Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

how have people handled the negativity from others towards the lap band?

When I first told my family and a couple close friends I was interested in the lap band procedure back in september, The reactions I got were mostly negative. Everyone said that I could just do it on my own and that having something in me was WAY too drastic. So now that I actually am going through with everything, my biggest concern is how to tell people. The only people that know are the two supportive friends I told back in September. I still have to tell my parents. I'm going to talk to my mom about it this weekend. At least I know I will always have the support of LBT!!!! :bolt: Wishing everyone good luck!

Allison

If just not a good idea to smart of to those who are suppose to take care of you through any type of surgical procedure. Nor does it give them cart blanc to say what ever they want. Like the old saying- two wrongs don't make a right (just my view).

In this case, I prefer the old saying "an eye or an eye". But each person has their own opinion.

A nurse, as a caregiver and in the medical field should definitely have know better than to make that offensive comment. I would have totally snapped back, had I been quick enough to think of that response, I would have used it too.

Edited by shortgal

Oh yeah and by the way... amamastime, that was a GREAT response. What an a**hole!!!! Thats no way a medical professional should have behaved, and you have every right to defend yourself!!! Good for you.

and Laura P, thats a great way to think about all this. I didn't want to tell people at first, now I don't think I have to. Haha if you have an IUD and someone asks you why you're not pregnant then maybe I would tell them, haha. So I guess if someone asks me how I'm loosing weight I would tell them, but only if they are close to me

Allison

I did not even tell my grown children, until the surgery was done. My husband was the only one that knew. I just didn't want everyone's opinion about why I should or shouldn't have the surgery.

Now that it's done, I have told some of my family and friends. I will decide what to say as comments about my weight loss from others, not as close to me, might make. I don't feel I owe people that don't know me well, any explanation, but others I just say "thanks, I had lap band surgery".

It's all still new now, but in a few years it won't even be discussed or be an issue. Like cancer gone into remission.

I will admit my worst negative lapband experience happened last week. I know I could of handled it better- but I was going in for an outpatient surgery and wasn't exactly in a good frame of mind when it happened. I had a male nurse tell me flat out after reading my chart "what you can't go pound the pavement?" (with plenty of negative tone to his voice). My reply (classic bitch mode) "well duh! it wasn't working... what you couldn't simply go to medical school to be doctor?". Like I said, I could of handled it better. It just rubbed me wrong. Needless to say, he wasn't my nurse anymore and I ended up with a lovely lady who had under gone a gastric bypass.

Sorry, I just had to share and get it off my chest.

I totally had a similar situation, but at the hospital FOR MY LAPBAND! One of my doctors (part of the 'team' that would be in the room with my actual doctor) had the ba$$ to check in on me before surgery and ask "Well have you ever actually tried to diet and exercise?" Honestly, I wish I could have come up with something like you did (I'm not nearly that quick lol) but I literally laughed in his face because it was so ridiculous and finally chocked out an "Of course"... I mean what did he expect me to say? Like I was going to be like, "OH, is THAT what I should try? Let me take these tubes outta my arm and put my clothes back on!"