Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help recently banded and HUNGRY!!!!!!

I was banded on March 27, 08. I have gone 4 days on broth and Water until I could not take it anymore. Being the cook in the family I had to sample what I was cooking and one thing lead to another. I didn't think I would be able to ingest anything and to my suprise I was able to eat a whole chicken thigh. How is this possible I thought the band was suppose to prevent this. HELP:eek:

could someone let me know if it's going to get better and how do I prevent future mishaps?

Even though you are able to eat the chicken you should not do this. You must give your body time to heal. Get some Protein drinks and that will help. It is much too soon for solid food. Follow your doctors orders or you could hurt the band. It takes time for it heal and the stitches around the band take. You do not want to risk slipping your band. This could be dangerous and you could lose your band. The post-diet is not to speed up weight loss but to help your body heal.

Review the list on the liquid diet and try more than just chicken broth and Water.

Yes, the liquids & mushies are to help you heal after surgery. Don't jeopardize your band by eating solids so soon. ;)

As far as the band "preventing" you from eating a whole chicken thigh -- the band needs fill in it before you have restriction. Once you are healed up (4-6 weeks) you will probably have an appt for a fill. Depends on the surgeon you used. Some have a set schedule, others don't.

Keep in mind - between the time you heal and the time you get filled, you are probably going to be hungry and able to eat anything. It's called "bandster hell". Don't do it! Stick to your docs orders on the amount and type of food you should be eating, regardless of how much you "can" eat at a time. I know, harder said than done. But avoid sugar and other high-glycemic index foods and it'll be easier. And even if you end up eating 6 oz of chicken at a time instead of the suggested 3 oz, that's still way better than snorking down a bag of potato chips and a pint of ice cream. :thumbup:

Good luck!! And congrats on getting banded, it's a whole new adventure.

:blush:

Hello my name is Sherri I had my surgery April 7, 2008. the day before the surgery was painful, not the not eating or the liquid diet, but the server headache I had I think from lack of caffeine, the surgery went well I didn’t have much pain, only around the port area and that lasted for 3 weeks, I used the pain meds until I realized that I was having hunger pains and the meds covered that... I could stay on the liquid diet.. so I moved to more solid food that gave me some pain at times but Jell-O and pudding would not take the pain away..I have had one fill but that didn’t make much difference so far and the next fill is late June... when I wake up I am hungry like anyone after going that long with out eating so I have Breakfast 7 am go to work and by noon my stomach is growling so much then I have lunch, but at 300pm ish I get a sharp pain in my chest that settles into the worst hunger pain I have ever had...Why??

I have been over weight all my life and have starved myself before...

I am and found out I am addicted to food....

Any one else had these issues?