Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Are We ready for a Black President?

Are we ready for a Black President?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Are we ready for a Black President?

• Yes
    • No

Jack, is it any wonder that Obama's podium decor displays his website? I must say that I don't believe anything I see online though, what with all the photoshopping that people are doing these days. Before I buy into anything I research it - otherwise I try to ignore it.

plain don't get me started. McCain's flipflopping started a long time ago. I don't have to back it up. If you aren't aware of it, that's your business. And you don't have to believe a word I say. That's also your business. I just post what I know to be true (like we talked about on another thread) and what I believe. Everyone's viewpoints have everything to do with their own politics (and I use that term in the broadest sense). I'm just happy if something I post makes someone think a little and pay closer attention to the candidates in action.

BJean, that's true. You aren't writing to convince me. And I respect your political choices....that's what makes America great. My point was, if you don't have some supporting facts, and paint your opinion in the vaguest strokes, then the arguement is weakened. I'm aware that some people won't even look at facts in elections. Some vote straight party lines...some vote whatever pecularity strikes them (ie, Obama is handsome, McCain served in Vietnam, ect). So please don't take things personally. I wasn't trying to pick on you as much as play devil's advocate.

On a totally different note, I heard McCain is favoring a contest to improve the electric car battery, and also wants to give a $5000 tax credit to anybody that buys a hybrid. Finally, somebody in Washington may be starting to get it.

Also, that Obama seal thing is for real. I heard on the news tonight that many people complained that it was too similar to the presidential seal, so Obama's people say they're gonna scrap it (which, BTW, I wouldn't consider a flip-flop).

The technology is available to make cars that are not dependent on oil. There are people smart enough in this world to create these things, yet their efforts keep being stifled by our government. Both Bushes were responsible for holding these technologies back as they are in oil. They stand to lose millions if people stop using their product. Nothing like a little bias to make someone willing to sacrifice the future of our world...

You're so right about some people voting for a guy because of the way he cuts his hair.< /p>

I heard a guy on the radio this morning yelling about the fact that people think that if they vote that's all they have to do - their job is done. He was making the point that we really need to work at keeping our elected officials in line and focused on what we, the people, want. He is totally right.

I wonder when was the last time any of us wrote to our congressmen or president to voice our opinions about their actions? We really need to not just elect a person and then go about our business and later complain over a Starbucks that they've done something we don't like. We need to make our voices heard. I've been a legislative aide and I do know that they listen to their constituents.

Many of us have been guilty of just complaining about this administration and feeling helpless and victimized. What we should have been doing is spending as much time telling them what we think as we spend here at LBT! I am guilty as charged. And I'm ashamed of myself.

It's been so unpopular to talk about politics. We've been made to feel unpatriotic if we criticize our president and governmental policies. That is just wrong! They're representatives of us. We are their bosses. We need to exercise our rights as American citizens. We should stop allowing the media to be our voices. We have the power, we just forgot or didn't realize that we had it. There needs to be a political movement in this country that wakes us all up and gets us seriously involved.

Bias, laurenw? Yes, but it's bias born from greed and it is a blatant disregard for Americans and for America and its' future. And this from men who are so quick to label others as unAmerican and unpatriotic.

Aw heck, I could be Michael Moore. :thumbup:

The technology is available to make cars that are not dependent on oil. There are people smart enough in this world to create these things, yet their efforts keep being stifled by our government. Both Bushes were responsible for holding these technologies back as they are in oil. They stand to lose millions if people stop using their product. Nothing like a little bias to make someone willing to sacrifice the future of our world...

Who stands to millions? Bush? Big Oil? I don't get exactly what you're saying (besides bashing Bush......whom I believe killed the electric car). But let's be fair. Clinton / Gore didn't exactly bust ass to wean us off oil, either. Neither did Bush Sr, Reagan, or Carter.

Hopefully one candidate will step up and divulge a plan to wean us off fossil fuels (and not one o' those 50 year plans, either.).

I should be clear that I meant *the government* would lose millions if they made an efford to wean us off oil. Lobbyists for the oil compaines pay big bucks to make sure the ideas that dont suit their tastes get put on the back burner. I am aware that one man or one family didnt and could not create the amount of problems we face now. Maybe Im jaded (and I hope im wrong), but Im not sure there is a politician out there who can stand up against this machine and refuse the money that the oil companies use to buy them off.

Bias, laurenw? Yes, but it's bias born from greed and it is a blatant disregard for Americans and for America and its' future. And this from men who are so quick to label others as unAmerican and unpatriotic.

