Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone 6 Months + Lap Band?

I would like to be in touch with people who are 6+ months from Lap Band placement. I am approaching 6 months. I have challenges, mainly around emotrional eating.

Anyone else? :biggrin:

LaRose

Hi LaRose, I've had mine about a year. I do have those same issues but remind myself that it took 30 years to gain the weight, allow the process to lose it and keep it off.

For me, I find myself from time to time emotionally eating. Not like I used to preband as I've been changing my behavior...but it still does happen.

Small steps is what I concentrate on....but I never beat myself up because I ate too much pizza or had some doritos.... everyone has life stressors and many of us turn to food. The important thing for me is to keep moving forward and progressing to a great lifestyle.

Keep us posted on your progress.

LaRose, many people here are more than 6 months out. I'm over two years, and I'm not even close to an "oldie." Just ask your questions, I'm sure you'll get feedback.

It is hard to explain. When I had the surgery, I followed the directions to the tee. I lost 17 pounds during the first two weeks. I almost starved to death. I realized that I was feeling no restriction and that I could eat anything I wanted. However, I still tried to stick to the soft foods during the second two weeks. I lost 3 pounds. I then had my first fill. I was still not restricted and lost nothing, but gained nothing, over the next month. I was given another fill and I finally began to have some restricition. I lost 12 pounds the next month but the restriction was still not keeping me from eating too much. I had another fill and now I am restricted to about 3/4 to 1 cup of solid food. However, when I start having cravings...always for sugar...I can still eat soft things such as puddings and ice cream. I have a tendency to want to binge on those foods but fight the tendency about 99% of the time. I do so by eating sugar free...which would be fine I suppose....except if you end up eating half the box, you really do not feel as though you are accomplishing what you want to accomplish. I have had to stop having things like this in the house. I have lost 8 pounds in the past 3 weeks but I am struggling. I am really having to work to stop eating before it hurts...I'm learning...however, the ice cream calls to me and it goes down very easily.

I did not think this would be this hard and I thought I would loose weight much faster than I am.

Any suggestions???

Eight pounds in three weeks sounds like a fairly fast weight loss to me. I understand you are concerned that you are eating sweets and other junk food, but I don't think your weight loss is slow my any means.

I can't keep ice cream or sweets around either. I treat myself occasionally, but make sure I buy only very small packages--the snack size with only four Cookies, or a single ice cream bar rather than a half gallon. Even if I can't stop myself from heading back to the store the next day, I still have eaten a small portion of the treat rather than binging on it.

Just about all of us are not in control of our eating. If we were, we would never have needed the band to begin with. Having the band doesn't cure the underlying problem of overeating, but provides us with a tool that helps us manage it. It occurred to me last night that I am at the point that the band will not make me lose any more weight, but will stop me from gaining it back. If I want to lose weight, I have to make a conscious effort to limit what I eat, even though the band won't let me stuff myself and gain my hard-earned losses back.

Larose. you mentioned emotional eating. Is it possible that you are feeling emotional and discouraged at this time. I get the same way. I feel like I wanted it faster and like I'm unsure if the band will work. Also, sometimes it feels like if was going to be such hard work, why didn't I just do it on my own...But be honest with yourself. Would/Could you have done it on your own. Haven't you tried many times in the past unsuccesfully?? And if I'm doing the Math correctly you've lost at least 40 lbs. And you've not gained a single ounce. And it sounds like you are making fairly good choices by going sugar-free. Just try to stay positive. And get in excersize. You will succeed...And it is nice to feel proud of the hard work and what you've accomplished..If it was too easy you may not get that gratification

Hey Larose,Iget the same kind of cravings except instead of sweets I crave steak and potatoes!All you can do is not keep any of that stuff in the house and keep thinking about why you got this surgery in the first place.I want to be fit and healthy more than I want steak! Good Luck!Hang Tough!:thumbup: