Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

After surgery check in for Avengers!

Day 8 today, and feeling pretty good (I am certain I would feel a lot better if I could let loose with the world's biggest fart, but no go).

I have my first post-op check-up and esophogram today at NYU.

Only one steristrip has fallen off so far; I would imagine Dr. Ren will probably remove the others to take a look at the incisions.

P.S. -- I must be getting a bit hungry; last night I dreamed of eggrolls (although Freud would have something else to say about that!) :huh2:

I'm four days post-op now, and feel pretty good. The surgery went well, but the first day was kind of rough. I wasn't in much pain due to really good drugs, but my chest hurt and it was harder to breathe than usual. I was kind of surprised by this, since I hadn't heard much about this side effect. My oxygen level dropped below 90% in the hospital, so I had to be on oxygen most of the time I was there. When I got home is was harder to breathe when I laid down, so I stayed elevated with pillows the first two nights.

I was really irritated by the way the hospital staff managed my blood sugar too. Since I hadn't been eating, my blood sugar should have been fine. (I'm diabetic). It was fine the whole week of the pre-op diet. But they hooked me up to an IV drip full of dextrose (sugar) and my blood sugar was off the charts. I kept telling the nurses I needed insulin, but they claimed it wasn't in my orders. Finally, they gave me some, but it wasn't enough and they would not call a doctor for orders for more. :thumbup: Luckily I was only in the hospital overnight.

Now the only pain I have is in my shoulder. I'm still gassy, but that's getting better, and the only pain in my stomach feels like I've done a bunch of sit-ups.

I've been drinking mostly Water, Protein Water, some milk, a little juice and some Italian ice (The cherry italian ice you can get at the grocery store is wonderful). I haven't been hungry, but started to feel a little hungry this morning so I'm having a light yogurt smoothie this morning, which is going down really well.

Oh, the best part -- I am down 17 pounds since starting the pre-op diet on April 4!

Banded at long last! It sure seemed like it would take forever to get to this point, but here I am! I am doing well. I had to stay in the hospital a little longer than usual because I had an allergic reaction to one of the meds. I still have "scales" on my face and stomach from all the itching I did!

I've been pretty hungry, but am trying to "eat" every 2 hours and drink as much Water as I can. I am down 5 lbs. so far so I guess a pound a day isn't too shabby! I've been taking short walks, but yesterday got brave and went all the way around the block! I feel so proud! I think we picked a good time to get banded as the weather is nice enough to lure us outside.

I'm glad everyone is doing so good. It's great to hear from everybody! Please share any good ideas for food/mushies/drinks that fill you up!

~C

Day 8 today, and feeling pretty good (I am certain I would feel a lot better if I could let loose with the world's biggest fart, but no go).

:lol:Hilarious:lol:

Well, I was supposed to have my surgery tomorrow, 11th. Not happening now. Insurance took to long for approval so now I'm on for the 18th.

Livin4Jesus,

Don't feel sad a least your getting it done. I getting mine on the 18th too. We can pray for each others recovery!:biggrin2:

Shakara

I was banded on 4/10. And the day went pretty good. Had to beat the hospital at 6:10 am. They wanted to get a pee sample and it took me forever to pee. Then the nurses was running behind They had to get a blood sugar and they poked me 3 times with a needle because I just wasn't bleeding. But I was in surgery by 8am nd out by 8:40. I woke up in the recovery room and the nurse was hand feeding me ice chips..mmm and I felt really sick so they gae me good meds. Then they put me in another room where my mom can come chill with me. The doctor ordered me to have 4 hours of IV fluids. So that was the longest part. And I also have to war an abdominal binder for two weeks. I have 5 incesions. One is already 98% healed. I still got lot of gas and I try to walk everyday. I have to put an ice pack on my stomach every 2 hours for 2 hours til I see the doctor on the 21. I was only able to lay on my back and now I can lay on my sides. The port site hurts from time totime depending on how I moved. And A frind came by my houe yesterday to get me out or a car ride and te car ride bothered me abit, felt sick. I have no pain other than if I move wrong and hurt the port area.

Guest Leslie2Lose

Today is my one week band anniversary. It is the first day that I really feel good. I'm not too tired and nothing is really bothering me (port/incisions/gas pain).

I had a lot of gas pain yesterday which I managed to eventually get out last night. The best thing for me was to lay down flat on my bed and prop my feet up on the headboard and rotate my hips (with a heat pad under my back), then I'd sit up on the edge of the bed and lean down toward my feet. It felt so good to get the gas of my chest. It took a while to figure out how to do it. I woke up this morning with no gas pains and had plenty of energy.

I go to my Dr. this afternoon to find out medically how I'm progressing. I've been on a clear liquid diet since surgery and I'm hoping he'll move me up to mushies (which he does most of his patients). I'm also hoping he'll clear me to start exercising. I've been taking it easy this week - mainly walking around the office and my house.

I'm so excited about my band and for the first time in a long time feel good about myself! The future looks bright indeed!:thumbup:

I'm so glad to hear that Leslie! I was wondering how your week has gone. Hopefully you can have something more to drink/eat than clears and get walking!!

I too was banded on the 10th. I am back to work and doing well. I am a little sore at my port site, mainly muscular pain though when I move certain ways. I am starting to feel the benefits of the band. There was a carry-in at work and I didn't eat any of it!! I stuck to my packed little itty bitty lunch and got full right away! So far, I just love my little band!

~C

Hi everyone! I am one day post op. It seems like all of you ladies are doing so well!