Aw heck, I could be Michael Moore. :tt1:

Good point...Jack mentions the idea is outlandish that someone could be so greedy that they would completely disregard everyone else in the country and use their power to gain control. Im not saying it is forsure happening, but its not that far fetched. It has happened before in history. I hope you are right that it cant happen here, but im just not sure. The bias is totally based in greed, and it would take a really courageous person, probably a person who wouldnt ever be elected to office, to turn away from the money and do things that might actually help this country. I really like Obama and I hope he would be able to do this, but again, im just not sure....

One of the biggest disappointments to me in my lifetime (if you don't count the assassinations) was to see that Bill Clinton was unable and unwilling to stand up to it all. He had big dreams and made wonderful promises, but it didn't take long for those to be shut down. He did manage some worthwhile things during his tenure, but nothing like we'd hoped.

One person who did try to stand up to try to change the way things are done in Washington was Jimmy Carter. He was booed out of town and ridiculed by congress. And the public went along with the booing. He was nearly impotent as a president. But I don't believe he sold out like the Clintons and I respect him for that. He has worked since he's been out of office to do good things all around the globe. And interestingly, he is criticized constantly for it. Meantime, Bill Clinton has become wealthy. He and elder Bush made a few appearances and said some good stuff, but neither of them has done anything very impressive other than building their empires. And that, I'll admit, has been impressive.

You don't hear me criticizing Nixon, Reagan or George W. and that is because they sold out even before they took office. They really never promised any changes to improve the way Washington does business and that's exactly what they delivered. They enjoyed the fruits of the way things are done and they started building their empires way before they left office.

I understand why Jack feels so jaded, but I hope I never give up on the idea that things can improve.

The Washington "system" has evolved into such a giant self-fulfilling circle of reinforcement, it may never be able to be changed. But it sure won't change if we don't figure it out and demand more of our politicians, just as we must turn away from our dependance on oil instead of allowing those who profit from it run this country into the ground.

BJean,

I don't remember and haven't read all your posts on this matter but have you been involved in politics, maybe you'd be a good candidate!!:tt1: Nanook

Nanook: That's funny! I don't have the stomach for actually running for public office. I don't know how my Dad did it.

I've served on 4 homeowner's boards of different neighborhood Homeowners' Associations in 4 different states and that was surprisingly political!

Sometimes the people who wind up serving on boards like that are way too hungry for power and they like to shove people around in the neighborhood. It can get ridiculous!

Fortunately in this town, the neighborhoods employ privately owned companies to manage the affairs of the neighborhoods. I like that except right after we moved into our house here, I got a card repremanding me for putting a quite lovely small bird bath in my front flowerbed. They carded me for not having drawn plans submitted to and approved by the board. For a 3 foot bird bath! Yeah, right. Moved the sucker to the back yard and just lived with it. Most people would defy the association and dare them to come after them. That's just not worth the hassle to me. Besides, rules is rules.

BJean:

re: "because they sold out even before they took office."

So do I understand you to represent our political system has produced no one as president in the last 50 years that hasn't either sold out while IN office or even prior TO taking office?

And that Mr. Obama is going to somehow 'change' that?

Here's hoping!

BJean,

I must have missed the stuff about your dad so you'll have to direct me where you wrote about him, sorry but I don't get around much!

I'm kind of lucky because where I live it's a small town and there is no home owner's association. More of a town association I guess. My MIL has one in SC in her retirement development and really wanted to put up a weathervane, probably a cute sea bird or something and it was a no no so she ended up returning it. I don't know if I could deal with that, a birdbath, what about garden gnomes are they out too?

I can almost see the weathervane being problematic if a hurricane were to come ashore and blow that thing off and send it flying through someone's window but birdies need to bathe dammit!!

On a side note, probably shocking but probably not, my father felt a bit terrorized by one of my neighbors and she was an elderly woman and a member of the garden club. I really don't remember what she did to piss him off but he had quite a temper and a "they're all out to get me complex". Anyway he was replacing one of our toilets one year and I don't know what moved him to do this, could have been vodka, but he took the old toilet and put it in the backyard and planted flowers in it. In complete view of my poor neighbor's beautiful garden. Naturally I was embarrassed but he took great joy in it! He would not have done well with a home owners association.:) Nanook

The Washington "system" has evolved into such a giant self-fulfilling circle of reinforcement, it may never be able to be changed. But it sure won't change if we don't figure it out and demand more of our politicians, just as we must turn away from our dependance on oil instead of allowing those who profit from it run this country into the ground.

This is, unfortunately, all too true. The 2 party system is slowly eroding the public confidence in politics. If the government would match campaign funds to all viable candidates, Americans would have more choice, and thus a louder voice, IMO.