Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

gaining weight before being banded???

Has anyone experienced weight gain before being banded? I was such a nervous wreck before I got the approval from insurance that I feel like I gained some weight. I'm afraid to step on the scale...as usual!!!

My doc does not require a pre-op diet, but I think that I will try some Protein Shakes for a few days before surgery.

I gained a bit before hand as I was eating everything in site thinking I would never be able to eat again. It turns out, I was wrong. I can eat just about everything I did pre-band with the exception of bread and other doughy foods.

I gained a bit before hand as I was eating everything in site thinking I would never be able to eat again. It turns out, I was wrong. I can eat just about everything I did pre-band with the exception of bread and other doughy foods.

I gained a few pounds also!! I think more so because I gave up smoking!! It's now 4 mo w/o smoking... I also feel like I need to eat everything I enjoy the most.. as if i'm saying good bye to all my favorite foods!!!!!! Like it's my last supper... lol Don't worry that your gaining.. this is the whole reason for getting the band!!! It would be a good idea to do some kind of pre-op diet prior to surgery.... just to shrink the liver, and the surrounding fat around the stomach. Lots of luck!!:bolt:

I went on a holiday for 2 weeks about 6 weeks before my surgery and ate out 3 meals a day the whole time (fast food mostly). I put on about 10 pounds in the 4 weeks before my pre op diet. Disgusting I know. And there really was no rhyme or reason to it, I just overate my way to 250 pounds.

I lost about 15 pounds on my pre op diet though, thank goodnes!

I commend you for wanting to get a head start on your weight loss with the protien shakes, it means you're on the right track for changing your life for the better. Good luck!

I put on about 8 lbs before surgery. I was so anxious about the surgery I couldn't stop eating. Crazy because in the end because I got through it without any problems. Good luck.

My surgeon required a 6 month pre op weight loss group. I didn't lose more than 5lbs during that. It was the 2 week CIB diet before surgery that made me drop 20lbs

I am just starting my own pre-op diet (dr. only requires 2 week Atkins-type diet). Initially, I lost about 5 pounds, but have slowly been creeping back up .5 - 1 pound at a time. A lot of us go through last supper syndrome, which can cause weight gain, so don't stress out too much about putting on a few. Just try to control how much you eat and balance any "slips" with some healthy eating and exercise to keep any gain from being too dramatic. I can't imagine a few pounds would matter too much, but your dr. might not liek ti if you really start packing on the pounds because it will make performing the surgery more difficult. Good luck!!

I gained about 10lbs as I kept waiting and waiting, about 5-6 months to see if they were even gonna start doing the surgery in my area, eeeek! I was a baaaaaaaad girl, but not anymore :smile:

I gained about 5 pounds in the few weeks before surgery :smile: I wanted to make sure I didn't miss any food when I couldn't have it anymore, lol.

Thanks for your honest feedback guys. I haven't started the shakes yet, but this morning I ate a bowl of oatmeal and had some pink grapefruit with it...... I am hoping to have an Herbalife shake for lunch with berries in it and then a "small" dinner....... Wish me luck!!! :smile:

Hey JerseyGirl2u, I grew up in Montclair!!! Glen Ridge is the next town over!! I miss NJ!!! Did you know that Tom Cruise grew up in Glen Ridge??