Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The Natural Diet Solution For PCOS.......

Hi everyone! Have any of you fellow PCOS'ers heard of the book by Nancy Dunn and Bill Slater called "The Natural Diet Solution for PCOS and Infertility". I've had the book for a while and I have just now decided to start this diet. I've been talking with Renewedhope (Amy) about it and she is on board to try it too! I just wanted to open this up for all PCOS'ers to join in.

Renewedhope and I are starting the diet on Monday. If anyone is interested in joining us, you can go to Nancy Dunn's website and order a book. It is on back order right now, but there is a downloadable version you can use until the book arrives.

I haven't read the whole book yet, I plan on doing a lot of reading this weekend so I'll be ready to start on Monday. This book says it will help us learn natural ways to:

~Regulate your monthly cycles

~Achieve a healthy pregnancy

~Lose weight

~Relieve depression

~Reduce acne

~Lessen Hair loss

~Diminish risk of miscarriage

~Control hirsutism (excess body or facial hair)

~Minimize risk of heart disease & diabetes

~Enjoy increased energy

~Reduce need for ovarian surgery

~Improve skin quality

Renewedhope and I will be posting regularly about this diet and the improvements of our PCOS symptoms. Anyone is welcome to join us and I hope you all check this book out. From what I have read, the authors seem to be very knowledgeable about PCOS and seem like they have done a lot of research. Good luck to all you fellow PCOS'ers!

Edited by georgia girl

Hi ladies,

Sounds good! Looking forward to reading up on your progress!

My GYN told me that just losing the weight would help my (severe) PCOS, so i'm looking forward to getting it off! But a specific diet plan would be good, I think! Does it seem fairly compatible with the band, in terms of the things they actually want you to eat?

Cheers,

Annie.

Hi ladies,

Sounds good! Looking forward to reading up on your progress!

My GYN told me that just losing the weight would help my (severe) PCOS, so i'm looking forward to getting it off! But a specific diet plan would be good, I think! Does it seem fairly compatible with the band, in terms of the things they actually want you to eat?

Cheers,

Annie.

It seems very compatible with the band. You can eat lean meats (beef has to be free range fed only, which might be a challenge for me because I don't know where to get it), chicken breast and turkey (no skin), fish and shrimp (not breaded or fried), organic or free range eggs (cooked on the lowest heat possible). You can have a large variety of vegetables, fruits, and nuts (though there are certain ones that are forbidden).

No grains and no dairy on this diet. The grains I don't mind, but I'll have a hard time giving up my yogurt, lol. This is not just a losing weight diet for me, I am doing this so my PCOS symptoms can get under control too.

So to answer your question, I think it's very compatible in regards to what is suggested by my nutritionist. Every nutritionist doesn't suggest the same things but mine suggests eating Protein first, then a non-starchy veggie, then if there's room eat a piece of fruit, then bread last. So it definitely works for what my nutritionist recommends. Good luck to you however you decide to work your band.

Well, I went grocery shopping last night to get everything I need for Monday. I am excited to start! I bought a lot of fresh vegetables and fruits. I didn't see any free range fed beef so I guess I'll have to stick with chicken for now. I'm gonna miss cooking with ground turkey, which I would rather have than beef anyway. The diet says no processed or packaged poultry :tt1:. I bought some of those Zip and Steam bags so I'm excited to try that out. I also bought some almonds and cashews for Snacks. I love eating nuts with a piece of fruit for a snack and the book says if you eat both of them together it will help stabilize your blood sugar.

Has anyone ever tried Lentils? I've never had them but I bought some to try. I went to Wal-Mart grocery shopping and there definitely wasn't very much that was organic. I wish there was a whole foods market near me, but I've never seen one. I also wanted to buy some Jicama but they were out of it. I tried Jicama a few years ago when I was doing the Atkins diet and I really liked it. It reminded me of an apple. Not the taste necessarily, but it was crunchy and juicy like an apple.

Anyway, I'm really excited about starting this diet and looking forward to some positive results!

