Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New Lap Bander

Guest Vauren

Guest Vauren

Hello all,

I had my lap band 2 days ago, and have felt awful since. I can't seem to stop dry heaving, and Dr. Kwon just said to stop taking the liquid vicodin, but that hasn't stopped the pukiness! Any suggestions or has anyone else had this problem. I constantly feel like something is sitting on my diaphragm too, is that normal?

Vauren

NY

Feeling bad from the surgery will get better as each day passes. But I didn't have the "dry heaves" after I got home. It possibly could be the pain meds. causing that. Are you able to keep Clear Liquids down? It's important not to get dehydrated. Sip, sip, sip. Hope you're feeling better soon. Congratulations on getting your band.

Hi Vauren,

Congratulations on your banding! People have lots of different reactions to surgery, and yours might be your body still working the anaesthesia out of your system. I don't have any specific advice but hope things improve quickly!

The tight feeling in the chest is normal, I think--at least, I remember having that sense for a week or so after surgery. Not surprising, considering that things got moved around in there and there's healing going on.

Rest up! And let us know how you're doing. ;)

Guest Vauren

I've sort of been able to keep some liquid down, not too much though, mostly because I'm afraid of throwing it back up.

Hi Vauren, Welcome to LBT!

Im response to your diaphram issue... Yes, this feeling is normal! In my humble opinion I thought it felt more like getting hit in the tummy with a basketball. Like they said earlier, it gets better day by day.

Good luck on you new journey!

Hi vauren... I too got banded on weds by dr. kwon. I am so sorry you feel so bad. I actually only feel sore and tired. I am having a hard time drinking the liquid, It makes me have some pain but I was told take very small sips and it helps. The pain meds might be making you sick, try liquid tylenol instead. It makes me not as quesy as the other. Good luck and hope you feel better soon.

Guest Vauren

were you at his office monday between nine and ten in the morning?? If so, you were probably one of the ones I was talking to! I had on the red and black medical scrubs. I think I'm so sore because after the operation, when they got me up to walk around, I passed out and had a seizure, so that didn't help things much. I asked him if I should try liquid tylenol, he said not to, that might make me queasy too.

Thanks everyone for responding so quickly! I think I'm going to like hanging around here...haven't seen anyone in chat yet, maybe I'll catch someone soon.

V

congats on your band I ws banded on 2-9-05 by Dr. Kwon. It does get better over time plus please remember you did just have surgery. You body needs to heal itself now. small sips helps.

Welcome Vauren! Yes, that feeling around your diaphram is normal, I think. I had trouble talking a deep breath, and my surgeon told me that it was because they have to manipulate the diaphram to implant the band.

I was banded a couple of weeks ago...

You will learn to eat again. Very easy and very slowly. Once you do the lbs will fly off. The first week is very rough with soreness and gas and that strange feeling in your stomach. Be patient.

Guest Vauren

thanks everyone for your kind words and thoughts. I had a day out today, but ended up sleeping in the car for an hour or so! Fortunately my best friend is very supportive and took care of me all day!

Awwwwww Vauren, I am so sorry you are having problems. I am sending you wishes of healing and speedy recovery! Its great to have fantastic friends to take care of you!!!

Vauren the feeling you have in your diaphram, I had also. My doctor told me it was from swelling making it feel like i had something stuck, it did go away at about 3-4 weeks post op. I felt like I always had to burp but couldnt cause it felt like something was stuck or blocking it, so I called Dr. Ortiz and he spoke with me a great lengths telling me not to worry, ity was from the surgery and the swelling and it would go away, he was correct, it did! Hang in there each day gets better and better! Good Luck to you :D

Hi Vauren -- The first week after banding is rough for most of us. I'm glad one of your friends could take care of you for a day. Right now you need rest and a chance for your body to heal. You're probably still pumped with abdominal gas from the surgery, not to mention sore from the incisions. The dry heaves sound nasty. I didn't experience that, but believe me this board has members who have experienced just about every possible reaction after being banded. Rest as much as you can and try to be patient. Most of us feel a lot better after four days or so. Meanwhile, welcome to Bandland!

I am only a little over a week post op and I can't even imagine how you are feeling right now. I hope you start doing better really soon. hang in there and let us know how you are doing.