Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Unfilled LapBand Vs. No Lapband at all....What's the Difference ?

Is there a difference between Unfilled and no Band ?  

2 members have voted

1. 1. Is there a difference between Unfilled and no Band ?

• There is no difference at all. Can't even tell its there.
    • I feel it is there, but there is no restriction
    • I feel a slight restriction even when it is unfilled.

Didn't realize this was posted a while ago......

Can anyone else out there tell us if you feel the same to be completely unfilled as you did without any band at all.

My band had a leak and I had no fill (obviously). As long as I chewed well, I could eat a large quantity, but there was a limit and I would get full on less than I used to pre-band for sure.

For the first 7 months of being banded I was very careful to chew my food well so I rarely got stuck. After I found out my band had a leak, I figured I wouldn't have to chew as much, boy was I wrong! I ate a piece of corned beef, I chewed, but not as well as I normally do and I was really stuck and I spent the next few hours trying to PB and I was making it worse by trying because I would keep making the stoma swell. I got to the point where even warm liquids wouldn't go down. I just had to stop eating/drinking for a few hours to let the swelling go down.

I learned the hard way that even without a fill, the band was still there.

Edited by RedTulips3

Stomach capacity is less, with an unfilled band, than it is with no band. But gastric emptying occurs at almost the same rate as preop.

So, I got full more rapidly, and with FAR less food...but was hungry again very rapidly.

I had my band removed a month ago. The difference between a filled band unfilled band and no band is almost nonexistent to me. I still have some restriction even without my band ( ie my bagel getting stuck the other day) because my stomach has changed shape I guess. I have talked with 3 bariatric doctors from 3 different countries about this and they said it is a common "complaint" from patients who had their band removed. Since having my band removed I have not gained weight. I find it difficult to still eat certain foods which I am not complaining. Just letting you all know that even without the band you can not eat like you did before unless you want it to be a very uncomfortable experience. I am not pushing my luck. I don't need that bad junk crap food so I am not going to eat it :unsure:

How is the band viewed in South Korea? I've never seen anyone from there post before. It's still seen as some sort of cheat here as all you really have to do is eat less and exercise more.

How is the band viewed in South Korea? I've never seen anyone from there post before. It's still seen as some sort of cheat here as all you really have to do is eat less and exercise more.

People in Korea are very open with their weight. Everyone knows how much all the celebrities weigh etc. When I told my co teachers ( one at each school I work at incase somehthing went wrong) they were both supportive because it meant i would lose weight and so as long as your losing weight the surgery isnt seen as being a bad thing.

One of my co teachers even wanted more info to give to her sister who she thinks should lose weight. My other co teacher wanted to get the surgery herself but of course it is not affordable for some people. I havent told any other Koreans in Korea but the idea of the lapband surgery is not that bad. I don't believe people see it as a cheat.

I do know some see it as a magical tool ( the ones getting banded) and expect to lose all their weight very fast. Some patients dont really exercise either I think. The issue is not seeing the band as a cheat in Korea, the issue here is really trying to get people to understand you won't lose the weight over night.

I was banded Oct 09,my band was not filled when placed. I ve had really good restriction for the first 4 months, and lost a good amount of weight.Now however I am feeling the hunger increase and planned on getting my first fill a week ago.During the procedure it was found that my port had been twisted and must be replaced before I can get a fill because it might cause a leak as is. Its a simple outpatient proceedure the port is just under your skin. I ll be out in about an hour. As far as fills go My Dr tells me that a small precentage of lap band patient never need a fill. Just the application of band provides enough .

None of the answers really quite fit for me.

I didn't feel restriction until after my third fill.

But my stomach capacity was reduced immediately.

The problem was that the upper pouch emptied into the lower part of my stomach very rapidly, so my hunger was not abated for long.

I've had one fill so far and am due for my 2nd one tomorrow. So far I have zero restriction from the band. In fact, I'm physically aware of the band only because of an unresolved issue with my port sticking out and rubbing against my rib cage causing constant pain and discomfort.

My appetite is strong and I can eat pretty much anything if I choose to, but am not doing so. I've lost a fair amount of weight, but it's a result of diet, exercise and will power at this point rather than the band.

Edited by Katy517