I am planning to do my shopping tommorow evening. The book looks really good. Lots of good explanations, not just do this or that. It is kinda hard to sit and read it on the computer. I can't wait to get my hard copy. I skipped to the food part so I will know how to shop. If I understand it right, it looks pretty easy to shop for. Just stay within the lists and pretty much no breads, dairy or anything from a box or bag. Easy enough to buy for. I am looking forward to getting started as well.

Renewed,

Does your locol grocer carry a variety of organic fruits and veggies? I just don't know where to find organic foods. I even called the one produce market in my town, and they don't even have organic fruits and veggies. I may end up having to do some of my grocery shopping out of town. There is a Publix about 50 minutes from me, they would probably have organic stuff?

Walmart and Brookshires. Not a lot of organic here either. There is a Whole Foods Market about 2 hours from here. I went once before. The only thing is, with a family of 7, I just don't think I can afford to shop at a supermarket like that. Just eating healthy is more expensive and its probably the only added expense I can handle right now. I know it would be sooo beneficial to eat all organic, but I think what I can get locally will have to do for now. I think if we follow the diet, even with nonorganic foods, we will still see success with our symptoms. Granted, maybe not quiet as much as eating all organic, but I still think we will see good results.

well, I just babbled on and on didn't I??

I am going shopping tommorow night. i am ready to get going.

Today I ate so much junk. I went to a friends for lunch. We had chicken fried deer steak, potatoes, broccoli, and corn. We had cheesecake for dessert. Then we went to a birthday party and I ate a small ice cream cone.

I have not eaten that much junk in one day in awhile. I really feel like crap tonight. I am trying really hard to finish my workout, but I stopped to post because I am having a hard time after all the junk and it being so late. I guess I better get back on the treadmill.

Ok, I'm done with exercise for the night. It is way too late to be trying to catch up on a day of poor choices.

Looking forward to tommorow.

Amy

Well I've had a bad weekend with food too! I guess I'm having "last meal" syndrome, lol! Well, Monday is a new day and I'm excited too! I'll just have to eat what I can get here too! I just don't want to drive a long way from home to get groceries! That would get pretty old!

What do you think about the book? It makes a lot of sense to me and I think the authors are very educated about PCOS and the symptoms that come with it.

I have not read a lot. But what I have read I have been really impressed with. They do seem very knowledgable. I like how it tells us why we should make the changes that it reccommends. It's not just do this and don't do that. It tells you why. Lots of really good information. The diet looks pretty restrictive, but I really want to give it my very best effort. I can't wait to get the hard copy and really dig into it.

Amy

Well, today is the day! I'm sooo excited to get started. I'm having a little bit of a hard time knowing what I'm going to eat for Breakfast. I'm soooo used to my low carb slim fast every morning. This morning I ate 12 fresh blueberries and 6 whole, natural almonds. This is actually the first time I have eaten solid food for breakfast since being banded, I think. I guess it's good my band has relaxed some, lol. I'm not sure what I'll have the rest of the day but I will post it when I do. Okay, I've got a few more things to do around the house, then I'm off to the gym.

Haven't read the book but I am anxious to see how it goes for you. It is something I would like to try after banding (I am on the pre-op diet right now...starving!! LOL)

I will be especially interested to see how it works in regards to regulating your cycle and the facial hair thing.

Thanks!

Sharon

Haven't read the book but I am anxious to see how it goes for you. It is something I would like to try after banding (I am on the pre-op diet right now...starving!! LOL)

I will be especially interested to see how it works in regards to regulating your cycle and the facial hair thing.

Thanks!

Sharon

Hey bookaddict! Just losing weight has really played a big part in regulating my cycle. I am really hoping that this will help with the facial hair. I have been off my Actos Metformin for a couple of weeks and I can really tell a difference. I'm not even sure if Actos Metformin is supposed to help with facial hair, but I can tell it's been worse the past week or so and I wonder if it has to do with me not taking my medicine. I am going to start back taking it tonight and see if it gets any better. Good luck with the rest of your pre-op diet. When is your surgery date?