Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Preschool Teacher vs. Elementary School Teacher?

Hey everyone, just looking for some words of wisdom perhaps. I am a college student in the second semester of my sophomore year. I go to a four year school and am currently an art education major, which also requires a minor in basic education, grades k-8, although I would prefer to be an art teacher in an elementary school, which where I live is grades K-4. As of right now, my parents pay for school, mainly because I work part time as a waitress and am completely broke. I'm taking a full course load now and I am HATING all these teaching classes! They are so hard! And its full of all these technical mumbo jumbo terms and such I can't seem to follow.

A big part of me would like to transfer my credits to the community college down my street and get my associates so I can become a preschool teacher. Then maybe when I feel I am really ready I can go back to school and get my bachelors?

Another part of me wonders if I should change my major to early childhood education, which I think includes Kindergarten teaching. I'm starting to doubt my abilty in all of these art classes and all of these secondary education classes I am taking with all of the future high school and middle school teachers.

Just wondering if anyone on here has any experience in any of these jobs and would like to tell me a bit about their experiences, pay (if its not to personal, although I know theres not much we keep personal on this site haha) and school/certification. I'm just really unsure of what direction I would like to go in. I would greatly appreciate any and all feedback!

Allison

Edited by Allison
sp.

I dont know what its like there, but the difference here between pre school teaching and primary school teaching is mainly to do with curriculum. In my state in Australia we have VELS (Victorian Essential Learning Standards) which I have to learn inside out, back to front and sideways.

But as a preschool teacher, you can teach early primary grades.

I think really that it has to do with what age group you really want to teach. I've had preps (five year olds in their first year of school) every single teaching rounds I've been placed on and I find the younger kids VERY difficult to work with, without prior literacy and mathematical knowledge, its so hard to teach! I see myself with 10 year olds, 11 year olds, that kind of age group. Not that you get a lot of choice about it all the time. But to teach preschool you really need to love little children and although I have my own kids, I dont goo and gaa over little children, and I dont particularly want to wipe snotty noses and that sort of stuff either.

Secondary doesnt appeal to me in the slightest.

Teachers are all underpaid severely in Australia and its almost impossible to score more than a one year contract. To get into the private system would be a dream.

Well, if your state is anything like Jersey, I'd say don't bother teaching preschool...unless you don't mind making about 25,000 (or under) a year. Here there is no money in teaching in preschool. If I were you I'd wait it out and get a job in a public school. That's where the money is. I teach in a public school, and my mom used to teach in a preschool. Yes, teaching is very rewarding, but if you are the sole income provider, preschool is not going to cut it. Sorry! :scared2:

Definitely elementary. Our preschool teachers at my daughter's school make $8.50 an hour...and I am in a very wealthy part of NJ...

When you work in the school system, you are protected under the union. Because it is so generous and loving in nature, people tend to forget that teachers need to get paid appropriately for the work that they do. A union makes sure that you don't get taken advantage of.

I am a secondary teacher...would HATE elementary and preschool...most days I barely can stand my own (is that bad???)..

rain

As a nearly 40 year old who is in college let me say this,

GET YOUR BACHALORS DEGREE NOW!

Don't think you'll go back it is really really hard. Much harder than learning some technical terms. Money becomes an issue, time becomes an issue...it is harder than you can imagine.

So, if what you are doing at the 4 year place isn't compelling, look at a different major. How about a straight up art degree? If you think no to that because you won't make money, then becoming a preschool teacher isn't going to get you paid either.

Don't, don't, don't do the community college thing if you are already in a 4 year school. Com College is a fantastic solution when 4 year college isn't a choice, but girl, it is a step back from where you are.

Hope that isn't to harsh. It is my old lady experience speaking. If you were my niece I'd tell you the same thing.

I agree 1000% with OH Juli (although, with that "1000%" stat, you can tell math is not my thing) about going to school later. Finish your bach now. It only gets much, much harder as you get older and life gives you more valid reasons to NOT go back to school. Just do it!

Hey everyone! Thanks for all the imput, I really do appreciate what everyone has had to say! I'm pretty sure I will probably stick it out at my state school right now. I think I am just having a really rough semester right now so I think I was just getting scared off. I'm sure everyone has felt like this at one time or another. Next semester maybe I can get a job during the day and go to school at night or something. As long as I have a lot of options, I know I'll be ok, thanks for all the help again!

Allison