Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How do you deal with your cravings, frustrations and feelings of weakness?

Hi Everyone :biggrin2:

Just wondering, how do you guys cope when you get an intense craving, or feel desperate and weakened by it all.

I try to curb cravings by drinking a Protein Shake and waiting for a bit to see if the craving is still there. If it is, I indulge the craving but just a bite (maybe 2 :biggrin:)

When I feel I am at a low point, I log into to lapbandtalk.... you are all an inspiration.

Hi Everyone :biggrin2:

Just wondering, how do you guys cope when you get an intense craving, or feel desperate and weakened by it all.

I try to curb cravings by drinking a Protein shake and waiting for a bit to see if the craving is still there. If it is, I indulge the craving but just a bite (maybe 2 :biggrin:)

When I feel I am at a low point, I log into to lapbandtalk.... you are all an inspiration.

You are doing what you need to - find distractions - remember why you were banded - LBT becomes our transfer addiction :lol: - it a good thing it's calorie free - doesn't cost a dime and it's the greatest place imho..

For me my intense cravings aren't like they use to be at all - once your body gets use to eating healthy that's what it craves most of the time - and if I have to have choc - I have sf fudgecicle or choc pudding or even a Protein Bar - you get your sweet fix and Protein at the same time.

The 3 bite rule is another tool I use. Exercise too is key.

Good Luck on this journey

Cravings: If I crave something, I have it. This is a big tenant in my success.

Frustration: I don't know that I've ever had "band frustration". Life frustration, sure - lots and lots of it. But sitting here thinking I honestly can't think of one time I've been frustrated because of my band.

Feelings of weakness: Not sure I have these either, but I understand where my weaknesses come from, and I also understand they're not something I should let get me down. I mean - I'm weak in those areas for a reason, and the most I can do is try to improve.

(You can probably tell -- I'm not, nor was, much of an emotional eater)

I am relatively new (banded since Feb), so I don't have a wealth of experience. However, for me, I am trying to not respond with food to cravings. I am trying to 'break' the need to feed and that includes crunching ice chips . It is TOO easy for me to slip - munch on ice...sip of a Protein drink..then a taste of this or that. Instead, I try to distract myself. I have gone to the closet and put on an article of clothing that was too small...and say, THIS is why you should not have X. I have picked up some sewing to be done, or ironing, or vacuuming, or dusting - sadly, there is always housework! While at work, I have gone to the ladies room and brushed my teeth - I love the feeling of clean teeth! I take a walk...distraction is my action.

Good luck.

In terms of cravings, I did not get the band to be on a diet or be deprived for the rest of my life. I got it so I can eat like a normal person in normal quantities. Yes, I have changed my eating to healthier foods. But, when I crave something, I eat it. My band keeps me in control. And, if I deny that craving, it only gets worse until I go completely overboard and end up binging. So why do that when I can just eat what I crave and enjoy it?

Two things that help me: coming on here and reading and responding.. it keeps me busy and not thinking of food.

And then instead of sitting in front of the tv when I come home from work like I use to.. eating.. me and my DH go to the gym for 1-2 hours every day after work. Between 5-9 use to be my big eating times... sometimes I would have two dinners or A LOT of dinner. Staying busy helps me. I think I was a bored eater before.

Everything in moderation, thats the whole thing about the band it teaches moderation.

If i have a craving and i've had my treats for the week i just push through it, its all you can do. Although as the above poster mentioned distraction is key.

Bel

I agree with many of the above posts - if i'm really really craving something, and my craving is still there after half an hour, and after 2 big glasses of Water, then I have some. All in moderation.

Corn chips (Doritos) were always my big weakness. I used to have a whole 220gm pack, smothered in salsa, cheese, avocado and sour cream, when i had a craving. Now, I have about 5 chips, with no "topping". The craving generally passes.

Distraction is a big thing -- and getting on LBT is usually the winner - I can spend hours on this site, it's really interfering with my university work!

Hooray for transfer addictions! Hee hee.

If I really truly crave something I have it.

If I'm suffering head hunger (which makes me think I must have chocolate biscuits) I eat something like an apple first. I must be the only person in this entire forum but Protein foods do not fill me. Fibrous foods like fruit do. Once I've eaten an apple I can guarantee I wont want whatever it was I thought I wanted.

If I'm truly hungry then generally I'll want something healthy so I have it.

And Annie - I should be finishing a lit. assignment right NOW! Argh.

And Annie - I should be finishing a lit. assignment right NOW! Argh.

Ha ha I finished by lit. assignment 2 days ago, now it's a maths one i'm putting off! :thumbup:

This is my last post today, i promise!

Many interesting advices here.

I agree with lots that has been said previously. Keeping busy is the key for me, but sometime it simply doesn't work.

Eating/drinking something cold (big glass of cold Water or tea) or something frozen (low fat yogurt, bits of frozen banana) sometimes helps.

niki

Lol, I have to do my maths one this weekend. What are you studying? I'm doing primary teaching.

I am as well actually, getting my postgrad qualifications in early primary teaching! Are you undergrad or postgrad?

Hi, Sufina here; my band date is coming up soon: May 7!! I'm feeling really encouraged by being able to come to this site and "check-in". You guys are very inspiring and I sooooo look forward to a new way of relating to food, I have come to realize it has been a long-growing addiction for me that my love affair with food had begun to be my primary interest and it was narrowing down my ability to have energy to do anything else except go to work, come home and watch tv and binge., I even came home early from a vacation last year in Costa Rica because I had no energy to keep up with the activities, I felt such shame and blamed it on the heat and my (newly treated) high blood pressure, I now feel such hope and will count on this forum for my support. thank you all! warmly, sufina:tt2:

Hi, Sufina here; my band date is coming up soon: May 7!! I'm feeling really encouraged by being able to come to this site and "check-in". You guys are very inspiring and I sooooo look forward to a new way of relating to food, I have come to realize it has been a long-growing addiction for me that my love affair with food had begun to be my primary interest and it was narrowing down my ability to have energy to do anything else except go to work, come home and watch tv and binge., I even came home early from a vacation last year in Costa Rica because I had no energy to keep up with the activities, I felt such shame and blamed it on the heat and my (newly treated) high blood pressure, I now feel such hope and will count on this forum for my support. thank you all! warmly, sufina:tt2:

Sufina

This is the GREATEST site imho for surport and info - This is why I was banded too - went to Maztilan (sp) a couple of yrs ago - about die from the humidity and walking - I want to live life and not sleep it away anymore - and I can tell you from personal experience - i feel 10yrs younger and have so much more energy..

Good Luck on your jounery ...