Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Day 2 post op - and oh the bloating!

Left the hospital today . . operated yesterday 22nd April. so far so good .... the operation went really well. it was alot less stress and pain free then gall bladder operation I had a few years ago. Almost no discomfort in abdomin area except for slight tenderness. there is though some pain on my shoulder with the build up of gas. I didnt even need any strong pain killers which I was told was best to avoid as it can make somem people nauseous. not even panadol required. I started walking a few hours post surgery as advised. although this hurts more (gas) it helps get rid of the gas eventually so you just have to do it. walked again this morning and tonight. physiotherapist showed me some exercised that I have to do twice daily and a breathing exercise. actually that was probabl the hardest thing when I woke up from surgery. It was hard to take deep breaths. ok now though. but still have probs breathing deep = is this normal?? feeling quite full today of course and on liquids only - but I don't miss food at all. the gas build up is the worst of it all. despite burbing and wind not much relief..... yes moving and sitting upright is helping.......but have to get some de gas i think. nurses said gas lasts up to 1 week.....has it been so for you guys??

hi Lita - seems like the surgery went very well for you. The gas problem lasted about a week for me - it was not pretty :-) Lucky you haven't needed pain killers - I personally stayed on the good stuff for 4 days post op - mind you, I had some pretty serious bruising also.

I was banded in Sydney also - on 7 April, so I'm 2 weeks ahead of you.

Take care, and let us know if you have any questions.

Hi Lita

The breathing exercises were the worst for me! It took about a week before I could do it properly. The physio gave me a contraption that I had to suck the life out of to lift three balls. My god it was difficult, but I got there and I am glad I persisted.

I didn't have any gas, but I had mild shoulder pain but I never took pain killers for it. It did last about a week and then voila you start to feel alive again.

There was no hunger from me for at least three weeks after surgery. You may or may not feel the same.

Keep up the good recovery.

Left the hospital today . . operated yesterday 22nd April. so far so good .... the operation went really well. it was alot less stress and pain free then gall bladder operation I had a few years ago. Almost no discomfort in abdomin area except for slight tenderness. there is though some pain on my shoulder with the build up of gas. I didnt even need any strong pain killers which I was told was best to avoid as it can make somem people nauseous. not even panadol required. I started walking a few hours post surgery as advised. although this hurts more (gas) it helps get rid of the gas eventually so you just have to do it. walked again this morning and tonight. physiotherapist showed me some exercised that I have to do twice daily and a breathing exercise. actually that was probabl the hardest thing when I woke up from surgery. It was hard to take deep breaths. ok now though. but still have probs breathing deep = is this normal?? feeling quite full today of course and on liquids only - but I don't miss food at all. the gas build up is the worst of it all. despite burbing and wind not much relief..... yes moving and sitting upright is helping.......but have to get some de gas i think. nurses said gas lasts up to 1 week.....has it been so for you guys??

Lita, congrats on the op, good times ahead.

walking walking walking ... hot tea is nice, I drank black tea either normal or green most if the first week, provided some relief.

a bit of bending and stretching worked well, gentley gently.

and read through the pages here, helped me immensly

thanks for the encouragement girls....... luscious we should definately keep in touch. Peek - I am already getting hunger pangs believe it or not. sometimes I wonder if it still the gas persisting but it sure feels like hunger. mind u I get full very quickly. I feel much better today - I was lifting all three balls on that respiratory thingy yesterday and now only the deepest of breaths causes discomfort. so I guess I am doing well - could that explain the hunger also????

HI! im on day four after banding. yes still getting the wind. but defintiely walking about helps trememndously. and sitting upright.

im quite sore but the kind dr gave me strong tablets to take home. hopefuly i wont need them too long.

when i logged on i saw new threatds about feeling cold and weak. help they have scared me, but i think i tbetter to ask the dr, not to read too much into what people on here say to eat,, I do hae a menu plan from dietician who says have an Optifast shake or Sustagen prepackaged drink. and drinking yoghurt. so far i havent although i have had one sustagen. guess its day by day.

HI! im on day four after banding. yes still getting the wind. but defintiely walking about helps trememndously. and sitting upright.

im quite sore but the kind dr gave me strong tablets to take home. hopefuly i wont need them too long.

when i logged on i saw new threatds about feeling cold and weak. help they have scared me, but i think i tbetter to ask the dr, not to read too much into what people on here say to eat,, I do hae a menu plan from dietician who says have an Optifast shake or Sustagen prepackaged drink. and drinking yoghurt. so far i havent although i have had one sustagen. guess its day by day.

Jet don't be scared, take it day by day and don't try and compare yourself to others.

I have had a few set backs the month since my op, but unlike many other things that happen in my life I am being patient. Taking each day as it comes.

Have my first fill on monday via x-ray! and rather than go off reading how everyones elses first fill went and then worrying that I'm different, I'm taking it slow.

stay well :smile2:

Hi, I am new here and an Aussie too.I was banded yesterday,had an awful first night and came home today.I am really sore and sorry for myself today.hoping it will get better over weekend,going back to work Tuesday.:wub:

Hi Ozygirl, welcome !!

It will definately get better. I also had a lot of pain, lots of bruising, etc. I was feeling much better after about 5-6 days. I actually took 2 weeks off work, but could probably have gone back after 8-9 days. Please take it easy - Tuesday is quite soon to return to work. I hope your job is not too stressful or physical, you will probably have to take things quite slowly.

Best wishes on your journey.

Hi Ozygil

Yes Tuesday is very early to go back to work. I took 7 days off and I think it was just enough time for me, because I have an office type job. Make sure you take it easy and walk around alot. I guess for me I couldn't go back although the pain was no longer there the gas was quite bad and would have been embarrassing..........ehehehehe if you know what I mean. I Had a couple of depreion days where I was thinking why and what have I done...... but this only lasted 1 day really and happened about 3 days after my operation. So just remember that it gets better . . . especially when you start feeling better....

Thanks for the encouragement, we went out today and I did a bit of walking but have now fell in a heap, I work as a dog groomer and will have someone with me Tuesday but may ask her to work Wed and thurs also.My job is very physical, but not so hard if I'm only doing small dogs.

Gas is bad and I feel like I'm 7 mths pregnant.Can't wait to pass that stage and start to see results.

I am psychologically hungry but not physically,it's like giving up smoking,it's the demons in your head you have to fight.