Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Did anyone else 2nd guess their choice?

I was banded about a week and 1/2 ago. I am physically doing fine.

I am someone who in the past has made decisions easily and not changed my mind many times. I do lots of research and feel good about how imformed I am about decisions. I certainly researched this decision. I knew the challenges.

It seems that from the time I came home from surgery, I have been concerned that it might be a mistake. I have been overwhelmed with worry about all the things that can happen when banded even though I knew about them. I am so concerned about vomiting, PBs, restriction and pain, that I am not sure I will be able to eat food when it is time. I am on the mushy stage now - and I have barely been able to move on to that.

I am getting hungry very often, but it is not enough to make me want to eat more, or try to make the "mushy" food less liquid.

Even though I've been obese and struggling for years, I have not been sitting around crying and upset with my life. I enjoy my children and am active. Since the surgery, I do have so many moments of crying and wondering how things will be normal.

When I read how well people on this board have done, I also read the pain and struggles in their stories. Can it really be worth living with wondering if a food is going to get stuck or come back up? How can you run around with your kids or be spontaneous when you going through restrictions and sliming?

I am struggling with how to make this feel normal.

It was a trade off for me. I just worried about my weight/health problems as I continued to fight the weight issue. You generally only ask those questions once or twice. You learn what you can or can't eat. It works really well. The band is helpful and mindful to you. Always telling you to make good choices. That's worth it in the long run.

I had a major freak out my second day. I thought I had made the biggest mistake in my life, and this was even after doing enough research to make your head spin. I'm alittle over a year out and it was without a doubt the best decision of my life. You get used to what you can eat, what is iffy, and what will go down smooth. It is a major life change and something that your mind has to get used to. It is not at all abnormal to grieve food and your old lifestyle.

think lots of people second guess what they have done in the first couple weeks. Its your brain trying to catch up with whats really going on. I had a major freak out and mental break down but then i got over it and im fine now. Once you can eat some regular food and start feeling human again you will probably feel better

I felt like you feel. I was an active fat person. I didn't let it get in may way to the best I was able to. I didn't have health issues aside from apnea and that was diagnosed on the way to getting the band...

I have two points. One is you've got buyers remorse. Yeah, you've made this decision and it's probably a really good one, but there's no turning back and that's scary! So you are turning over all the what ifs in your head. You're also recovering from surgery, not eating normal foods yet. This is not the time to be making any profound decisions.

The other point is, as an active fat chick you are going to a super active, on speed, crazy, not so fat chick as the weight comes off. You'll do stuff you never thought you'd be able to do. I promise. It's amazing.

Hang tough. Your doubts will pass and you'll be happy you had the surgery.