Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have just begun my journey. I have an appointment with the surgeon on April 19th and getting a little discouraged. A friend on mine had the lap band surgery and is doing well and has the same insurance that I have but since her surgery the doctors have seemed to changed their procedure....so I have to have a psych exam and attend on support group meeting. The support group meeting I have to pay for and I am in search of a psychiatrist who will accept my insurance. To be honest.......I have health care insurance and resent the fact that the psch dr. that the surgerons office referred me to wanted the $$$$ up front and they would bill my insurance. Anyone disgusted with all of the preparation????

I am also having second thoughts about the lap band even though I need to so something because I am 325 lbs.

Could use some advice...support.

Maria

Maria, the best advice is to simply hang in there and don't get discouraged. I had two types of insurance, and neither covered the Band. I had to pay myself. But it's damn worth the wait if your insurance will cover it in the end. I know that's not saying much, but be really thankful that insurance is taking care of the big part.

Meanwhile, be double happy because the initial surgery is only part of the battle. The Band can be (often is) a very high maintenance tool that requires a lot of follow up visits. I had a list of complications, so in addition to the credit card I used for the initial surgery, I've racked up thousands in after care charges. What I'm saying is just take your time and jump through any hoops the insurance company tells you to, because in the end you'll have a paid-for band, and it will be great.

Meanwhile, I think people give too much thought to the psyche exam. I personally don't know anyone that didn't pass it except for one alcoholic. As far as paying up front, it's just part of the process. Think of it as money well-invested. I had to change my way of thinking in the money department when shopping for the band. I didn't think twice of spending $15.00 at Taco Bell. I was spending $20 a day for lunch and dinner fast foods and restaurants. Loading up the shopping cart with useless expensive crap. That comes to more than $5,000 a year. And I'm left flat-broke after all my complications, but I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

Sorry if I chose the wrong words - I mean it with all the love & support in my heart. Be patient, good things are coming your way.

Welcome Maria. I had a long journey. I started my consults back in July. I too had to go for a psych eval at the tune of $250 which was not covered by my insurance. Finally after many other doctor visits my insurance was approved in January. So you see, good things come to those that wait. I am having my surgery on March 30. Good luck to you and hang in there.

Hi Maria,

Believe me, what you're in the middle of is by no means unusual. Lisa is right on about the psych exam--and not only will your surgeon require it but your insurance carrier does too. It's not a big thing at all, but really can save heartache down the line.

While it would certainly be nice to find one who participates in your insurance network, you want a therapist who is really educated and experienced in the issues surrounding bariatric surgery. That's why your surgeon works with someone specific, and I really suggest you try to see that person. The expense is well worth it, especially if you have a plan with out-of-network benefits and the cost can be applied to your deductible. I have an HMO and so had to swallow the cost of the psych eval, but altogether my surgery came to less than $500 with that included so I'm not complaining.

But I do think it's not right that your doc's office charges for support-group meetings. There are very good reasons for attending them, absolutely, but they shouldn't cost more than a token amount if anything (like a coffee contribution, or something). Have you looked at other surgeons? I know my doc's office has monthly support meetings and there is no charge at all.

You ask if anyone has been disgusted with all the preparation. I have to say no, I never was. Preparing for this surgery was the best medical care I ever gave myself, and the operation just topped it off. And this comes from someone who started the process a full year before actually having surgery. It's certainly frustrating at times--we ALL feel that--but everything your doctor is asking you to do has a reason. All the preop testing is to make sure you're as healthy as you can be before undertaking this big step. People have had hernias, cardiac conditions, ulcers and lots of other things discovered during the preop testing, and it's ALWAYS better to find that stuff beforehand.

Stay strong, Marie. You're not alone by any means and as Lisa says, good things are coming your way. Let me know if you are interested in coming to our support group--there's a meeting next week and patients from anywhere are welcome!

Maria, I had the same thing happen during my pre-ops. My insurance was willing to cover everything but for some reason the one doctor wanted psych fees up front (???). So I went with my plan B (another hospital) which put everything under my insurance coverage. I guess it just depends where you go to have it done.

By the way, my plan B was the perfect choice as I had a very beautiful experience from start to finish. (Are you from the Chicago area?)

Alex, if you are close to Hackensack you could do a driveby the Momster's house in Wallington & see why I'm "the way I am" to put it mildly! My family is in Passaic, Garfield, Clifton, etc., 12 miles from Manhattan.

Maria, my doc's office is in Florham Park and that's where the meetings are. It's pretty convenient to Routes 80/287/24. PM me and I'll give you directions if you want. We'd love to have you!

Hmmm, a visit to the Mom of DeLarla? Sounds like an entertaining way to spend an afternoon! ;)

Hello Maria,

I had mine done at NYU Medical Center by Dr. Ren. They have free support groups and now they have just started psychotherapy "group" sessions on Monday night for only $25/session. The first meeting is April 4th and there are 4 of us signed up so far- all with the lap band.

Also, with Dr. Ren, I has to see her psychologist at $250 (no insurance) and the nutritionist at $250 (no coverage). But insurance did cover the operation and at $20,000, I am grateful they did that!

I support the band. All other diets (Weight Watchers, Atkins, etc) have a 95% failure. Most are successful with the band! It's not easy, but we're here to help

Thanks for all of your support. I made my psych appointment for 4/5 and I have to pay $175 up front but they will fill out the forms for my insurance so I will keep my fingers crossed that it is covered. I have my surgeon appointment on 4/19 and will make my final decision and have the dr. file the papers for my insurance for approval. A friend of a friend had her surgery done by this dr. and the insurance paid for it so I am keeping my fingers crossed on that issue also. I have made my decision to have the surgery because at this point I do not see any other way to resolve my problem. Eating large portions is my major problem and the lap band seems to be just what

I need. I also am required to attend one support group meeting before the surgery which is scheduled for 4/21 where they explain how much your life will change as far as eating, excercise, etc. It is also recommended that you attend meetings after the surgery so that your body adjusts and mind adjusts to the weight loss. So I do have a lot of positives and am excited and a bit nervous about the surgery. Like who wants to have surgery? Anyway, I am also glad I found this site because everyone here is extremely supportive and I know I will need that after surgery. So THANKS so much for being here.

Maria

Keep your chin up and things will get better. Making the final decision to have the band is the first BIG step. It is work and that is something some people just don't realize even being banded. It is a tool to help you lose the weight. As I come up on my one year anniversary I realize I have NOT been working with my band. I have been fighting it so I have to rethink my journey.

You will get there. It is well worth the weight (pun intended).