions that could eventually cause death. I just wanted to share my story with you. I just got another EGD 2 weeks ago and this one is the first one to come back without cancer cells!!!! I am so relieved to be going into this surgery "healthy".

I am looking forward to a new start in life like so many of you. Had I never been referred to the Bariatric clinic, they might never have found my cancer so early (I had NO symptoms). I see this as a strange kind of blessing that I went through all of this never knowing it would literally save my life. So you see, getting banded is my reconstruction, my new beginning, my GIFT!

Just as a breast cancer survivor gets her new breast I get my band on April 10th 2008.

~Carol

Wow Carol - what a story, All the best for a Safe Surgery!!! & A Healthy Life ahead of You .

Carol,

Your story really touched me. I'm sitting here in tears thinking about how this journey has changed my life. And here you don't even have your band yet, and it's changed yours in such a profound way.

I don't even know what else to say except thank God for lap-band.

((((((((hugs))))))))))

Thank you both. I didn't know if I was ever going to tell this, but I decided it was time. It was so hard to write, and so many things I wanted to say. I feel blessed (strange huh?)

TG: You made me cry too!

~C

Carol,

Even though I got your story from you first hand seeing it in print is very profound.

You are going to be so successful, I just know it!

Thanks for being brave and sharing your story here for everyone. Maybe you will encourage someone else but definately you are giving other people the opportunity to see just how cool you are.

Edited by OH Juli

Thanks J...it was time I guess. I'm so ready to get the help I need to lose weight and be healthier. I've got a little extra motivation you could say.

~C

Turler*****You know things happen for a reason. You decided to charge before you found out what exactly what was going on inside of your body and you really give me continued hope.. Like my mother (R.I.P) you sound like you are a truly strong woman and your determination will take you where ever you choose to go... Be blessed in everything u do... Thanks for sharring... You never know how your story can help others....

Turler

Wow, what in inspirational story! With all you have gone through, it's just amazing. Many people would have given up but you are still fighting to get your health back.

About 5 years ago I was having some "bathroom" problems so I went to a gastroenterologist and he decided to do a colonoscopy on me (since my mother is a colon cancer survivor). Well I had a polyp that they removed. When the biopsy came back, he said it was a precancerous polyp. His guess was, that in another year, it would have turned into cancer. To think that I almost overlooked the problem thinking it was probably hemorrhoids or something. Your story really touched me, thank you for sharing it!

From one survivor to another----good luck on your banding. I hope you find the control with it that I have. It has been a blessing!

I look forward to watching your success.

Kat

Thank you...it's amazing that cancer has no discrimination. It doesn't matter that we feel just fine. So often people DON"T have any symptoms or worse, you think you've got something as normal as a hemorrhoid and it can turn on you! I'm so glad you were brave enough to get your colonoscopy! So many people, especially young people won't do it. Thank YOU for sharing!

I have been unsure about telling my story for lots of reasons, but one is that I don't want to scare anyone. I want to be successful with the Band and heck, who doesn't want to be a poster child for it or the next commercial even, but I am afraid that my story will scare people off!!

That story was so touching and inspirational. Thank you for having the courage to share it with all of us.

Thank you...it's amazing that cancer has no discrimination. It doesn't matter that we feel just fine. So often people DON"T have any symptoms or worse, you think you've got something as normal as a hemorrhoid and it can turn on you! I'm so glad you were brave enough to get your colonoscopy! So many people, especially young people won't do it. Thank YOU for sharing!

I have been unsure about telling my story for lots of reasons, but one is that I don't want to scare anyone. I want to be successful with the Band and heck, who doesn't want to be a poster child for it or the next commercial even, but I am afraid that my story will scare people off!!

Please don't worry about scaring people off. I look at your story as an inspiration. You seem like you have a lot of drive in you and I know you will succeed with your band. You never know who may NEED to hear your story, for whatever reason. Again, thanks for sharing and good luck to you on your lapband journey.

I finished reading that with tears in my eyes. Thank you so much for sharing such a personal journey. I'm so happy for you that the LapBand has proved to be such an amazing gift. Best health to you always!

Turler, YOU ROCK! And I cried too.

What an amazing story from an obviously amazing woman. Your children are very lucky to have you and your strength as their role model. You can do this and I have no doubt that you will do it well. Please keep us posted on your journey. Good luck on Thursday!

Laura :lol: