Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Why LapBand?

I am thinking about this right now - and I am getting nervous from some of the post that I have read.

So - Why did you all choose the lap band over getting gastric bypass?

I know someone who gainned some weight back with the gastric and some I had seen lose so much weight that they really look sick. Some people say that you are always running to the bathroom after you eat. A relative of mine had it and she is almost 1 year post and she is still nausea after eating. It was much more expensive than lapband also. Thats why I went with the lapband. That is just my opinion, I am not downing the gastric because to me it pretty much is the same, you just don't get fills like the lapband. I just think with the lapband you can get as much restiction as you want where as the bypass you can't. My thoughts could be wrong, this is just my opinion.

If you search this forum you'll find that this is a very common question and you'll find some great answers.

My reasons for choosing this option were simple... I was willing to do the work to lose the weight, I just needed help with the job and I felt the band would offer me that help. I also did not want to permanently change the physiology of my body or risk the malnutrition that is common with bypass patients. The risk of dying due to surgery were also much greater and that was just not something I was willing to risk. The other determining factor for me was that everyone I'd met that had had GB had gained a good amount of weight back. I liked that with the band and restriction I'd have a tool that would help me maintain my weight loss for life. Start gaining again? Go in an have a fill... nice to have that option.

Good luck to you in making your decision!

A lot of people have their opinion about this. Personally, my Dad has GB 7 years ago and he almost died from complications. Then he quickly lost the weight, but he looked sickly and he always had horrible diarrhea (AKA dumping syndrome) and he would have to run to the bathroom during every meal. Then he started to eat "around" the surgery and has put back on over 100lbs of the weight that he lost. He stretched out his stomach. So he asked the dr to go back in and make it smaller again and the dr said no bc the stomach lining was too thin now.

So, I guess my main reason for getting the LB instead of GB are:

1. less complications

2. Adjustability, if I find myself gaining I can add more fill or I can also remove fill if I get pregnant or want to go on vacation and eat.

3. reversability if I need to

4. slower weight loss is healthier

Probably for all the same reasons already listed. I know several people who had GB and I think they look sick afterwards. I always try to go for the least extreme option and LB gives slower, more natural weight loss and leaves my insides the way God intended them. If there is ever a health issue I can have my band loosened and even removed if necessary. I see way too many people get fat again after GB and with the band I always have my tool that can be tweaked. I like eating sugar on occasion and fat is my friend and with GB you get really sick if you eat them. I want to eat birthday cake on my birthday and pie at Thanksgiving and not sit in the bathroom for an hour afterwards wishing I was dead!

For me, the risks are higher with GB. The death rate is higher not only during surgery but after from malnutrition. I know someone who died about a year after GB because she stopped taking her Vitamins and B12 because she felt fine without them. I don't know if it's related or not but my Aunt had GB and ended up getting a pacemaker about 8 years after the surgery, so that is scary to me. The same Aunt gained all of her weight back about 10 years after the surgery. I saw a show on television a couple of years ago about a young woman who had GB and it caused to become extremely ill, diminishing her quality of life and was told she would die if she didn't have the surgery reversed. The surgery is very difficult to reverse from what I've read.

I've had two cousins who have been banded and are doing wonderfully.

My mom and sister had GB 4 and 6 years ago respectively and both are doing great BUT they use their surgeries like banders do. As a TOOL. My sister's husband also had GB after my sis and he's gained most of his weight back and blames the surgery for not working. He eats til he pukes then goes back and eats some more.

My reasons for looking into LB:

Don't have to cut up and rearrange my insides.

I only started gaining weight in my early 20's and have about 100lbs to lose. I'm hoping to avoid PS with a slower loss and less time being fat overall. My mom and sis were both very heavy ALL of their lives.

Very important - shorter down time. I have a toddler at home and a husband who's a fireman and on duty half the week. I can't be down for weeks and weeks.

Another very important - less risk during surgery. Yes, it is surgery and there is ALWAYS a risk of dying or major complications, BUT the risk is dramatically decreased with LB vs. GB surgery.

Less chance of malnutrition problems, dumping syndrome, puking b/c something doesn't agree with you, etc.

The adjustability of the band. Although I'm going to have to travel several hours for fills and un-fills, I like the idea of being able to have an adjustable tool to help me keep the weight off.

I don't mind the hard work. It's the working so hard only to see the weight come back again and again that I hate. I lost 60lbs on WW and felt great. Hit a bump in the road and never recovered from getting stuck in my process. Ended up gaining all but 10lbs of it back. I've since been fooling with the same darn 10lbs for the last year. It ticks me off and I'm tired of trying so hard and not getting anywhere. SO, I've started this process and we'll see where it takes me. I don't want to be the fat mom when my DD starts school. I hate meeting my DH's co-workers for the first time and wondering what they think (he's 6'3" and about 190, I'm 5'3" and 236). I'm tired of being tired and things being sore or stiff and being winded when I climb a hill or stairs.

SO, for me, LB is the way to go. I'd suggest that you make a list of pros and cons and go from there. You have to work hard with any WLS so if you are looking at WLS then you need to look at all aspects of all of them. I'd suggest hanging out on this board and reading the good, bad and ugly. Yes, it sounds scary but at least you'll be informed. And you are going to hear a lot of ugly sometimes b/c people come here to talk about it in order to get some help or just find that they aren't the only ones. Personally, I'd rather hear about ALL of it before-hand then find out about some of this the hard way AFTER!

Okay, this was a very long post. Sorry! Best wishes in your decision!

I liked the lower risk of complications, decreased expense, decreased downtime. Best of all, it is adjustable. If I am willing to put in the work, there is no reason why the option would not work for me. It was hard to make the decision but once I did I have never regretted it for a minute

Hi,

Im new to posting here so i hope you dont mind my dropping in my opinion.

I have had the band 7 years, i got it when i was 15. It saved my life and i wouldn't change it for the world but it is a huge learning curve!

A lot of people think it is an easy way to lose weight ... IT ISNT. Its still bloody hard but it is easier then not having it at all.

I chose the band because it is reversable more so then the bypass, the bypass is also in my opinion more dangerous and can cause serious malnutrition.

Having said that it is something that you must decide for yourself, there are pros and cons with everything, unfortunatly.

I can tell you that the band can be a wonderful thing if you make sure you dont stuff food in your face so fast you throw it back up lol, but you soon learn not too!

Sorry, im babbling.

If you would like to see my results i just posted them in the before and after, here is a link http://www.lapbandtalk.com/f17/before-after-pictures-pix-only-4642/index82.html#post778363

I am happy to answer any questions you need help with and i hope this helped you a bit. A least i can show you the band IS a long term success, for me anyway :-)

Bel

Everyone is different. I know some people who have NEVER worked out and lost all their weight with the band.

Unfortunately, I am not one of those people :thumbup:

I have a more difficult time losing weight so I had to incoporate exercise early into my program to see results.

I work out 6 days a week for about 1.5-2 hours a day of cardio and then I also do an additional 4 hours of strength training a week.

Increasing your muscle mass will increase the rate you burn calories. Sometimes just a little movement will boost your metabolism to get weight loss going again.

Oh Tulipstar i so know what you mean! I am so envious of those people who lose it without the exercise. I too have to work my butt off on the cardio and weights, didn't always mind you but you gotta love plateau's

Bel

Thank you everybody! I really feel the same way - and this just makes me feel good about my decision.

Thanks again

Well Good luck with it, not that you'll need it. Please dont forget to come back and share your journey!

i do love pics