Surgery day went well for me. I didn't get stuck my usual five times for the IV. She got it on the first try, and even used some numbing meds. I was really nervous in the holding room. I watched too many horror stories about anesthesia, so I asked the doctor a million questions. My friend from work, my husband, and my pastor were with me as I was wheeled in. They gave me some "forget it all" medicine (I think it was Versed) and I was on the table. The strapped me down, said breathe three times into this mask, and next thing I knew I was in recovery with my brand new band! I got some Toradol in there, was only in for about 30 minutes when I stood up. They moved me back to my day surgery room, where I sipped some Water and finally peed. Apparently I had a catheter in surgery, so peeing hurt. :tt2: I got a little nauseated, but they gave me some Zofran which helped. I was home by 4:30.

I started on broth and Jello right away. Yesterday it didn't seem like I was getting enough, but this morning I could feel the "tightness" of the band. I drank some broth and the gurgles started! I am not drinking any water. I am going to have dh get me some Protein water. I am doing well with the broth and Jello. I have to tell you that I am in some pretty good pain today. I have five incisions. He used at least one previous scar from my gallbladder removal. The port site is bothering me. I am a side-sleeper, and sleeping on my back is hard. I am trying not to take the Lortab elixir because it tastes so bad, but it really helps. I have not needed any Phenergan today. Overall, I am just taking it easy. I am having a little gas pain, but not too bad.

For those of you who haven't had the surgery yet, I have a post-op tip for you about gas! I had my second C-section last year, and I read about drinking luke-warm liquids post op instead of cold ones, like ice chips. With my first son, I had terrible gas pains! With my second son and the luke-warm method...I had next to none. I was amazed. I didn't think it would work. I did not have any ice chips after this surgery either, and it seems to be working. :tt1:

Anyway, I am hurting from sitting here, so I am going to walk for a while. God bless everyone, and I am looking forward to keeping in touch!

I didnt think it was really gonna happen today...it was a comedy of errors right from the start! First, they call to tell me not to be here at 5am, but 7:15 am instead, AFTER I had already left the house & was on my way! Then, when I got here, they couldnt find the Drs orders. Then the computer system crashed in the preop registration room. Then best of all, I hear "Code Red, East tower, Penthouse". Great the flippin hospital is burning down now!!!!!!!!!

So my surgery was delayed almost an hour due to a fire somewhere. But, after everything was calm again, surgery went perfectly. I got in around 11:20, & was out by 11:50. Liver was perfect. My band is an Inamed AP Regular 10cc. I am not hungry at all, but I have had some warm broth since it feels great on my throat which hurts SUPER BAD!

The lip balm and throat drops have been big helps too. Although I find myself dozing w/ the throat lozenge in my mouth, gotta be careful not to swallow that!

I am very sore, but I havent had pain meds in about 7 hours now & its not too bad. So far no gas pains & I hope it stays that way!

My mom & kids just left (I am staying the night voluntarily) So I am gonna go nap again.

I just wanted to tell all of you, THANKS SO MUCH!! I never woulda gotten thru all this without the support & knowledge I gained on here! Luv u guys!!!

I am having some issues! I was practically screaming earlier I was hurting so bad. I guess the port is sewn into the muscle? Well I was having some sort of spasms that took my breath away. All I could do was cry! I took my pain medicine earlier than I should have, and that only relieved it some. I might be trying to do too much at 1 day post op...

Anyone else having pain like this?

Good morning! So far so good, no gas pains! I feel pretty good today, sore but no pain meds needed. I am just coughing alot & that hurts bad but not excruciating by any means. Still cant poop but peeing like a racehorse (gross I know) I do wonder if my band is really in there cuz I dont really have alot of pain even in port area. Just general soreness. I should be going home sometime around noon today, hopefully they let me do the barium test cuz I really wanna see my band "face to face" LOL

Hey all! I was banded early Wednesday morning. I feel a lot better today. Got rid of most of the gas. That was the worst part. My incisions only hurt minimally, but the gas made me think I was actually dying.

I got to the surgical center at 6 a.m. Was prepped and wheeled into surgery by 7:30. My surgeon came out to talk to my husband at 8:05. I was up walking by 9 a.m. Had fluoro, drank some Water, dry heaved, and was being pushed out the door into our vehicle by 9:30 a.m. It was really weird.

I had gas and bloating so bad that it would make me sick to my stomach and make me dry heave. I finally started absorbing most of it by last night. Slept really good and felt so much better this morning. I get to take a shower today and I know that will make me feel more human. I've also had some thinned Soup which tasted so good. Still feel like I could burp really good, but not causing any pain. I can get up now without it pulling too much on my port site. That's the sorest spot. Still really tired and napped today. I feel better so I get up and then my energy is zapped.

I'm glad to hear everyone else is doing well. I'll post more later.

hi all

i was banded on the 18th had two nights stay in Barringa private hospital(gorgeous hospital i need an excuse to go back) all the staff were fantastic as there are several drs doing the band in there so they all know what they should be doing even the kitchen staff were fantastic....i was retardedly excited before going in my husband found it very amusing as did the aneathitist(sp) every thing went fine not sure how long it took or which band i have i was told but was too out of it to remember....still have a bit of pain mainly from gas and the large incsion for some reason i have 6 incisions not 5 and the only drugs i'v had have been kid's painstop

woke up with 2 extra beads on my pandora braclet...gotta love that the only thing i found odd was that my chest and the top of my left arm were bright red for nearly 48 hours they looked really sunburnt and were hot to touch but did'nt hurt at all