Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Nutritionist & Psych Eval tomorrow

Hi Everyone, I am in the process of getting approved for the band. I am a little scared, excited and impatient. I have my Nut & Psych Eval tomorrow and hope everything will go well. Get to see the doc next week again to talk about my bloodwork and where we are in regards to approval(tricare). The Doc's office have been great and really helpful. I am so happy to have found this forum, it has been so helpful and full of great info. :unsure:

It looks like you are moving right along and getting very close to your date. I know what you mean about being impatient. I had my nut appointment almost two weeks ago and am waiting for the doctor's letter to approve me to move forward or not. The wait is driving me crazy.

Good luck to you!

Things went really well today, both the nut & psych said they appreciated me being truthful with my answers, they said they saw no problem with me getting the band and if I needed any help to contact them since they were there to answer any questions. Everyone I have been involved with in this process has been super great. I see the doc on thurs and then wait for surgery approval & date. I was quite nervous about whether or not I am strong enough (mentally) to do this, the psych really helped me with that, I feel better and more confident. I am sure as I get further into the process I will be posting more to get more support from everyone. I love this forum. Thanks everyone!!!

Wow! They are really moving fast for you! Glad things went well for you and you are feeling reassured. Keep us posted on how things are progressing. Good luck!

I am so happy that things are moving so quickly for you Milo. That is so exciting.

For me. I went to the seminar 3/26. There I found out that they did not accept my type of insurance, so now I am in the process of switching to another carrier - thank God I have that option! It takes about 30-45 days.

I am so excited about getting the band that I am now eating even more and gaining weight, which is causing me to become depressed.

My doc does not require us to lose weight prior to surgery. He says that we have all been on diets and lost weight before, so he says it is unnecessary. I think I am going to put myself on a diet, becuase I am at my highest weight. UUUUGGGGGHHHHH. I need the band now more than ever!

I am battling the exact same thing. For me I'm totally "justifying" what I'm eating because it "might be the last time" I can eat french fries or a hamburger or whatever! I'm getting kinda depressed about it because once again I'm reminded how little control I seem to have over myself. I keep thinking ... well, in a few weeks it's liquid chicken through a straw so have at it girlfriend! How twisted is that?

I have a psych evaluation on Monday. What are they looking for?

For me I had gotten a 10 page questionare at the seminar to give to the nutritionist and they asked what diets I had been on, when, how much I had lost on each, which one did I like the best, what I think of my body, do I like my body, once I lose the weight how do I think my life will change, how will I be happier, what is my diet like now, what support systems do I have. Basically I thinks she wanted to see what I have done in the past, where am I at now so that she knows how to counsel me. She then gave me a pre surg diet, weeks 1-4 diet and then I am to see her again at week 4 for more counsel. I really liked her a lot. Pre-surg diet is like a weight watchers diet.

The psych asked me about my past, parent relationships, any physical, sexual abuse, any depression, how is my marriage, do I stress eat. I answered truthfully to everything, I have depression in my family, I had post partum depression, and DO stress, boredom, holiday and celebritory EAT!! She was really great too, says thin, fat, medium basically everyone stess eats, gave me an exercise to do when I really feel I WANT to eat something I shouldn't and said I should do fine once I am banded.

The exercise is basically, it take 20 minutes for the impulse of "WANTING to eat something" to go away, she said to remove myself from the bad food area, occupy my time, meditate, walk, sit quietly and as I become more aware of my thoughts I will be able to control my impulses better and in less time.

whew, sorry for the long post

Good Luck on Monday!

Both of my evals were great. I absolutely loved the psychotherapist. She had actually been banded by my surgeon 18 months ago so she totally understood my struggles. She asked me about my family support. She told me about her experience with the band and before. She asked if there was anything I was worried about. I told her my worries. She gave me some pointers and that was that. She sent over the approval letter the next day. She was great.

I really liked my nut as well. She was very helpful and nice. She told me all about the diet I would need to follow after being banded. She let me try some samples of Protein drinks and gave me samples of Vitamins, etc. She gave me my recommended Protein intake. She told me where I could purchase the products she told me about. She gave me a list of foods and their nutritional content. She was just a wealth of info.

Both of these ladies made me feel comfortable and very relaxed. All in all, it has been a very positive experience.

My girlfriend just had her evaluation and she said her impression was they were looking for bulemia & serious issues like that. Since she doesn't have those types of issues she thought it was useless and expensive $200 spent. It obviously depends on who you have. It sounded like yours was fantastic. She sounds passionate about wanting you to succeed! To me it seems like just one more piece falling into place for you. YEA FOR YOU!!!