Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

weight stopped dropping, on mushies, and ugh

I've made it to my two wek-mushies allowed-starting to get hungry point as of today. I had dropped 17 pounds since surgery as of Monday and then did something UBER stupid, I tried mushies early! I had a little over a quarter cup of mashed potatoes that I had (in a retarded attemp to have real food) watered down to the consistency of creamed Soup with milk. Tasted wonderful, but then 15 minutes later I was truly in the worst pain ever. It actually hurt to breath for about an hour before the food passed :lol:. When I woke up the next morning I had gained 2 pounds!!! Those two pounds have not left my body, although I have not cheated since then. I haven't gained anymore and I know that my weight will flex from day to day (and weighing myself every morning may not be the healthiest practice) but I just needed to get a GRRRR out of my system so GRRRRR and ugh. I started mushies today and managed a 1/4 c. of refried Beans with some melted cheese for Protein and that lasted until about 10:00 before I became hungry...now I'm patiently waiting for lunch so I can eat because I'm STARVING!! ok my rant is done...if anyone has any words of wisdom I'd love to hear them :biggrin:

Thanks!

I know this is probably not what you want to hear, but my weight loss has stalled for over a month now since I moved past liquids. I lost 15 lbs. during liquids, and now only 2 lbs. since then in the last month. I don't understand how I can be eating so much less than before and the weight is still so slow to come off??

That is an extremely large amount of weight to drop in such a short period of time. Remember though you are likely to drop a lot at the begining, the healthy amount to lose is 1 - 2 lbs per week. You need to put your scale away and stop weighing yourself so often. You know you will drop the weight but at this point you need to follow the eating plan as given to you by your doctor and let your body heal properly.

Are you getting all of your Water in? Are you allowed SF Jello at this state? Maybe that will help with your hunger.

Hang in there.

It is really hard but getting better. Hang in there.

Edited by windy

Unless you eat like 40 sticks of butter for dinner, or are a medical anamoly, overnight weight gain is going to be Fluid fluctuations. Mushy foods tend to be high-carb foods. Liquids tend to be low-carb. On liquids you probably were in ketosis, eating the potatoes threw you out, and the result was a bit of Fluid retention.

You're only like 2 weeks out from surgery. Don't worry about losing weight at this point, just focus on meeting nutrion needs and resting so that you can finish healing. I don't know if your surgeon was clear about this, but weight lost between surgery and restriction is a bonus, not an expectation. Most people will lose a chunk after surgery because generally you don't want to eat or drink much, or are afraid to, but you can't expect that weight to stay 100% gone when you're doing things to alter the way your body treats its fluids, and when you're gradually getting back to a more "normal" diet.

For hunger, do as many Proteins (not liquids if you can help it) as you can, as long as they fit into your food stage. Proteins make you feel full longer than carbs, fats, etc.

Rose,

I am three weeks out from surgery today and am on mushies. I have found that since the surgery carbs make me absolutely sick and give me a lot of pain. You may also be the same way. You will have to experiment with what you can eat. I've also found an aversion to the sweet stuff which is making it hard to do the Protein drinks. I've finally figured out if I put Sugar Free chocolate Syrup in my vanilla drink it cuts the sweetness alot.

I've also found that I need to eat about every 3 hours or I get very hungry. I'm averaging about 1/4 to a 1/3 cup for meal times and then I usually have a cheese stick (very chewed), a SF popsicle or Jello in between.

I know my ticker says 13.5 lbs gone but it is actually 21 lbs now (I can't get my ticker to change).

Also, don't weigh yourself every day. I was doing that and freaked when I gained 2. I waited a week and the 2 were gone plus 1.

Keep your chin up....it will get better. Try to keep in mind it is only a matter of time before you can eat "real" food. There is an end in sight.

Just to reiterate what wheetsin and Long said. I know its incredibly hard but don't concentrate on weight loss right now... concentrate on healing.

I saw any weight that prior to my first fill as a BONUS. Be patient, focus on your Protein and Water intake so you'll heal up nicely. Don't put any "weight" on what the scale says right now.

I am on my third week post-op and first week of mushies... I am getting so hungry... I still take my Protein Drinks and concentrate on Protein mushies. But I am getting worried because I am eating more than a cup of mushies a day eventhough I was only allowed one... I just cannot stand the hunger I try yo fill myself with Water or Jello but it does not help.. Do you guys think I am damaging my band? :S

thanks for all the help and support, it's nice to know that I'm not the only one out there with these kinds of concerns. I took your advice and put away the scale away for now - and will try not to break it back out until after my first fill. Mushies are going better now that I'm eating about 1/4 cup every 3 hours instead of trying the 3 meals a day thing. I'm a little less frustrated so Eureka Progress!

thanks for all the help and support, it's nice to know that I'm not the only one out there with these kinds of concerns. I took your advice and put away the scale away for now - and will try not to break it back out until after my first fill. Mushies are going better now that I'm eating about 1/4 cup every 3 hours instead of trying the 3 meals a day thing. I'm a little less frustrated so Eureka Progress!

It's good to hear you are doing better.