Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My nutritionist told me juice to watered down to 75% Water and 25% juice. She said its not because of irratation to the new stomac- but it has way too many calories for me. I was 240 at surgery and am 238 on a 5ft 2 frame on my 4th day post op. At this stage I am lucky to get in about 500 cal a day. Isnt that a bit exteme at this stage? Juice has too many calories? How else are you going to get the Vitamins my body needs.

I'm 5 days post-op and my doctor instructed me to be a clear liquid diet for the first 7 days. On the diet anything that is not Water, broth or skim milk has to be sugar free. I can have clear fruit juices like apple and white grape, but it has to be diluted with water. My doctor didn't really give a formula for water to fruit juice. But it seems like they try to limit the amount of sugar you get. I'm not sure why.

My Clear liquids list just listed apple juice---it was actually on my hospital tray---in a box...like I get for the grandkids.

I didn't add citric juices until later.

Whatever you are drinking, be sure to add some clear Protein drinks, the Protein will help with the fatigue, and also in healing.

The restriction you are being given are at this point it seems for weight loss only. The liquid stage is for healing---but other than some juices that are extremely acidic, I cannot see what the difference would be, unless the sugars impede healing. Maybe one of the nurses, or medically trained bandsters will pop in and give an answer.

Good Luck, and welcome to bandland!! The post op is not easy, it has definite issues....liquid in=liquid out. Not to mention it is hard to feel like you are healing without adequate nutrition. BUT we all did it, and survived it, and you will too. In the meantime, if you have problems or questions, we are here--and don't hesitate to call your Dr. if you feel it is needed!

Kat

How else are you going to get the Vitamins my body needs.
You could always use a liquid Vitamin.< /p>

i can think of several reasons off the top of my head why they would tell you to dilute the juice.

1) if they tell you you can drink full juice all the time as much as you want, some people might drink a lot of juice. some people hate Water. so if juice is about 150 cals a cup, then you'll take in a lot of calories just from that.

2) they are trying to keep you on a high Protein, low carb regimen (juice is all carbs). this is the best way for you to not only lose weight, but also to make the most of your calories by taking in more Protein. this is how you will eat for the rest of your life, so you might as well start now.

3) no matter how much everyone says that the first few weeks are for healing, not weight-loss, most people would be pretty upset if they lost nothing in the first few weeks. it would be discouraging. 500-700 cals a day is plenty to keep you feeling great, but also for you to lose weight. and i find it very difficult even to hit that mark on most days and i'm on full liquids.

4) once you are on full liquids or are eating, you won't be drinking juice unless it is sugar-free or diet. so maybe it would be difficult to tell you to drink all the yummy juice you want now, then take it away from you in a week. you'll know that it's fine for your tummy, and you might be tempted to cheat. then one thing leads to another and you can't figure out why the band isn't working for you.