Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Newbie to the 60+ group

I'm a retired 62 year old grandmother of a 3 year old and really enjoying this stage of life. I am however, a true member of the sandwich generation. My 93 year old father and my 86 year old mother live with me and I take care of my grandson 5 days a week. Things are always hopping around here, to say the least.

I must admit that I am absolutely scared to death of the surgery. My son-in-law had it and is doing fabulously. His father had the surgery and is another success story, so why am I so frightened? But then I'm a chicken when it comes to going to the dentist, too!

My biggest issue is that two months ago I found out that I had diabetes. That REALLY scared me and I've lost 40 pounds since then. What that means is that I only have 55 more to lose, but the Doctor is still willing to do the surgery, since I was approved beforehand.

My children say, "Do it." My own feelings are mixed, because I've never been able to keep it off before, so who says that I will now? On the other hand, I never had motivation like diabetes before. I've brought my blood glucose down from nearly 300 to 93-120, on my own, with no medication. If I have that kind of focus, couldn't I lose the other 55 that way, too? But can I keep it off? You hear the ambivalence in my "voice?" I just don't know what to do.

My husband says that I should take this opportunity now, because they may not want to perform the lap band surgery on me later, because of my age. Can anyone offer some advice? I am so mixed up.

Thanks for listening.

Rachel

Hi suzpat. After having the band, the diet emphasizes Protein (which is eaten first) then veggies. Gastric bypas patients lose a lot of hair but it grows back. Banders lose a small amount but I found I lost very little at the start and have no problem now. Nothing I would worry about. Baldness does occur in women but not from the band.

Ask any question no matter how small or trivial it may seem. You must be fully informed. Pay particular attention to aftercare such as proximity of a fill nurse to your home, if you take a clinic far away, do you have the money to fly back to your clinic for band slippage, broken band, stomach erosion, etc. Picking your doctor and clinic is extremely important even if you pay a bit more, factor in the above and you probably will find it cheaper to stay closer to home. Good luck in your research

Thank you so much. You are so helpful. The 2 weeks before and after the lap band are what I worry about. Does everyone have a problem with vomiting? Have you or anyone on this site have ideas or suggestions on the letter you must have from a physician? What if they don't believe in the band?

Hi Rachel, I am new also. I am not a focused person on dieting. I keep thinking if a person can go on a liquid diet for nearly 4 weeks than why can't I do this without the band? Seems this is much stricter than any diet. I too am afraid I will fail and then go thru all of the surgery for nothing. You sure have your hands full girl! Ofcourse weight loss will be very good for your health problem and taking care of your parents. Good luck.

suzjpat. The extreme Protein no fat diet varies by doctor, weight of patient. It is maintained for a short period of time whereas a diet to lose weight takes a lifetime. Anyone can lose weight but not many of us can keep it off. This is where the band comes in. As you fall back to familiar eating patterns, the band reminds you short and quick to stop and get back on track. It is only a tool to help you maintain your smaller intake of calories not a magic wand.

As the band is a private medical issue, I am not aware that you need a letter from a doctor. However, insurance companies may so if one doctor won't refer you why not try one that will? Not everyone vomits (nice term is PBing -productive burp). I call a spade a spade it is vomiting. I vomit because I gulp my food and do not always remember to consciously chew my food or I ignore the warning signals I am full. I am getting better though as I have gone from vomiting every day to two or three times a month.

In my view, bandsters are not on a diet. We can eat anything as long as it is not more that 3oz of hard protein such as fish, chicken meat and 3-6 ozes of veggies. Many bandsters have problems eating anything white especially white bread. It seems to revert back to its doughy stage and stick in the pouch. So we eat healthier grained breads or crackers.

What I find amazing is how well I get along on so little food. I am losing weight, full of energy and my health has improved to the point I am now off most of my meds.

The pre and post op diets are hard, no question, but we have all gone thru it and I bet there are not too many who would not do it again in order to get the band.

Thank you Doddie. I am in the search stage. Afraid of what I don't know. You seem to be doing very very well. I know you are so proud of what you have achieved.

sleeping with a c-pap is not fun and thats just the beginning of health problems. I have to do something drastic or it will never happen. I wonder what food could possible fit thru the narrow opening to the stoma. If the hole is no bigger than a pencil. Wow that is small. Thanks so much for your support and information.

Susan

suzpat. Yes I am very proud and for the first time in my life I am sustaining the weight loss and the amount of food intake.

Don't dwell on the size of the opening as you will be responsible for that. Some people like the high fill level of the band but I don't. For instance my band is 10 ccs max. and I am at 5.5 ccs. I have enough restriction that tells me I am full, but the opening to the stomach is not so small that when I fail to chew every peice into watery mess, I don't vomit. Only when I forget and gulp do I have pain and then I vomit. The higher the fill level the more inclined you are to eat soft junk foods. Amazing how potato chips or cheese pops, Cookies ice cream go down so easy.

Generally, everyone is encouraged to eat hard Protein such as chicken breast, fish or meat. With these foods, you must chew everything to a fine mulch. Twelve chews is approximately the amount of times before the relex is to swallow. So if you take large bites, after 12 times it is likely large chunks will be swallowed. My clinic encourages me to take small bites and chew at least 20 times. It is a bit of a challenge for me a gulper but most time I chew properly but old habits die hard.

Although I am not dieting, I track what my intake is through FitDay - Free Weight Loss and Diet Journal I personally find that keeping track keeps me honest. For instance, this week I had potato chips while watching a movie. I did not feel guilty because I had tracked all week and my average intake was 1,200 calories a day so one day when I zoomed up to 2,000 was not going to cause a weight gain.

I am a 60 yr-old Grandma of two boys, 6 and 11. My surgery is scheduled for July 22nd! I went to my pre-op class and pre-op at the hospital today. My doctor's staff presented me with such a wealth of knowledge that I really feel confident about this surgery.

I have been on Optifast for a week and will continue that until sugery. I started it last Tuesday and have lost 14 lbs already! I treated myself to a half of a sandwich and a few french fries today for lunch to celebrate!

I will have about 140-130 lbs to lose, so I am very anxious to be banded. I really haven't had any hungar pains and the shakes are pretty good. I discovered DaVinci sugar-free syrups from someone here and they are great flavor enhancers.

Glad to see some other people in their 60's here!:biggrin:

I read the same thing about Hair loss. Would appreciate an answer from someone who has been through Lapband. My hair is very long and I would hate the thought of losing it.

Hi: I am 65 and I got my band in Feb. 07. I had very little Hair loss but have had contact with people who have had more. Initially your diet is restricted but after the 4 to 6 week time period to heal after surgery, healthy meals and vit. supplements are recommended your hair should return to normal. I can't recall anyone posting they lost their hair in chunks and had to wear a wig due to the band. I would suggest looking through the links of this website and see if there is a link on hair loss.

Doddie what happens when you get a cold and have a lot of coughing? You are so helpful! I am at 238 lbs. right now. I think probable 90-100 lbs. for me.

Oh by the way, you live in country I hope to visit someday!

Susan

Hi: There is no problem whatsoever with coughing. I had bronchitis this spring with no problem with the band. In fact, I don't even know I h ave the band around my stomach unless I forget to chew my food, then it reminds me in a big hurry.

Most people do not have trouble with their band but there are complications that can occur. Band slippage can usually be fixed by defilling and allowing the band to recover and go back in place, or the surgeon can go in and put the band back in place. The most serious complication is band erosion. That usually means the band has to be removed until your stomach heals then another band put on or the surgeon may tell you that the band cannot be put on.

The band has been used over 20 years in Europe and Australia is recognized by the medical profession. It is just relatively new in Canada and the USA. The vast majority of patients have no problem with the band but like all surgical intervention there are risks. The beauty of the band is ........it is totally reversible with no lasting affects. Not like the gastric bypass where there are malabsorption problems, Hair loss, etc. But I am not putting the bypass down just to compare one is reversible and the other is not.

Just an add on. I hope you can visit Canada also. I think you would like it up here. I have travelled all of the states and totally love the country and all the people I have met and feel Canada and the USA are so similar you will enjoy us.

This is not related to Lapband itself, but I am trying to get a ticker from tickerfactory .com. I have put in all the information, but when it comes to copy and pasting I can't seem to get it. Where do I go on the Lapband sight to do this, and which of the 3 addresses do I use. Thanks---

In the General Discussion FAQ thread there is a picture tutorial on the ticker. Just type "ticker" in the search box.