Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm looking into lapband vs gastric bypass and have my informational seminar scheduled for the end of April. One big drawback is that my insurance will definitely not pay for surgery--it is explicitly prohibited by the HMO. :eek: I've read so many different opinions on this blog but it helps to read them all to get a balanced view. My biggest fear is that the cravings will be untouched by this process. :confused2: As most of you probably know, its not about will power, but the cravings I get for carbs and sweets are overwhelming. I've been to OA and many other support groups and they all mean well, but I think there is something missing. I know they have medications that deal with alcohol and cocaine cravings, so I wonder if they may find one some day that works with the food cravings, something to straighten the brain out and turn off that message. Anyway, I'll keep reading and moving forward. Thanks for being there. :bolt:

Welcome to a fellow Wisconsinite! Where in WI are you?

I'm surprised to say that I'm surprised your HMO explicitly prohibits Lap-Band. Is any sort of WLS surgery covered? You'd think they'd prefer to cover a one-time surgery and its follow-ups over years of escalating health problems that will ultimately cost more. Hm.

I'm 8 days out now and thus far the cravings haven't been awful. I'm sure more browsing of the board will give you lots of different answers on that, though! I never had much of a craving for sweets, but carbs... man. I could bring home a loaf of salami & provolone chopblock bread and eat that for Breakfast, lunch, and dinner. It was actually rather easy to walk past it without too much longing the last time I was in the grocery store. It gives me hope for later on in the process.

Hi Bluz,

Where in WI are you? I live in Marinette and was banded 11/2/07 in Green Bay. I truly hope you can find a way to make the surgery happen.

With regard to the cravings, it's true that they don't go away. However, I can say that since I've been banded food just doesn't seem quite as important as it used to. The band has given more willpower, if that makes sense.

Good luck to you,

Robin

No wieght loss surgery of any kind is covered. Its Network Health Insurance. I live in Oshkosh and am looking at Theda Clark in Neenah so that's where I'm attending the informational seminar at the end of the month. I'll keep at this, thanks.

Good luck to you fellow Wisconsinites. I am from Sheboygan, and getting banded next week at Aurora Sinai in Milwaukee. They have a Bariatric Center of Excellence, so they have a comprehensive program and lots of info on the outcomes they have seen. There is a lot of 'red tape' associated with the COE, and insurance coverage, but hopefully it will be worth it!

Good luck to you fellow Wisconsinites. I am from Sheboygan, and getting banded next week at Aurora Sinai in Milwaukee. They have a Bariatric Center of Excellence, so they have a comprehensive program and lots of info on the outcomes they have seen. There is a lot of 'red tape' associated with the COE, and insurance coverage, but hopefully it will be worth it!

Hello from Eau Claire! If I have the dates right, you are banded now?? How did it go!? Good for you.:lol:

No wieght loss surgery of any kind is covered. Its Network Health Insurance. I live in Oshkosh and am looking at Theda Clark in Neenah so that's where I'm attending the informational seminar at the end of the month. I'll keep at this, thanks.

I should get banded at UW-Health in Madison in June. They have a payment plan. It's also a Center of Excellence so they have been really thorough so far. Good Luck!! :lol:

Hi back, Marci!

Yes, I had my surgery last week Wednesday. I'm doing great! Was in the hospital about 18 hours after surgery...first few days very typical - pretty sore, gas pains and rumblings - but I've been able to be up and around, and walking does help. I'm only taking the liquid Vicodin at night, and plain tylenol during the day. Hard to get all the Protein Shakes they say I should have in! It seems like I'm always sipping something... Have not been hungry at all.

I've heard this immediate post op phase of being full passes one the swelling goes down, and then we enter 'bandster hell' of being hungry all the time until the right amount of fill is in...but meanwhile, I'm enjoying NOT being hungry while only eating probably less than 600 cal's a day. My surgeon requires pureed food x 2 weeks post op - so I have 2-3 ounces of food 3 x a day, and supposed to get in 2 full cans of Protein shakes in addition, on top of 64 ounces of water! Goal is 60 grams of Protein a day. So far it's been hard to reach that goal!

It's really amazing that they can do this surgery with only 5 little incisions - most less than an half-inch long. I had a hernia repair as well. The pain from the incisions is minimal, and it's only the larger port incision that is sore at all.

I am SO happy the surgery is over, and wish everybody the best while you recover or wait for YOUR happy Band/Surgery day.

BTW - I considered bypass instead of the band also. Really wasn't sure which would be best for me. The Bariatric center team does help with that...they evaluate your eating patterns, weight loss needs. In the end, I was more concerned about the increased risks of bypass, and the side effect of possible dumping syndrome. Cutting out and re-routing intestines seemed too drastic/risky for ME, so I chose the lap band instead. I had been able to eliminate excess sweets pre-surgery, and change my eating habits. However, for some people, the gastric bypass works better - because of the negative effects of a eating sweets/ dumping syndrome helps them avoid them, and the malabsorptive features are what they require to loose weight.

I can't predict how this will work for me...but right now I am VERY optimistic that I'll meet my weight loss goals.

Best wishes to my fellow Wisconsinites!

Hi Wisconsinites, I got banded at UW Madison too. Very happy with everyone there. I'm so glad to see others from here.

Thanks Lizalee! Congrats! That sounds like a lot of protein..wow. I am happy with my BAND decision, too; should happen in June. Very nice of you to take the time to give us such a positive report.