Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Recipes and good post banding foods

hi all,

I'm still on clear fluids so recipes are really a way off for me, but pre my operation I was an avid cook, I love cooking and having friends over for big dinners and BBQ's. I love international foods such as Italian, Greek, Thai, most Asian actually.

And I am interested to see how we can still be exciting with our cooking and inventive, but also be accomodating with our bands.

So I thought I would start the ball rolling and see if anyone else has some ideas.

I suppose the big hitter for me is BBQ's and dinner for friends.

Looking forward to your posts!

There's a recipes area that might have some good info for you.

My band doesn't effect my ability to cook, have people over, etc. Either I add in something to accomodate myself (e.g. if we're grilling steaks, I will get some turkey hotdogs or turkey patties since I don't eat red meat).

BBQ when done right is very tender and moist - ideal band food traits.

dinner for friends - this hasn't changed one bit. I still enjoy cooking for friends, and will eat some variant of what they're eating (variants only needed when it's red meat).

There's a recipes area that might have some good info for you.

My band doesn't effect my ability to cook, have people over, etc. Either I add in something to accomodate myself (e.g. if we're grilling steaks, I will get some turkey hotdogs or turkey patties since I don't eat red meat).

BBQ when done right is very tender and moist - ideal band food traits.

dinner for friends - this hasn't changed one bit. I still enjoy cooking for friends, and will eat some variant of what they're eating (variants only needed when it's red meat).

thanks for the advice, I'll check out the recipies section.

I'm personally reluctant to eat prepackaged processed foods such as turkey sausages and rissoles, so maybe the recipe site will give me some good ideas.

I'm hoping not to have to always have to prepapre a separate dish for me, but also not looking to prepare easily digesatble food for my friends coinsistantly.

cheers!

I still enjoy steak but I go for the very small, extra tender, fillet cuts, rather than a big old t-bone, as in past days. You need to be careful to chew thoroughly, but shouldn't have problems if you aren't too tight. And I LOVE me some marinated BBQ skinless chicken thighs!! (Had that for dinner last night :huh2:)

I still enjoy steak but I go for the very small, extra tender, fillet cuts, rather than a big old t-bone, as in past days. You need to be careful to chew thoroughly, but shouldn't have problems if you aren't too tight. And I LOVE me some marinated BBQ skinless chicken thighs!! (Had that for dinner last night :huh2:)

Fanny,

thanks for this, this is exactly what I was looking for, some real life advise from banders as to what they have been able to substitiute and re introduce into their diets.

good luck on your weight loss.

god what I'd give to chew something!!! day 6 of liquids is killing me, 8 days to MUSHIES! My teeth and jaw will wonder whats hit them.

Edited by batkitty
typo

The liquid/mushie stage is hell but you'll get there, batkitty! I've found I haven't had any trouble with any type of food, as long as I pay attention while I'm eating, cut really small bites and chew chew chew. The only two times I've gotten stuck (both since the last fill), have been when I was talking 100 miles an hour while eating and just didn't pay attention to the chewing. I WON'T be doing that again, let me tell you! Hurt like HELL!!

Good luck with it all!

Well first there was canneloni.. then there was scrambled eggs ... then their was soggy weetbix... mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

i'm going to do potato bake tonight!

There is absolutely NO need to eat boring things and give up your cooking.

I love to cook, spent all Saturday cooking up an Indian feast for guests. I tend to choose recipes that arent too fatty though, and despite my love of muffins, cakes etc I dont actually like cooking those things (and I suck at it. Rock cakes are my speciality, tee hee).

But oh, that aromatic lamb curry. Yuuuuuuummm. With some cucumber raita, lentil dahl, and saffron rice, all cooked by moi. Nice and lean, no added fat, all lovely fresh ingredients, it was delish.

There is no way you have to give that up after banding. You just eat smaller portions but you dont have to not enjoy eating any more. The main difference here is there's 2 dinners worth still in the freezer!

Now, if you're up to mushies - I really LOVED Mushies. So good after liquids. I ate loads of salads of avocado, chickpeas, cucumber and Tomato (skinned) with a tin of flavoured tuna, lentil dahl with a dollop of greek yogurt and lemon juice, a divine basil and lentil Soup that I made, mashed mixed vegetables with gravy, yummy gourmet yogurts, etc etc.

Hi saw one of your posts, see you are doing very well, and you eat lots of indian type curry, dal, and lamb, im not banded yet, but i will be in a few weeks, im 38 living in sydney like to hear how you went, and how long it all took, my bmi is about 36, i need to lose around 30kgs

would be really happy to hear from you, thanks . jo.

Pre band i hated to cook, KFC was my favourite food and I spent zero time in the kitchen. Now I cant stand fast food (KFC is near my gym and the smell coming thru the door in the afternoon makes me want to puke). Suddenly I have discovered that yummy food does not really mean greasy junk, I spend hours looking thru cookbooks for delicious healthy meals. Last night I had lemon chicken and vegie rice and like Jachut said I have enough left over for tonight too.

Im no angel i still love chocolate and icecream I am just getting better at balancing the good with the bad.

Have been told by a few banded friends that when marinating, put in about 2tsp of bicarb soda, mixed with about 2tsp Water, this makes the meat very tender, even allowing them to consume red meats.< /p>

I was once told by a cook, when tenderising meat, cover it with some kiwi fruit for about 20 minutes, not much longer. The acids eat through and make it extra tender.

hey everyone,

im still on mushies, anyone else feel like an old ducky?

im an icu nurse and in between breaks which some times can be unpredicatable, and coffee, and running around, i found that having the normal Water bottle filled with diet cordial since its unlimited, i love the red stuff, start bouncing off the walls!!!

im not sure if this will help any one else who isnt a fan of lots of Water.

i have many a low fat cook book and am looking at how i can change to suit.

i love cooking, but used to get lazy and eat total junk and chocie, now im actually not interested, i just need to feel the bigger cut and think is it worth it,

i wish everyone well!!!!