Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Under 30 Spoiled Brats!!

Haha. Too funny Terry!

Well, I think at 24 I still saw both sides. I remember Microfish (but I thought it was spelled like that!), and using them. I remember card catalogues in the library.. and I absolutely hated looking for a book. I remember our TV was black & white and only had 4 channels until I was 7.

I taped things off the radio all the time, the most memorable was Rage Against the Machine when I was 13. My parents wouldn't buy me blank tapes, so I would take their bought tapes and learned to put clear tape over the holes on the bottom so I could over-write it.. ho hum.

I had pen pals, I wrote lots of letters to family members that don't live here.

..Just sayin!

I'm right there with Laura, I remember some of that stuff too and taped songs off the radio onto cassette tapes.

Now Over 30 Crowd - let's look at the other side of that coin for a second shall we?

When you were a kid/younger did you or your parents have to worry about:

-You walking by yourself to school and not having some pervert or pedofile, etc abduct/assault you?

-Going out to a club (or whatever you want to call it) and someone spiking your drink when you weren't looking with the date rape drug?

-How you are going to get a good job without investing years and tonnes of money into an education because the market is so competitive these days if you don't have a great post secondary education you're screwed.

-Comfortably and safely going anywhere by yourself after dark.

-Not having to lock your doors and windows.

-School shootings or violence in schools (to the degree it is now).

-Metal detectors in big city schools

-DANGEROUS drugs being introduced to kids/teens at a young age (not talking pot here folks).

And those are just the tip of the iceberg that popped into my head.

Now I know the post was meant to be "a funny" but I just thought I would turn it around and add a bit of other perspective... while you may not have had computers, videogames, caller id, cell phones or caller ID ...

I am 39 and man does this bring back memories. I remember changing the channel for my dad.

No call waiting was a pain. We used to make emergency break throughs when we had a crisis, you know like I heard jimmy likes susie.

I remember sitting by my boom box all day waiting to record songs. Let's not forget mix tapes for that someone special.

For me cable TV was all about MTV back when it was all videos all day, at least until midnight when it went off the air.

I remember playing outside with my friends instead of sitting in front of the computer IM'ing them. If they weren't home when you called there was no anwering machine so they missed out on the fun.

I remember when we got our first microwave when I was 10 and that thing was huge and still worked until we gave it away 6 years ago. I still have the first VCR we bought but of course I don't use it.

I'm right there with Laura, I remember some of that stuff too and taped songs off the radio onto cassette tapes.

Now Over 30 Crowd - let's look at the other side of that coin for a second shall we?

When you were a kid/younger did you or your parents have to worry about:

-You walking by yourself to school and not having some pervert or pedofile, etc abduct/assault you?

-Going out to a club (or whatever you want to call it) and someone spiking your drink when you weren't looking with the date rape drug?

-How you are going to get a good job without investing years and tonnes of money into an education because the market is so competitive these days if you don't have a great post secondary education you're screwed.

-Comfortably and safely going anywhere by yourself after dark.

-Not having to lock your doors and windows.

-School shootings or violence in schools (to the degree it is now).

-Metal detectors in big city schools

-DANGEROUS drugs being introduced to kids/teens at a young age (not talking pot here folks).

And those are just the tip of the iceberg that popped into my head.

Now I know the post was meant to be "a funny" but I just thought I would turn it around and add a bit of other perspective... while you may not have had computers, videogames, caller id, cell phones or caller ID ...

Ang,

I know you're trying to make a point...I get it. I graduated from HS in 1986, I'm going to be 40 in two weeks. But I want to take what you are saying seriously, but also let you know we've been sliding to where we are for well over twenty years.

I was terrified walking by myself after at dusk or after dark because already in the 80's girls were programed with that necessary fear.

The pervs were out there and as a little girl I was told not to talk to strangers/and run away from cars that stopped to ask me for directions. I think we just talk about them more now than ever.

Drugs were bad-ish. Mostly pills, Drinking was extreme and if you were a good girl all you did was screw your boyfriend silly. Herpes was rampent and HIV/AIDs hit my radar as a senior in HS.

True Dat about college, but we were told that a high school diploma wasn't going to get us far. It just took a few years for what the old people had to say to really manifest.

School violence is frightening today in ways unimaginable. That point you win hands down.

I have a 6 year old daughter and if I let myself I can get worried sick about what she will face. I try to see that most people are good and technology is just help, but yeah, the monsters in the closets are much more real and do far greater damage than what I knew as a child.

But every generation thinks their music was the best, they struggled the hardest and most importantly they believe that they invented sex. LOL.

Hope I didn't offend, I just wanted to chat it up a little.

Juli, Oh gosh no, no offense taken! :wink_smile: And I do realize that they aren't issues that have popped up overnight.

It is crazy to think how scary the world is becoming though and I can't even imagine what it will be like when I'm staring down the face of my own kids in the future having all those same worries that all you moms have.

And wishing you an early Happy Birthday! :)

I remember we got an Atari...I was in Heaven!

And we also had the laser disk player before the VCR, where you had to flip it during the middle of the movie.

And, I never called a friend to see if they were home or could play - I walked over. I was out from morning until night. "When the street lights come on" my mom used to say.

Car games!! We played "I Spy", Padiddle, License Plate Alphabet and my Dad would give us spelling tests...all to pass the time!!! LOL

Anyone remember Q-bert?

Q-bert? Rings a tiny bell, but....no.

We had the hand held simon-says game passed down from my aunt from when she was a kid.. it was black with 4 colored buttons on top. We also played car bingo, and wal-mart had a whole collection of little packs of car games (like the bingo), I remember all that. I also remember when we were young and my parents finally got a van WITH A TV IN IT!! This was before the cool technology, it was a BIG normal bulky tv, installed into a shelf in the top of the van.. but it had no cable or stations, you had to watch VHS on it. All we had were Looney Tunes Babies, whatever that movie was. So we watched that over and over and over on every trip. And the table that assembled in the van, a pole & round wood table top you put together between the seats.. ahh.. good times.

But every generation thinks their music was the best, they struggled the hardest and most importantly they believe that they invented sex. LOL.

Ooooookay, I was going to keep my mouth shut, but now you've just offended tooooo many people with this one missy! Juuuuuuuuust kidding.

I was born in 84 and I'm not going to lie to you, I have YET to hear a halfway decent song that came out from 1980 to 1996ish. Crappy fashion, crappy music, crappy lyrics...come on.

So, in conclusion, my generation's music sucked. Ohhhhh yeah. Eeeeevery other generation had better music than mine.

Oh yeah, and most of those points at the beginning were my life story! Trying to tell me that I don't know crap! ha! Old fogies... mmmph. :smile:

I had Q-Bert on my Atari. I sucked at it.

I loved Simon. And we had another one called "Qwiz" or something like that. Some kind of trivia game.

Ok, this is a little more modern than Q-Bert, but still a childhood thing. When I have "remember when" conversations with friends no one ever remembers these, but I had tons of them, I *think* they were popular, and you could get some pretty popular names so it couldn't have been that rare of a thing... ok so what is it? Here's my best description:

Oversized books that were held together with plastic bindings. The books were illutrated normally, but had no words. Instead, each page had a "record" attached to it, and you had this little handheld record player you would put on the record, push the button, and it would read the page to you. Only the "records" were small - like the size of a coaster at the most, and usually brightly colored to match whatever colors were in the book. And the record player was small too, maybe the size of a large computer mouse but a much more boxey shape... but something you could easily handle as a kid. I remember I had a few Dr. Seuss books like this, some Barbie stories, but I don't remember what all else. I had about 20 or 30 of them, so they must have been around a while.

Does ANYONE else remember these, or more specifically what they were called?

I want to call them read alongs. I know exactly what you are talking about. I do, I do!

Guest Leslie2Lose

I'm 31 - like most everyone else we had one T.V. - a CONSOLE with a dial tuner. If the president was one we were screwed! I remember our first VCR - the tape popped out of the top of it (my parents STILL have it), it came with a remote that had a cord attached that had to be at least a football field long. Oh and the cars - Seatbelts? My mom's arm was the seatbelt. It's funny, she still puts her arm out to me in the passenger seat. I look at her and tell her mom, I'm past that age and look I have on a seatbelt. She laughts and says it is a lifelong habit. We had an Atari (usually for cold and rainy days - we weren't addicted and were limited), but when we did get to play I loved Kaboom and Pitfall! But most of all it was outdoors - I lived outdoors. Kids now-a-days have no idea what it is to play outdoors unless it is at a park. We had to invent our own games...usually bicycle jumping was involved - but hey the Dukes of Hazzard was "IT" back then! I hate it when my kids say, "Mom, I'm bored"....that is like nails to a chalkboard for me...I of course go into the rant of - "you have no idea what bored is!". I'm worried for their generation. All they have ever know is FAST food and have you noticed the JUNK FOOD at the grocery stores...the produce section looks mighty small. Exercise? Please, the majority (not all) of them are sitting on their rumps in front of the computer or playing video games! I do make my kids watch what they eat and send them outside (I ignore the mom it is hot and I am bored - just tell them to deal with it and play in the waterhose or ride your bike - yes they love them)...if our generation has a weight issue, where are our children going to be at our ages?

All this talk about antique video games is cracking me up. The first video game we owned was Atari (Pong & Frogger) and my HUSBAND (yes I was 30!) and I would play a round or two before bed every night. No wonder I didn't have kids 'til I was 32!

THAT explains it Terry!!!! I grew up with NO video games....so was forced to play with a boyfriend, got married at 17, and had a baby at 21. Atari would have been MUCH cheaper.

My........that 'splains a lot!!!!

Kat