Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I win....Stupidest Question of All Time!

How do you tell when you're hungry?

I'm serious.......how do you separate true hunger from anything else?

My stomach growls all the time.....I know that's not hunger. I kind of picture it like my big stomach trying to talk my little stomach in to giving something up.....I don't trust my big stomach at all.

Sometimes I know it's thirst.....and a drink of Water, propel, or crystal light takes care of it......

But really........as ridiculous as it sounds.....what is true hunger?

Not a stupid question, but it is a hard one to answer for you.

No, the stupidest question of all time was asked in my Lamaze class years ago. We were talking about how 10 cm dilation meant the baby was ready to be born, and one of the fathers to be asked why the size of your pupils in your eyes indicated the baby was coming. I thought my husband was going to die; he was literally rolling on the floor, since we were sitting on it anyway.

Since I keep saying I don't really feel hunger pangs, it isn't a stupid question. Some people say they are ravenous and their stomach hurts. I never feel that way. Sometimes I just feel an emptiness and discomfort, and sometimes I get a headache that indicates hunger to me. When I ate a lot of sugar I would get big time hunger pangs, but I don't now.

Not a dumb question at all. I wonder myself. I never get growls or rumbles that I can hear. I do get a gnawing uncomfortable feeling and tha't what I call hunger.

It is not a stupid question at all. I had to ask myself that before. For me if my stomach is just growlling most time I just need some Water and that take care of it. But if I feel empty or somewhat faint, hunger headache with the growlling I know more is needed (FOOD)... This is how I measure my hunger.

I hope this helps.

Banded 12/17/07-Birmingham,AL (Dr. Dewitt)

244.5S/214.5C/165G

No, the stupidest question of all time was asked in my Lamaze class years ago. We were talking about how 10 cm dilation meant the baby was ready to be born, and one of the fathers to be asked why the size of your pupils in your eyes indicated the baby was coming. I thought my husband was going to die; he was literally rolling on the floor, since we were sitting on it anyway.

Since I keep saying I don't really feel hunger pangs, it isn't a stupid question. Some people say they are ravenous and their stomach hurts. I never feel that way. Sometimes I just feel an emptiness and discomfort, and sometimes I get a headache that indicates hunger to me. When I ate a lot of sugar I would get big time hunger pangs, but I don't now.

OMG!

Okay, I surrender the crown........LOL!

Not a dumb question! :wink_smile: The book I'm reading actually just talks about this. They say that you have to listen to your body to determine when you are actually hungry and not just thirsty, bored, etc. Sorry I can't give you an exact answer! When I'm really starving I usually get a headache, but I don't wait for that to happen very often. :) I'd just say...if you think you're hungry, drink some Water. If that doesn't satisfy you and you have other symptoms, then you must be hungry.

I'm thinking we should have a button.....like a turkey timer....when it pops out, time to eat.....

or a fuel gauge....if they can make them for cars....why not people?

Hmmmmmmm.....need to get to work on that!

The closer I get to needing a fill, the hungrier I get. But, when I'm restricted, I don't get hungry until I'm eating. With good restriction, I'm more likely to say, "Oh, it's 2:00pm and I haven't eaten today...Huh," than "I'm starving!!!"

But, I have to be careful. If I'm not feeling hungry, and don't eat, when I do sit down to eat and realize I'm hungry, I'll scarf it down. Not fun!

So, I guess my suggestion is to pay attention.

If you're feeling hungry ask: Have you eaten enough Protein? Have you eaten things that would "slide" through the band and prevent you from feeling full?)

I just have to stop and question myself when I'm "hungry". Also, the types of food I'm "hungry" for help me figure out if it's head or stomach hunger.

My tummy doesn't want the ice cream. My brain does.

and

My brain doesn't want the chicken from a can (unless it has the yummy spinach dip mixed in it). My tummy does.

It's not a stupid question! And it's certainly not the stupidest of all time, believe me.

I think this is a hard question to answer because it's different for everyone. It's difficult for me because I am an emotional eater and used to eating on a schedule (you know, it's noon so I should eat lunch whether or not I'm hungry). And sometimes my belly growls, or rumbles, when it's just, um, processing.

If I think I might be hungry, I stop whatever I'm doing and ask myself a series of questions. Do I have a hollow, empty sort of feeling in my belly? Am I stressed, upset, bored? Does drinking Water or doing something else make it go away? Am I smelling, reading or thinking about food and that's what's making me want it? How long has it been since I last ate? Is it reasonable that I'd be hungry right now?

Also, if I get really hungry, I get a headache or slight nausea.

It will probably just take you time to recognize what your body does when you're hungry. :wink_smile:

How sad is it that I don't think I've ever been hungry?

GEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ, no wonder I weighed 252!

Or full! I've never understood what full felt like until the band. I read there are clues to feeling full like your nose will start to run, or you'll get the hiccups - well that's always happened to me! Now it doesn't. I thought I had some food allergies. :wink_smile: I was just really full and didn't know it.

:wink_smile::lol::)

My surgeon says that I should eat something about every four hours. It doesn't have to be a lot, but just enough to take the edge off. For me, that works out to Breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snack. My stomach growls like a BEAR from about 11 am to noon. It is really pretty amusing. It doesn't seem like "hunger" to me. I always think of it as proof that fat calories were being burned from my waist and hips because the old pink pantry is empty. I like your analogy of the big stomach talking to the little stomach. The big stomach is NOT to be trusted. :huh2:)