Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I need to know what you all think I should do. I have a surgery date of April 30.

I had a panic attack about 6 weeks ago. I thought I was having a heart attack and made my DH race home to take me to the hospital.

It was a full blown PA. I was in the ER for 10 hours with blood work and ekg's ect.. I had just had my stress test pre lap band, and it was all fine.

Anyway... I had also had my 1st of 2 visits with the shrink for the psych eval. The hospital gave me some valium and sent me home.

A few days after the PA, I took my psych exam (500+ questions) and the next week I had my 2nd psych eval. And he passed me.

I did not tell him about the panic attack, for fear it would keep me from getting this surgery.

I also have been seeing a counselor for the last 5 years (1x a month) and I have not told her yet, she works in the same office as the shrink (he is her boss) and I am afraid she'll tell him and he will call the insurance and they will change their approval.

Should I tell my counselor??

I don't think it is lap-band related. Honestly. As far as the surgery goes, I feel I am really at peace with it, even getting alot excited.

At the time, many crazy things had been going on and one big thing pushed me over the edge. I also have a almost 5 year old DD and 17 month old DS and I am almost 40. AND I went from 2 1/2 packs of cigarettes a day down to 1 or 2 individual cigarettes a day. (currently 1 or 2 a week- just need to stop all together and be done with it).

should I tell her after the surgery? I hate being a liar and I feel like I am leaving a big piece of my life out when I see her.

I have an appointment tomorrow and I don't know if I should bite my tounge for 31 more days.

Just wondering what others might do.....

Thanks!

In my opinion you need to tell your counselor what is going on with the panic attacks and with the upcoming surgery. Maybe you can be put on some type of med to calm you down.

Take care.

I agree with Long2BFree. Why pay the therapist and Psyc. doc and not tell them something is going on?

I don't think having a PA would cause him to pull his approval. He will probably start you on some meds to make the PA's stop to ensure you do well before, during and after the surgery!

The thing about PA's is that you can never tell when they are going to hit you. Talk to the doc. Better safe than sorry.

Good luck with everything!!

Honestly, you should tell your counsellor, because even though the object of this particular game is to get their approval for lap-banding, they really are there to help you as well.

I would tell the counselor about the panic attacks. I have panic attacks that are mentrual cycle related. I told the psych. about them. The surgeon and every other medical worker I've been in contact would know because they always ask what medications you're taking. I take clonazepam for a few days a month starting the 3rd day of my period. So if they know I'm taking clonazepam, they know I have anxiety issues or panic attacks. I'm having my surgery tomorrow so no one seemed to have an issue with it. Tell the counselor or psych and maybe they can give you pointers on dealing with them.

well, coming from someone who had a full blown panic attack 15 minutes before i was wheeled to the surgery, the one thing i think you need to really think over is why you are having a panic attack. is it truly NOT related to the lapband? or is it? ill tell ya one thing about me. my panic attacks have TOTALLY been about the lapband, and in my opinion, for a good reason. this surgery is a HUGE lifetime change and comitment. this isn't like buying a car, and if you dont like it you can take it back... its forever. and if you are anything like me, food has been a friend to you. saying goodbye to that is soooooo freakin hard. absolutely tell your counselor, because she can help you, you guys can talk out the TRUE reason you had the panic attack and go from there. panic attacks suck.... best of luck,...send another message if you need anything...

Panic Attacks suck!!!!

I work for a Hospital system and I deal with hospital insurance billing, so I wanted to share a little information...

1st, If you went to the ER, chances are they got your ER records. If not, the bill will have a Diagnosis code of Panic attack. So I would not be worried about the insurance overturning there approval.

2nd, I would definately talk with someone (your counsoler). Most of the time panic attacks are NOT a 1 time thing. When I had my 1st PA, the ER doc asked all kinds of questions. I told the dr. what was going on in my life, he said I was stressed. i told him i didn't feel like i was, he said my body was trying to tell me something else. I was put on an anti depressant. I was convinced I didn't need it. A week later I was in the er again. I too thought i was having a heart attack, and blood clots and many other maladies. I started on the AD, my PCP ordered a small dose of Xanax to use as needed. I went to a counsoler for about 8 weeks, and finally realized that the meds were helping me.

3rd, I don't know about your doc, but my doc said depression, anxiety, and panic attacks are very common in obese people, and that would never disqualify a person for surgery. He actually refered to depression and generalized anxiety/panic disorder as a comorbidity! He also advised that many people are able to come off their meds with weight loss because they have better self esteem and are healthier. Also I believe the surgey probably did contribute to the PA... only because you are anxious and excitedto start your new life and weather you realize it, you are probably a little afraid of the unknown.

Hang in there girl, but please talk to your counsoler, you will be amazed how much better you will feel. Just by reading your post I can tell that not telling this is weighing on you heavily. You don't want to end up with another PA. You will be fine, and you will still get ur surgery! I am sure of it!

Good luck and don't worry! Keep us all posted!

I am so glad I posted this question!!

THANK YOU all so much for the great advice!

Virgo girl - you are right & DUH! on my part, of course the insurance would see the PA, so from here on out, I know they know.

Lifechange82 - I am beginning to wonder if in the back of my mind its the surgery causing all my anxities, and I am making excuses. What happened when you had the attack 15 minutes before surgery? did they give you anything? was it really bad or manageable? How are you doing now with the lap band and are you still having panic attacks?

To all - I have an appointment tonight with my counselor and I am going to tell her.

Do be honest. Lying (including by omission) is only going to hurt you in the long run.

I told my counselor last night and all is well. I felt like a child who had lied to their mommy. (no wonder I'm in therapy).

She was not mad, and did not seem overly concerned. She actually gave me some really great tips on how to get through a panic attack if it happens again!

Thanks to all of you!

Wow...if that doesn't hit close to home...I have been approved for the surgery and was supposed to have it back in January...I was SO nervous...I had pondered, prayed and asked everyone (family, friends, my psych) under the sun if I was doing the right thing...My surgery was scheduled for Monday and on Saturday, I ended up getting carpet cleaner in my eye and scratching my eye and then on Sunday, my surgeon called me and told me he was stuck out of town and would not be able to perform my surgery on Monday so I took that as maybe, these are signs that I am NOT meant to have this surgery... I took a month to think and try to lose weight on my own and finally decided it was probably just my nerves...I decided to have the surgery again...I rescheduled it for March 21. The week of my surgery, my children and I all got the Flu... My biggest fear, is that I will have the surgery and it won't work for me...That I will still use food as a comfort. This is something I am really on the fence about. I wish I had an answer for you...but I can't even decide if this is what is meant for me...sorry...