Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr unable to get saline back into band after removing for fill

My sister and I both have lap bands which were fitted in Belgium 18 months ago and 6 months ago respectively.

My sister went for a fill this week and the nurse removed all of the saline from her band 3.5mls and then was unable to get this back in (the intention was to add a fill of 1ml making 4.5 in total) She told her that she may have a 'kink' in her tubing. She is going back tomorrow to try again but if this doesn't work it will be back to the surgeon in Belgium.

Anyone heard of this problem before?

As you can imagine she is distraught.

Thanks

Chelle x

What fill method did the nurse use? E.g. blind, fluoro, etc. I'm far from a band expert but it seems odd that a kink would prevent the fill from going back in, but not from being withdrawn. If you think of a kinked hose, it's blocked both ways. And if your sister wasn't kinked when the Fluid was removed, and just stayed in one position, there's no rationale for it spontaneously becoming kinked.

Perhaps she can advocate for some further testing or methods before making the trip again. E.g. fluoro fill, xray to see if any kinks can be seen, etc.

My doctor had little problem removing some Fluid but he kept at it by pushing that darn neddle down hard to make sure it all the way in.. He was finally able to get it out but it hurt... ;(

I'm at a good restriction now...

I hope your sister is all right... maybe the nurse not experienced enough to fill up the port? Hope she have better luck next time she go in.. good luck

Thanks guys

Wheetsin - I totally agree with your logic there. The fill was 'blind' and she is going to see the most experienced fill nurse tomorrow so hopefully she will be able to sort it out.

Thankfully Belgium is not too far (a couple of hours on Eurostar) so not the end of the world if she has to go back, bit of a pain though.

Antsmith101 - the nurse had 6 attemps to refill my sister's band and still didn't manage it. I have everything crossed for her for tomorrow but best to go back to the surgeon I think if the problem persists.

I have just frightened myself to death reading about complications on here this afternoon, so guess I's better go away and be sensible for a while!!!

Thank you for your responses.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• Ladiva04

Hello,
      I had my surgery on the 25th of June of this year. Starting off at 117 kilos.😒
      · 1 reply
      1. NeonRaven8919

Congrats on the surgery!

• Sandra Austin Tx

I’m 6 days post op as of today. I had the gastric bypass 
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • RacMag  »  bhogue925

Hi, I’m new here. I’m currently on the liver shrinking diet. So far so good, but I have to say I haven’t found a protein shake I like. Anyone have any suggestions please? My surgery date is September 17th. 
      · 2 replies
      1. BlondePatriotInCDA

Fairlife Core are by far the best. They taste just as they are - chocolate milk. You can either get the 26 grams or the 42 grams (harder to find and more expensive). For straight protein look at Bulksuppliments.com ..they have really good whey proteins and offer auto ship plus they test for purity. No taste or smell...

2. BlondePatriotInCDA

Fairlife has strawberry, vanilla and of course chocolate. No more calories than other protein drinks. Stay away from Premiere, they're dealing with lawsuits due to not being honest about protein content.

• Doctor-Links

HGH For Sale
      hgh for sale at our online pharmacy

Human growth hormone (HGH) is a small protein which is made in part of the brain called the pituitary gland. It travels in your bloodstream all over your body to make your body grow.
      HGH is very important in the body. It is needed for children to grow normally. It helps make sure there is enough muscle and fat in the body. It keeps our bones healthy.
      Buy Rybelsus online, Rybelsus tablets
      You can order for wegovy at our online pharmacy
      Check for the prices of 0.25mg, 0.5mg and 1mg at our online pharmacy and buy ozempic.
      · 0 replies
    • Doctor-Links

hgh kaufen  in unserer Online-Apotheke  
      Menschliches Wachstumshormon (HGH) ist ein kleines Protein, das in einem Teil des Gehirns, der Hypophyse, produziert wird. Es wandert in Ihrem Blutkreislauf durch Ihren ganzen Körper, um Ihren Körper wachsen zu lassen.
      · 0 replies
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches