Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The Natural Diet Solution For PCOS.......

I couldn't find jicama either. What is it???

Here's a description of jicama that I found on the internet

Jicama is a crispy, sweet, edible root that resembles a turnip in physical appearance, although the plants are not related. Jicama has been cultivated in South America for centuries, and the vegetable is quite popular in Mexican cuisine. Jicama has a unique flavor that lends itself well to salads, salsas, and vegetable platters. The roots can sometimes grow to be quite large, although when they exceed the size of two fists, they begin to convert the sugars that give jicama its sweet flavor into starches, making the root somewhat woody to the taste.

Jicama is actually a legume, and it grows on vines that may reach 20 feet (six meters) in length. The vines tend to hug the ground, terminating in tubers that may grow up to 50 pounds (22 kilograms) in size, although the majority of jicama roots sent to market are approximately three to four pounds (1.3-2 kilograms) in weight. Before eating, the coarse brown outer layer of the jicama should be peeled to reveal the white inside.

When choosing jicama at the store, look for medium sized, firm tubers with dry roots. Do not purchase jicama that has wet or soft spots, which may indicate rot, and don't be drawn to overlarge examples of the tuber, because they may not be as flavorful. Jicama will keep under refrigeration for up to two weeks.

Jicama is excellent raw and is sometimes eaten plain. It can also be used as a substitute for Water chestnut in Chinese dishes, in which case it should be thrown in right before serving. Jicama also appears in stews, juiced drinks, stuffings, and a variety of other recipes. In addition to having a unique flavor and texture, jicama takes flavor well, making it well suited to culinary experimentation. Jicama is a great source of Vitamin c and is fat free—making it a superb on-the-go snack.

Jicama grows best in warm, dry climates. It can be planted and grown year round, although tubers form better during the winter time. Jicama plants sprouted in the late spring tend to produce extremely robust tubers by the winter, while jicama planted in the summer produces the most flavorful tubers, although they are typically somewhat smaller. Jicama prefers full sun and moderate rainfall, and it is subject to frost damage, making it a poor choice for northern climates. In addition, jicama produces a natural insecticide in the above ground vine, meaning that the plant protects itself from harmful pests.

You are a wealth of information!! There is a strong hispanic population here. I am going to look at a couple different stores today and see if I can find it.

Here we go!! Off to a great week!!

Amy

Well, I went to the doctor this morning and they had the results from my culture. I have MRSA staph. So, they had to put me on a different anitbiotic because the one I am on will not do any good. It wasn't the news I was hoping for, but it is what it is.

Honestly, MRSA scares me to death. I just hope my DH and son don't get it too!

Bless your heart. Wash your hands really well, and be sure and take all of your antibiotics even if it looks better. You will be ok. hang in there.

Here's what i ate today.

B - boiled egg and baby spinach

L - 4 cherry tomatoes and 6 walnuts pieces

D - Basic chicken stirfry

S - tangerine and 6 almonds

Need to drink lots more Water.

Get lots of rest and feel better real soon!!!!

I totally blew it on food today. I got up early to pay bills, because I knew we would be out all day. I planned to take nuts, fruit, etc with me, but ran out of time. I left the house at 9am with nothing in my tummy, and no food to eat during the day. Bad choice....

Here is what I had today

B - Nonfat peppermint white mocha, no whip cream

L - 2 pieces of fried chicken and 2 100 twix bars

D - marinated flank steak and steamed zuchinni and yellow squash

S - small lemon slush, edemame

My saving grace...... 3.2 miles on the treadmill and 30 minutes on the stationary bike.

How are you feeling today??????

I didn't do very well yesterday and I probably won't be doing very good today either. Today is my birthday and my DH wants to get an ice cream cake to Celebrate. So I'm definitely going to have a piece.

I'll be glad when I can start working out again, that way, the bad days won't be so bad.

Oh, I found out that DH is getting me a bodybugg for my birthday. I am really excited about that. I've been wanting one since I got banded and we just haven't had the money to get it. I'm going to have to wait until next month to get it, but it will be worth it.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I hope you enjoyed your day!! I have thought about bodybug too. You will have to let me know what you think!!

Thanks Renewed! I did have a good day.

I went to the doc for a follow up and he said everything looks good. I'll finish up my antibiotics and I should be good to go. What a relief!!!

I am sooo glad!! I know that was pretty scary!! Well, I have had a couple of not so good days. We are going to the Relay for Life tonight, so I know I will not eat great there either. I am going to be careful of what i eat over the weekend and then get back at it full force on Monday!! I seem to have lost a little of my drive. I am going to find it over the weekend. My 6 month bandiversary is next Thursday and I am 2 pounds from being down 60 pounds and making the challenge!! I am going to work really hard at it!! Have a great weekend!!

I googled Nancy Dunne(one of the authors). Then I went to her website and ordered. I wish I knew where it was now. I have somehow lost my book. I have torn this place apart and I can't find it!!! ARGHHHH!!!

Thanks for the ideas! I will try Amazon and also try googling one of the authors.

I have to say, I can't tell you how excited I am about the threads on PCOS. And that you have had the LB surgery and you are losing weight!

I am waiting on approval with my insurance...And I keep getting these doubts thinking okay someone with PCOS is not like the "normal" person who gets this procedure done... What if it does not work either... I know that it is just a tool...and at this point I NEED this tool to help me... It is so encourging to have other women who share the same problems. It's nice to know I'm not alone in this battle with PCOS.