Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Fibromyalgia and Exercise

I have fibromyalgia and I'm really worried about the exercise routine after I have the surgery.

What if I am unable to do any exercise (like now) because of the pain levels I experience 24/7?

If you were to ask me how bad the pain is from the Fibromyalgia, daily, I would have to say 8 out of 10 on a good day. (10 being the worst):teeth_smile:

How do I deal with that?

I have been where you are and want to tell you that I got through it. I was a mess (long before LB surgery). What I can tell you is that if you eat the way you should eat after being banded and follow the instructions, it can only help your fibro. The low carb diet has been found to be the most helpful for people with fm. You don't need to exercise like a triathlete! Just walk. That is good for fm and will help you lose weight. I hired a personal trainer 4 years ago and was absolutely petrified that he was going to make me sicker and my fibro. symptoms have gotten 80% better since working out with him.We have taken it slow, but you would be amazed at the stuff I am doing and the weights I am able to lift! Exercise helps with sleep, too. The surgery just helped, it didn't affect my fm at all. I am basically fibromyalgia free and have had no flare ups since surgery (october of 2007) Don't be afraid to exercise. Just don't overdo it. Be willing to walk even when you are hurting.

Right now I am at the point where I walk, barely, with two canes. I can not go for more than maybe 20 feet then back. I KNOW I will be able to do more when I lose the weight, but I'm worried that the lap banding will take too long to lose the weight and that maybe I should have the other one, Gastric Bypass. But I don't want to have that because it's too dangerous. I'm not afraid to exercise. 10 years ago, I used to walk 2.6 miles a day (in the mornings), I used to weight lift, I used to walk during my lunch break at work instead of eating. I've lost all that AND my job. It's been pretty much downhill since 1998. And now my doctor tells me I am probably 3 months outside of being put in a wheelchair. I can't handle that. I'm afraid that will break me.

So, I DO want to exercise. And I will. I'm just afraid everything won't happen fast enough to prevent the wheelchair thing.

Thanks for the response.

Hi Mattie. I have fibromyalgia as well. I agree that walking is a good place to start. Start out at 20 feet and see if you can increase it a little over time. On my bad days it is so hard to go walking. I started walking about 10 years ago when I hurt my back. It helps so much. I am not as stiff. I do find if I will work with weight machines at the YMCA I feel much better. I never stress too much. I go up very slowly. It just helps me feel stronger. Medications I use are Elavil, Lyrica, Zanaflex, and Hydrocodone. Most are to help me sleep at night. I also use acupuncture. It helps also. Funny thing is since my surgery I have not needed to go to acupuncture. It's not that I don't hurt and get depressed, it's just that I have not gotten to the point where I just want to roll around on the floor in pain. I stay away from the hydrocodone except to sleep. Have you tried a pain management center? My doc says most of her fibro patients go there.

I hope this helps some. I know fibromyalgia can be overwhelming. Some days I can hardly get out of my chair. The pressure just feels better and I have no energy on those days. I think losing weight can only help. At least I had more energy when I weighed less. Let me know how things go.

Tina

Taz, thanks for the response post!

I live in a very small town. I did go to the pain management clinic. My doctor gave me the referral.

Bottom line of what they told me was that they could not help me until I lost the weight.

Period.

I take hydrocodone as well. But only at night. I wouldn't be able to function if I took it during the day. And I'm very careful how often as well.

The other medication I take is Skelaxin. It's a muscle relaxer. I'm supposed to take it every 6 hours, but again I only take it at night.

I don't like feeling sleepy or "drugged" all the time so I only take these things at night when it's almost impossible to sleep because of the pain.

I am going to do the best I can with the exercise. I just hope the physiotherapist at the hospital understands fibromyalgia and the impact it has on my body. If not, I'll be more than happy to educate him.

How about if we share our exercising each day. I am having trouble being persistent. It doesnt matter what or how much, just that we do something. I want to take it a bit more seriously than I have lately. I had my gallbladder out Jan 8th and banded Feb 8th. I've just had a bit more trouble recovering than most it seems. I have only started walking again last week. These cold fronts keep coming through Memphis and play holy heck with my fibromyalgia. Anyway, I look forward to hearing from you. It can be about nothing or how awful you may feel on that day. Fibromyalgia is a stinker of a challenge.:scared2: